normal operation of a rotary cutter?????

/ normal operation of a rotary cutter????? #21  
N8O,

Can you say "global warming"...

/ normal operation of a rotary cutter????? #22  
N8O,

Can you say "global warming"...

/ normal operation of a rotary cutter????? #23  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( N8O,

Can you say "global warming"... )</font>

I can say it, but I can also say Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairey. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, the warming, if its real, regardless of what is causing it, has little to do with ant migration (in my thouroughly uneducated opinion). It is my understanding that their progress northward has been steady over the last 50 or so years. A 1 degree average temp change in the last 10-20 years hasn't pushed that along.

Besides, how do you explain the coyotes? Fifteen to twenty years ago, none, now we're covered with them. Sounds like a wild west movie after sundown.

But, back to the OP, just this weekend I did hit a mound that slowed my engine down for a second. Knocked as many down as I could with the FEL after that. Live and learn.

Oh, and sometimes they do cover over a substantial stump so that it just looks like a mound. Sneaky.

/ normal operation of a rotary cutter????? #24  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( N8O,

Can you say "global warming"... )</font>

I can say it, but I can also say Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairey. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, the warming, if its real, regardless of what is causing it, has little to do with ant migration (in my thouroughly uneducated opinion). It is my understanding that their progress northward has been steady over the last 50 or so years. A 1 degree average temp change in the last 10-20 years hasn't pushed that along.

Besides, how do you explain the coyotes? Fifteen to twenty years ago, none, now we're covered with them. Sounds like a wild west movie after sundown.

But, back to the OP, just this weekend I did hit a mound that slowed my engine down for a second. Knocked as many down as I could with the FEL after that. Live and learn.

Oh, and sometimes they do cover over a substantial stump so that it just looks like a mound. Sneaky.

/ normal operation of a rotary cutter????? #25  
The warmest, what, 8 years EVER, have been in the last 10 years.

A species, be it plant or animal, has a temperature range. They can survive in any area UNTIL the temperature gets either above or below that range. Then the ones who are affected by that temperature "extreme" die. So, what happens is this: These plants and animals slowly spread out into areas that normally would hard freeze too long or at too low a temperature for them to survive. With the global warming, they have moved into areas where they would normally die off in winter and since the warming, have survived. That is MY theory.

In the case of fire ants...they have established themselves in the deep south. Winters are mild enough and cold snaps brief enough for their survival. Each year they spread farther north. Previously the winters at the northern edge of their expansion has killed them keeping them in the south. The last 10 years have been warm and allowed their northern border to move north without killing them. This border will continue to move north until there is a killing freeze to push the border farther south again. They will then begin the northern expansion anew.

Regardless...SC is WELL within the area that fireants can live comfortably.

/ normal operation of a rotary cutter????? #26  
The warmest, what, 8 years EVER, have been in the last 10 years.

A species, be it plant or animal, has a temperature range. They can survive in any area UNTIL the temperature gets either above or below that range. Then the ones who are affected by that temperature "extreme" die. So, what happens is this: These plants and animals slowly spread out into areas that normally would hard freeze too long or at too low a temperature for them to survive. With the global warming, they have moved into areas where they would normally die off in winter and since the warming, have survived. That is MY theory.

In the case of fire ants...they have established themselves in the deep south. Winters are mild enough and cold snaps brief enough for their survival. Each year they spread farther north. Previously the winters at the northern edge of their expansion has killed them keeping them in the south. The last 10 years have been warm and allowed their northern border to move north without killing them. This border will continue to move north until there is a killing freeze to push the border farther south again. They will then begin the northern expansion anew.

Regardless...SC is WELL within the area that fireants can live comfortably.

/ normal operation of a rotary cutter????? #27  
The 8 out of 10 theory has not been true here in North Texas. We have actually had some mild summers temp wise, although more humid. More 96s than 106s as in the past. Decent rain 2 years ago although last year was very dry.

