? On fair price for tracor work

/ ? On fair price for tracor work #1  

RollTideRam

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK 4710 Cab
I was asked to do some landscaping work for my wife's boss. I ran a disc over his yard and went back today to use landscape rake and load the dead grass/dirt on my trailer to haul away. We did not discuss a price, and I am thinking that $30 an hour is fair.
I spent 2.5 hours discing and 2 hours with the yard rake. Another 2 hours loading up and hauling off. This guy is not real talkative and neither am I. Figured I would just send him a bill for $175. Is this a fair price? Thanks, JC

/ ? On fair price for tracor work #2  
I have no idea what the going rates are for you area, but I don't leave the house for less than $50/hr and usually it's $65 with double for the first hour for loading/unloading time.

If I'm able to drive the tractor down the street, I omit the load time. You have to charge something for you time, and something for the wear and tear on the tractor, and you also have fuel costs involved.

I would certainly think at least $40/hr would be fair.

Call someone who has an ad for tractor work in whatever local papers you have there and tell them that you have the same kind of work, and about how much time and find out how much they would charge you to do it if you were really the customer. That should give you an idea of the going rate.
John

/ ? On fair price for tracor work #3  
RTR
I'm fairley close to your area and anything less than $40 an hour and your working for free. Time, Trouble, and fuel cost you money. Why should it be free for your wife's boss?

If he doesn't want to pay write it off as bought experience.

/ ? On fair price for tracor work #4  
My neighbor charges me 50 an hour. More than fair IMO.
Bob

/ ? On fair price for tracor work #5  
JC,

Think you might have a pickle there........... I seldom go into a job without a clear verbal (usually written) estimate of the total bill. The only exception is for a neighbor. Then it's free for short times, or I'll accept anything they offer for longer jobs. These are usually less than 2 hr deals.

The boss might expect it for free, or not. If it were me, I'd talk with him, and say something like "Hey, I usually get $X/hr for what I do with my equipment" and let it go at that. He might give you more or less. But I think you have to graciously accept it.

Some people think I love to do tractor stuff, which I do, but it doesn't make sense for me to pay for fuel, insurance, equipment, MY TIME, and make nothing--worse still is to LOSE $$$$.

Now I bid a fair to me and fair to the customer price. If they don't want to pay me a fair price, they can go buy/rent their own stuff and do it themselves. Not to be harsh, but for most folks, they can pay. If a little old lady wants to give me a pie for helping her out, I consider that my gift to her (I hate to see old people ripped off!). All others should pay the going rate.

For me, anything less than $50/hour, I'm workin' for free.

My two cents.
ron

/ ? On fair price for tracor work #6  
If you are going to charge $30 per hour, IMHO, you might as well do it free. It's too bad you guys didn't discuss this ahead of time. I wonder, do you think he expects you to do it for free?

I would bill him $60 per hour plus any materials you might have used. If you did a professional job, there is no reason not to charge him professional rates.

/ ? On fair price for tracor work #7  
I was making $3.00 an hour in 1958 working up the neighbors property. This included tractor, gas and time. Not sure what that would be in todays wages but it was pretty good back then.
Farwell

/ ? On fair price for tracor work #8  
East Texas wages aren't what there are in other parts of the country and I don't expect to make here what I did in California. For a friend, I think $30 an hour is very fair. Pays for fuel and gives you a few bucks for your time.

If this was a business venture that you wanted to make a living with, or even a side job, than you'd need to check out what the going rate is. Othewise, feel proud for a job well done and enjoy the extra cash.

Eddie

/ ? On fair price for tracor work #9  
RollTideRam, I've been working for the public for years. Here's my opinion, If your just starting out or it's a part time thing and you feel $30 an hour is fair I would bill out at $45 - $50 an hour and discount the bill to the original $30 That way the customer gets a "cheaper" than regular price, he'll probably appreciate that. He'll assume your regular rate is $50 and if he refers you to other people you have a $20 an hour buffer if you find you should ask for more $ next job. Just My Thoughts.

/ ? On fair price for tracor work #10  
We charge $60. per hour, 4 hour minimum, $75. round trip transportation fee for a 30 mile radius from the shop. B3030 HSDC 403 fel.