/ HELP - What am I gonna do now? #1  

Jay4200

Veteran Member
Tractor
L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211
Bear...
Big bear...
Big bear chase me...

I started to pull out a rock yesterday - I'm cutting down the grade in the area a couple of feet and this rock was sticking up a few inches. I expected something a couple - three feet across. When I got to the bottom, well, here's the pic. I tried to include my L4200/Woods 9000BH for scale. Actually, it's bigger than it looks in the picture. Think 'Honda Accord'.

I made it move! Not much, but it's loose (blind determination at work). I don't have a clue of what to do next. Any brilliant suggestions? In the mean time, I'll be out back beating on it with a sledgehammer. See ya in 10 to 20.

Jay

Attachments

• 879519-big_gd_rock 005a.jpg
    879519-big_gd_rock 005a.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 767
   / HELP - What am I gonna do now?
Here's another pic:

Jay

Attachments

• 879520-big_gd_rock 006a.jpg
    879520-big_gd_rock 006a.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 601
   / HELP - What am I gonna do now? #3  
It appears (from your pictures) one side of your excavation is level with the surrounding property. It that's the case, I'd get some chains and try to drag it out. That's a pretty big boulder, so use extreme caution to control the movement. If your property goes down slope, get the boulder far enough out to be able to push it. You don't want to be between the boulder and it's path, should it start tumbling downslope.

Frankly, I think you may need help with this. That boulder may be beyond the safe capabilities of your tractor.

/ HELP - What am I gonna do now? #4  
just for the heck of it try a chain and dragging it, or explosives or leaving it there. just pretend you never saw it.

/ HELP - What am I gonna do now? #5  
Why the heck do you want to move it? That thing would sell as lawn deco in Phoenix for $500.

/ HELP - What am I gonna do now? #6  
1. Hammer drill
2. Feathers
3. Wedges
4. 5 Lb hammer
6. Split rock into smaller pieces
7. Remove from hole

Feathers and wedges are actually a surprisingly fast method of splitting stone.

/ HELP - What am I gonna do now? #7  
Can you just nudge it over into your neighbor's yard--then it's his issue to deal with!

I Hate Rocks! Glad we don't have many here....................

On the issue of explosives, I had to laugh--last time I called digsafe, told them I needed to replace some fence posts, they asked if my efforts would include EXPLOSIVES.

Now there's a unique thought, but my wife and neighbors would likely highly object, as well as the local constables..........

Ron

/ HELP - What am I gonna do now? #8  
this sounds stupid, but did you try and dig a deeper hole next to it and roll it in? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

puck /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ HELP - What am I gonna do now? #9  
Dig beside it a couple of feet deeper and roll it into the hole and cover it over.

/ HELP - What am I gonna do now? #10  
Use DEXPAN and you will then have bunch of smaller rocks with no explosion. It is a controlled expansion agent that gives the same effect as an explosive. Breaking that rock into 3 pieces would probably be enough to then drag out each one quickly.