I have knocked down my share of fire ant beds with the brush hog, and killed the tractor a few times. Not much lately however, seems I only have big mounds up around damp areas or areas with electricity that they love to get into. You can get the ants on your ankles almost anywhere on the property, but it could they don't make the big mounds because they are way down deeper trying to stay in the moisture. The past year has been very dry.

/ normal operation of a rotary cutter????? #28  
The 8 out of 10 theory has not been true here in North Texas. We have actually had some mild summers temp wise, although more humid. More 96s than 106s as in the past. Decent rain 2 years ago although last year was very dry.

I have knocked down my share of fire ant beds with the brush hog, and killed the tractor a few times. Not much lately however, seems I only have big mounds up around damp areas or areas with electricity that they love to get into. You can get the ants on your ankles almost anywhere on the property, but it could they don't make the big mounds because they are way down deeper trying to stay in the moisture. The past year has been very dry.

/ normal operation of a rotary cutter????? #29  
Continuing with the thread-jack a bit, global warming is simply our latest term for climatic change. The planet has seen lots of climate swings during it's long existence. The cause of the observable and documented warming trend currently underway is somewhat open to debate, but the fact of the warming isn't argued by anyone except those who might profit from pretending it isn't happening.

California is an example of species fitting in to their environment. There are lots of things that people can grow in Cali most of the time. There are not nearly so many things that grow there naturally. Every once in a while, the things people try to grow there get killed off. The reason is, as previously noted, the extremes that happen only once in a while. It is these occasional extremes in conditions that limit where a species can survive. Up here in Ohio, we have to figure for a frost depth of 3 feet when putting in a foundation. Only rarely do we get a winter with temperatures cold enough for long enough with little enough snow cover to allow the ground to freeze anywhere near that deep, but we have to allow for it or see foundations heave. Same with your fire ants, which are actually a wingless wasp.

You need to factor evolution into the equation a little. Insects reproduce very quickly compared to humans. The appearance of variations that will allow them to deal with colder temperatures, whether it's behavioral and causes them to burrow deeper into the soil or physiological and allows them to experience colder temperatures without dying, might allow some of them to survive a winter that would kill their southern cousins. These survivors then reproduce their own kind, and the process gradually leads to a more cold tolerant population. It's the same process that has allowed pesticide resistant populations of numerous insects to develop, although I didn't know the critters had developed a tolerance for Sevin. Up here, it's really tough on bees, wasps, and the other Hymenoptera. -- Except for the dadgummed carpenter bees that keep trying to eat my house. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ normal operation of a rotary cutter????? #30  
Continuing with the thread-jack a bit, global warming is simply our latest term for climatic change. The planet has seen lots of climate swings during it's long existence. The cause of the observable and documented warming trend currently underway is somewhat open to debate, but the fact of the warming isn't argued by anyone except those who might profit from pretending it isn't happening.

California is an example of species fitting in to their environment. There are lots of things that people can grow in Cali most of the time. There are not nearly so many things that grow there naturally. Every once in a while, the things people try to grow there get killed off. The reason is, as previously noted, the extremes that happen only once in a while. It is these occasional extremes in conditions that limit where a species can survive. Up here in Ohio, we have to figure for a frost depth of 3 feet when putting in a foundation. Only rarely do we get a winter with temperatures cold enough for long enough with little enough snow cover to allow the ground to freeze anywhere near that deep, but we have to allow for it or see foundations heave. Same with your fire ants, which are actually a wingless wasp.

You need to factor evolution into the equation a little. Insects reproduce very quickly compared to humans. The appearance of variations that will allow them to deal with colder temperatures, whether it's behavioral and causes them to burrow deeper into the soil or physiological and allows them to experience colder temperatures without dying, might allow some of them to survive a winter that would kill their southern cousins. These survivors then reproduce their own kind, and the process gradually leads to a more cold tolerant population. It's the same process that has allowed pesticide resistant populations of numerous insects to develop, although I didn't know the critters had developed a tolerance for Sevin. Up here, it's really tough on bees, wasps, and the other Hymenoptera. -- Except for the dadgummed carpenter bees that keep trying to eat my house. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif