FEL or 3PTh to lift?

/ FEL or 3PTh to lift? #1  

tinsnip

Silver Member
Tractor
2006 JD 4120
I've been reading a lot of posts re: using the FEL to lift/pull as well as some that mention "putting too much strain on the 3pth hydraulics". Since I'm a noob and have no reputation to protect, I'll ask a stupid question. How do you know when you're putting too much stress on the Hydraulics? Does it ever make sense to use the 3pth to lift with vs. the FEL? Are the mfg. listed weight capacities a good rule of thumb?

I guess that's 3 questions. My intent is to get the work done, but not at the expense of my tractor's long-term health.

Thanks!

/ FEL or 3PTh to lift?
I've been reading a lot of posts re: using the FEL to lift/pull as well as some that mention "putting too much strain on the 3pth hydraulics". Since I'm a noob and have no reputation to protect, I'll ask a stupid question. How do you know when you're putting too much stress on the Hydraulics? Does it ever make sense to use the 3pth to lift with vs. the FEL? Are the mfg. listed weight capacities a good rule of thumb?

I guess that's 3 questions. My intent is to get the work done, but not at the expense of my tractor's long-term health.

Thanks!

/ FEL or 3PTh to lift? #3  
That is not something you generally have to worry about. If you put too much weight on either one, you're not going to lift it. As soon as you see that the load is too heavy, lighten it.

Most modern tractors have relief valves on much of the hydraulics that won't let the pressure from a too-heavy load cause any damage.

Most of the time, you're not going to come across too heavy a load for your lift, but it's not uncommon to find you're outweighed on the FEL, where bends and breaks can happen, but as I said, you'll know quickly, and don't keep trying.

John
EDIT: Keep in mind that 3pt hitches have more lift capability than do FELs. Pretty much you can follow the ratings in you manual. You will seldom find times when you need the full cap. of the hitch.

John

/ FEL or 3PTh to lift? #4  
That is not something you generally have to worry about. If you put too much weight on either one, you're not going to lift it. As soon as you see that the load is too heavy, lighten it.

Most modern tractors have relief valves on much of the hydraulics that won't let the pressure from a too-heavy load cause any damage.

Most of the time, you're not going to come across too heavy a load for your lift, but it's not uncommon to find you're outweighed on the FEL, where bends and breaks can happen, but as I said, you'll know quickly, and don't keep trying.

John
EDIT: Keep in mind that 3pt hitches have more lift capability than do FELs. Pretty much you can follow the ratings in you manual. You will seldom find times when you need the full cap. of the hitch.

John

/ FEL or 3PTh to lift?
Thank you sir.

/ FEL or 3PTh to lift?
Thank you sir.

/ FEL or 3PTh to lift? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've been reading a lot of posts re: using the FEL to lift/pull as well as some that mention "putting too much strain on the 3pth hydraulics". Since I'm a noob and have no reputation to protect, I'll ask a stupid question. How do you know when you're putting too much stress on the Hydraulics?)</font>

I was wondering this myself, until last weekend when I tried to lift one end of a big rock with my FEL. It simply didn't move. I have to assume that meant the rock was too heavy /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

I thought about it, and I believe that you could pull against something that is too big all day w/o damaging anything. When you hit a stop, like when you curl your bucket all the way back for example, you are putting full hydraulic load on the curl cylinders. Obviously, they don't care about being under full load. Otherwize, you'd blow up your hydraulics every time you hit a stop.

Jay

/ FEL or 3PTh to lift? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've been reading a lot of posts re: using the FEL to lift/pull as well as some that mention "putting too much strain on the 3pth hydraulics". Since I'm a noob and have no reputation to protect, I'll ask a stupid question. How do you know when you're putting too much stress on the Hydraulics?)</font>

I was wondering this myself, until last weekend when I tried to lift one end of a big rock with my FEL. It simply didn't move. I have to assume that meant the rock was too heavy /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

I thought about it, and I believe that you could pull against something that is too big all day w/o damaging anything. When you hit a stop, like when you curl your bucket all the way back for example, you are putting full hydraulic load on the curl cylinders. Obviously, they don't care about being under full load. Otherwize, you'd blow up your hydraulics every time you hit a stop.

Jay

/ FEL or 3PTh to lift? #9  
On my tractor you can _hear_ the pressure relief valve. When I hear it, I stop.

/ FEL or 3PTh to lift? #10  
On my tractor you can _hear_ the pressure relief valve. When I hear it, I stop.