LLC or just an insurance policy?

/ LLC or just an insurance policy? #1  

rico304

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4300 w/ FEL
I'm just curious what those of you do who work your tractor for a job. Do you have an LLC and a form of liability ins, or just a liability insurance.

/ LLC or just an insurance policy?
I'm just curious what those of you do who work your tractor for a job. Do you have an LLC and a form of liability ins, or just a liability insurance.

/ LLC or just an insurance policy? #3  
“I would rather hunt with Dick Cheney than ride with Ted Kennedy.”

why?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

..long as I am male, and can swim, I think I'd feel safer riding.

..bein' able to swim is no protection against a bullet.....

Seriouisly, I wouldn't reccomend anyone to rely on doing business through an LLC as protection against a claim.

If your equipment is owned by the LLC, then it is at risk of being taken to satisfy a claim in any event. If you own the equipment but do business with people through the LLC, I think a claimant would probably be successful in urging a court to disregard that as an evasion.

In any event, if you were operating the equipment and something happened to give rise to a claim, the claimant would be suing you personally anyway and claiming that you were negligent. An LLC would not insulate you from such a claim.

Bottom line: Were it me, I'd get insurance. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ LLC or just an insurance policy? #4  
“I would rather hunt with Dick Cheney than ride with Ted Kennedy.”

why?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

..long as I am male, and can swim, I think I'd feel safer riding.

..bein' able to swim is no protection against a bullet.....

Seriouisly, I wouldn't reccomend anyone to rely on doing business through an LLC as protection against a claim.

If your equipment is owned by the LLC, then it is at risk of being taken to satisfy a claim in any event. If you own the equipment but do business with people through the LLC, I think a claimant would probably be successful in urging a court to disregard that as an evasion.

In any event, if you were operating the equipment and something happened to give rise to a claim, the claimant would be suing you personally anyway and claiming that you were negligent. An LLC would not insulate you from such a claim.

Bottom line: Were it me, I'd get insurance. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ LLC or just an insurance policy? #5  
Not having the insurance, regarless of LLC or Corporation is a bad idea. Insurance is a must to protect the assests of the LLC or Corp.

It may be a good idea to form an LLC, but without the insurance, I would think you just as well operate as a sole proprietor.

The LLC allows you not to have to form a separate taxed entity, with some protections of a veil, but as MadDog pointed out, there are ways you can still be sued, and without insurance, you could lose a lot.
John

/ LLC or just an insurance policy? #6  
Not having the insurance, regarless of LLC or Corporation is a bad idea. Insurance is a must to protect the assests of the LLC or Corp.

It may be a good idea to form an LLC, but without the insurance, I would think you just as well operate as a sole proprietor.

The LLC allows you not to have to form a separate taxed entity, with some protections of a veil, but as MadDog pointed out, there are ways you can still be sued, and without insurance, you could lose a lot.
John