Need advise on Gooseneck Utility Trailer

/ Need advise on Gooseneck Utility Trailer #1  

Mike1

I'm planning on upgrading from my current bumper pull 18' trailer that is likely overloaded when hauling my tractor. I've got a Jinma 304 w/ frontloader, that I often have to haul with a 5ft bushhog. The whole package ways around 6,250 lbs. My tow vehicle is a 2004 Dodge 1-ton diesel. I'd like to get a reasonably priced 20' + flatbed gooseneck w/ dovetail ramps. Some advice needed - If I go with the 7k axles, what would be the most appropriate lenght - 20, 22, 24? I'll haul hay with the trailer, so the extra length is a plus, but not good if it allows me to overload the trailer.
Also - does anyone have any experience with one drop leg jack versus 2?
I'll have this trailer forever, but want to keep the price under 5k - any advice on brands?
Anyone have feedback on Kaufman trailers?

/ Need advise on Gooseneck Utility Trailer
I'm planning on upgrading from my current bumper pull 18' trailer that is likely overloaded when hauling my tractor. I've got a Jinma 304 w/ frontloader, that I often have to haul with a 5ft bushhog. The whole package ways around 6,250 lbs. My tow vehicle is a 2004 Dodge 1-ton diesel. I'd like to get a reasonably priced 20' + flatbed gooseneck w/ dovetail ramps. Some advice needed - If I go with the 7k axles, what would be the most appropriate lenght - 20, 22, 24? I'll haul hay with the trailer, so the extra length is a plus, but not good if it allows me to overload the trailer.
Also - does anyone have any experience with one drop leg jack versus 2?
I'll have this trailer forever, but want to keep the price under 5k - any advice on brands?
Anyone have feedback on Kaufman trailers?

/ Need advise on Gooseneck Utility Trailer #3  
How long is your tractor with the bush-hog & fel?

I usually would get the longest trailer I could afford just because they are never long enough.

Trailer weight + tractor= approx 4500# extra capacity depending on the particular trailer??

I have a 36' aluminum horse trailer with a single leg & find it sufficient

/ Need advise on Gooseneck Utility Trailer #4  
How long is your tractor with the bush-hog & fel?

I usually would get the longest trailer I could afford just because they are never long enough.

Trailer weight + tractor= approx 4500# extra capacity depending on the particular trailer??

I have a 36' aluminum horse trailer with a single leg & find it sufficient

My tractor, fel, bushog combination is approximately 19 ft. long. I'm leaning towards getting as much length as I can purchase too - the extra length will be nice when I pick up hay.
On the jack issue, upgrading to two jacks is a 250.00 option - not sure what purpose it would serve - it would make dropping the trailer unloaded slower, but perhaps it would allow me to load the trailer without having it hitched to my truck safely?

My tractor, fel, bushog combination is approximately 19 ft. long. I'm leaning towards getting as much length as I can purchase too - the extra length will be nice when I pick up hay.
On the jack issue, upgrading to two jacks is a 250.00 option - not sure what purpose it would serve - it would make dropping the trailer unloaded slower, but perhaps it would allow me to load the trailer without having it hitched to my truck safely?

/ Need advise on Gooseneck Utility Trailer #7  
I've got a 25'+5' Ridgeline gooseneck with a pair of 7000 lb axles. I run load range E tires that will allow a shade over 12,000 GVW (on the trailer only) Extra legnth is nice. Especially when you're jockeying a tractor forward and rearward to get the weight "just right" over the trailer axles. The 5' dovetail raises to level for hay hauling. Makes for a nice rig. Down side to a longer trailer? YEP! Try turning it around in tight quarters. (I pull it with a Dodge 2500 4WD, 4-door, long bed. Truck and trailer together are a tick over 55'.)

Since owning my first gooseneck, I wouldn't consider a bumper pull trailer ever again.

/ Need advise on Gooseneck Utility Trailer #8  
I've got a 25'+5' Ridgeline gooseneck with a pair of 7000 lb axles. I run load range E tires that will allow a shade over 12,000 GVW (on the trailer only) Extra legnth is nice. Especially when you're jockeying a tractor forward and rearward to get the weight "just right" over the trailer axles. The 5' dovetail raises to level for hay hauling. Makes for a nice rig. Down side to a longer trailer? YEP! Try turning it around in tight quarters. (I pull it with a Dodge 2500 4WD, 4-door, long bed. Truck and trailer together are a tick over 55'.)

Since owning my first gooseneck, I wouldn't consider a bumper pull trailer ever again.

/ Need advise on Gooseneck Utility Trailer #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Down side to a longer trailer? YEP! Try turning it around in tight quarters. )</font>

That is some good advise. My gooseneck was long enough that it was very difficult to get in and out of driveways. Before you decide on length try maneuvering one around with your truck.
Make sure you buy one with a good robust paint job ie: powdercoat, primer then paint, either cleaner steel by sand blasting or acid wash. I'm not sure what neck of the woods you are from but in the midwest a trailer with a cheapo paint job will be covered with rust in just a few years,

/ Need advise on Gooseneck Utility Trailer #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Down side to a longer trailer? YEP! Try turning it around in tight quarters. )</font>

That is some good advise. My gooseneck was long enough that it was very difficult to get in and out of driveways. Before you decide on length try maneuvering one around with your truck.
Make sure you buy one with a good robust paint job ie: powdercoat, primer then paint, either cleaner steel by sand blasting or acid wash. I'm not sure what neck of the woods you are from but in the midwest a trailer with a cheapo paint job will be covered with rust in just a few years,