wheel weight limits?

/ wheel weight limits? #1  

daTeacha

Veteran Member
I went to the junk yard yesterday and picked up some scrap steel discs for about a quarter a pound with the objective of making some wheel weights. The factory cast iron weights sell for $88 per hundred pound weight and are set up for two per rear wheel with Ag tires.

When I checked out of the junk yard, I had 560 pounds of steel in the truck. I already have a 900 lb. rear weight on the 3 point hitch of my DX29. I'm wondering if the factory limit of 200 lb per wheel is critical or just a related to the fact that they hold them on with 5/8 carriage bolts? Can I hang a couple hundred pounds on each wheel plus the 900 on the hitch? I don't see where it should be a problem, but I'm wondering what you guys think.

I'm wanting to add the wheel weights since I have lifted a rear wheel now and then working with the loader and quartering uphill or down.

/ wheel weight limits?
I went to the junk yard yesterday and picked up some scrap steel discs for about a quarter a pound with the objective of making some wheel weights. The factory cast iron weights sell for $88 per hundred pound weight and are set up for two per rear wheel with Ag tires.

When I checked out of the junk yard, I had 560 pounds of steel in the truck. I already have a 900 lb. rear weight on the 3 point hitch of my DX29. I'm wondering if the factory limit of 200 lb per wheel is critical or just a related to the fact that they hold them on with 5/8 carriage bolts? Can I hang a couple hundred pounds on each wheel plus the 900 on the hitch? I don't see where it should be a problem, but I'm wondering what you guys think.

I'm wanting to add the wheel weights since I have lifted a rear wheel now and then working with the loader and quartering uphill or down.

/ wheel weight limits? #3  
There is place where you start to get a diminishing return by adding more weight. When that point is achieved, from then on the tractor will experience increased wear and a greater thirst for fuel. I always say to add weight but don’t go far enough to make the tractor sluggish and non-responsive.

/ wheel weight limits? #4  
There is place where you start to get a diminishing return by adding more weight. When that point is achieved, from then on the tractor will experience increased wear and a greater thirst for fuel. I always say to add weight but don’t go far enough to make the tractor sluggish and non-responsive.

/ wheel weight limits? #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( There is place where you start to get a diminishing return by adding more weight. When that point is achieved, from then on the tractor will experience increased wear and a greater thirst for fuel. I always say to add weight but don’t go far enough to make the tractor sluggish and non-responsive. )</font>

At some point.....GET A BIGGER TRACTOR!

/ wheel weight limits? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( There is place where you start to get a diminishing return by adding more weight. When that point is achieved, from then on the tractor will experience increased wear and a greater thirst for fuel. I always say to add weight but don’t go far enough to make the tractor sluggish and non-responsive. )</font>

At some point.....GET A BIGGER TRACTOR!

/ wheel weight limits? #7  
Here is a picture of a tractor with a few wheel weights on. I think that it is almost at it's limit. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 903203-Heavy JD.JPG
    903203-Heavy JD.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 236
   / wheel weight limits? #8  
Here is a picture of a tractor with a few wheel weights on. I think that it is almost at it's limit. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ wheel weight limits? #9  
Great Picture! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ wheel weight limits? #10  
Great Picture! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif