Durable Tractor Paint

/ Durable Tractor Paint #1  

ADin

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD2305, 1948 B.F. Avery Model V
For repainting after welding or re-painting attachments to match tractor color, etc.. is there a type of paint, painting process/technique, or additional guidance on how to achieve the most durable finish?

Anybody like to share what they have found to work the best or point me toward old archives I can't seem to find with the search?

/ Durable Tractor Paint
For repainting after welding or re-painting attachments to match tractor color, etc.. is there a type of paint, painting process/technique, or additional guidance on how to achieve the most durable finish?

Anybody like to share what they have found to work the best or point me toward old archives I can't seem to find with the search?

/ Durable Tractor Paint #3  
I've had excellent results with the brush-on oil based Rust Oleum primer. That, combined with the Rust Oleum black gloss oil-based top coat holds up incredibly well. I painted this combo on a toothbar that I fabricated a few months back and have been pleased with the results.

/ Durable Tractor Paint #4  
I've had excellent results with the brush-on oil based Rust Oleum primer. That, combined with the Rust Oleum black gloss oil-based top coat holds up incredibly well. I painted this combo on a toothbar that I fabricated a few months back and have been pleased with the results.

/ Durable Tractor Paint #5  
I've been using BPS paints from tsc, as you can match many manufacturers paints. I use hardner which modifies cure time, increases gloss/finish, and makes the paint more durable to chipping, and sun fading.

BPS paint falls into the economy line of paints.. like 26$ per gallon. Some guys use stuff int he 300$ a gallon.

I can see that for a parade tractor.. but for something digging in the dirt.. no matter what you7 put on it.. the paints gonna wear fast..so i liek the cheaper stuff.

I've painted up a couple parade tractors that look great using that paint too..

Soundguy

/ Durable Tractor Paint #6  
I've been using BPS paints from tsc, as you can match many manufacturers paints. I use hardner which modifies cure time, increases gloss/finish, and makes the paint more durable to chipping, and sun fading.

BPS paint falls into the economy line of paints.. like 26$ per gallon. Some guys use stuff int he 300$ a gallon.

I can see that for a parade tractor.. but for something digging in the dirt.. no matter what you7 put on it.. the paints gonna wear fast..so i liek the cheaper stuff.

I've painted up a couple parade tractors that look great using that paint too..

Soundguy

/ Durable Tractor Paint #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've had excellent results with the brush-on oil based Rust Oleum primer. That, combined with the Rust Oleum black gloss oil-based top coat holds up incredibly well. I painted this combo on a toothbar that I fabricated a few months back and have been pleased with the results. )</font>

Same here. In fact I recommend this same procedure with Rust-Oleum in all the plans I distribute. One coat of primer then 2 coats of brushed on protective enamel will give a strong durable finish even for 3pt implements.

/ Durable Tractor Paint #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've had excellent results with the brush-on oil based Rust Oleum primer. That, combined with the Rust Oleum black gloss oil-based top coat holds up incredibly well. I painted this combo on a toothbar that I fabricated a few months back and have been pleased with the results. )</font>

Same here. In fact I recommend this same procedure with Rust-Oleum in all the plans I distribute. One coat of primer then 2 coats of brushed on protective enamel will give a strong durable finish even for 3pt implements.

/ Durable Tractor Paint #9  
Hi ADin,

Good surface preparation and priming are the 2 biggest things to keep new paint on a surface...

I'm in Soundguy's camp on this one though--work eventually removes all of it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Durable Tractor Paint #10  
Hi ADin,

Good surface preparation and priming are the 2 biggest things to keep new paint on a surface...

I'm in Soundguy's camp on this one though--work eventually removes all of it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif