Help with top link adjustment for rotary cutter.

/ Help with top link adjustment for rotary cutter. #1  

canoetrpr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 cab/hyd shuttle - current, Kubota L3400 - traded
I feel incredibly silly for asking this but obviously I have had some trouble figuring it out on my own.

I fired up my rotary cutter today for the first time.

Shortly after, it was evident that ther was a problem because unless the 3pt hitch kept the front of the cutter very close to the ground, the cutter would be lifted (rear wheel no longer on the ground). This resulted in a few scalped areas.

Ok.. so the top link adjustment was wrong I decided. Undid the top link and re-adjusted and things worked fine for the rest of the job.

However, once the job was done, I could not lift the whole cutter to tranport. I had to drag it all the way back to the barn with the guage wheel on the ground.

So I have only half learned to hook the top link up.

Unfortunately my manual isn't too much help here.

"Raise cutter to transport position and adjust tractor top link until cutter is level in the raised position". Can that make sense?

Can anyone else take a shot at explaining to me a quick and easy way to adjust the top link so that I don't have to scalp the ground for the rear wheel to be in contact with it, and I can still transport it with the guage wheel a foot off the ground.

What do I want the floating link position to be when my cutter is level ground - i.e. front of it touching the down and rear as far up as the rear wheel will take it. Or - where should the floating top link be when I have raised the front to be where I would like it for cutting (about 1/2" below the rear).

/ Help with top link adjustment for rotary cutter.
I feel incredibly silly for asking this but obviously I have had some trouble figuring it out on my own.

I fired up my rotary cutter today for the first time.

Shortly after, it was evident that ther was a problem because unless the 3pt hitch kept the front of the cutter very close to the ground, the cutter would be lifted (rear wheel no longer on the ground). This resulted in a few scalped areas.

Ok.. so the top link adjustment was wrong I decided. Undid the top link and re-adjusted and things worked fine for the rest of the job.

However, once the job was done, I could not lift the whole cutter to tranport. I had to drag it all the way back to the barn with the guage wheel on the ground.

So I have only half learned to hook the top link up.

Unfortunately my manual isn't too much help here.

"Raise cutter to transport position and adjust tractor top link until cutter is level in the raised position". Can that make sense?

Can anyone else take a shot at explaining to me a quick and easy way to adjust the top link so that I don't have to scalp the ground for the rear wheel to be in contact with it, and I can still transport it with the guage wheel a foot off the ground.

What do I want the floating link position to be when my cutter is level ground - i.e. front of it touching the down and rear as far up as the rear wheel will take it. Or - where should the floating top link be when I have raised the front to be where I would like it for cutting (about 1/2" below the rear).

/ Help with top link adjustment for rotary cutter. #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( "Raise cutter to transport position and adjust tractor top link until cutter is level in the raised position". Can that make sense? )</font>

Not on a 3ph mounted cutter i have ever seen. You mention a floating top link, meaning the top of the 3ph frame is not rigid?

It's common practice to use the tractor's position control to assist in holding up the front of the cutter. Often if you allow the tailwheel to carry all the weight, the cutter will wobble on top of it an inch or 2 to either side. Try it basically like you had it originally, only use your lift to pick up the front end a tad but not enough to clear the tailwheel.

/ Help with top link adjustment for rotary cutter. #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( "Raise cutter to transport position and adjust tractor top link until cutter is level in the raised position". Can that make sense? )</font>

Not on a 3ph mounted cutter i have ever seen. You mention a floating top link, meaning the top of the 3ph frame is not rigid?

It's common practice to use the tractor's position control to assist in holding up the front of the cutter. Often if you allow the tailwheel to carry all the weight, the cutter will wobble on top of it an inch or 2 to either side. Try it basically like you had it originally, only use your lift to pick up the front end a tad but not enough to clear the tailwheel.

/ Help with top link adjustment for rotary cutter. #5  
Need more info

What tractor do you have? Does it have position control on the 3pt hitch?

What type of rotary cutter are you using?

Are you sure that the top link on the cutter is installed correctly?

/ Help with top link adjustment for rotary cutter. #6  
Need more info

What tractor do you have? Does it have position control on the 3pt hitch?

What type of rotary cutter are you using?

Are you sure that the top link on the cutter is installed correctly?

I have a Kubotal L3400 and a Woods BB60 rotary cutter. Yes the tractor does have position control on the 3 PT hitch.

In a nutshell, I think what I need to do is to adjust the top link to the right lenght so that there is enough room for the floating top link arm on the mower to pivot such that there is weight on its wheel for a reasonble amount of movement of the position control, but not so much that I cannot lift the darn thing off the ground.

I have a Kubotal L3400 and a Woods BB60 rotary cutter. Yes the tractor does have position control on the 3 PT hitch.

In a nutshell, I think what I need to do is to adjust the top link to the right lenght so that there is enough room for the floating top link arm on the mower to pivot such that there is weight on its wheel for a reasonble amount of movement of the position control, but not so much that I cannot lift the darn thing off the ground.