Mr Funnel getting sticky like its melting

/ Mr Funnel getting sticky like its melting #1  

stevenf

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M9000
Hi Folks I'm sure the Mr. Funnel folks probably won't appreciate this post especially since they are a sponsor but I bought my Mr Funnel, Funnel its the high flow version when I bought my tractor November of 2004 and have only used it for filling my machine up with Diesel, no gas or any other petroleum product has come anywhere near it and every time I use it, it gets stickier and stickier to the point that while I'm holding it I leave finger prints in it. Has anyone else experienced this or am I unique, it has a lifetime guarantee but I'm getting to the point that I'm not sure I should use it at all for fear its melting down and contaminating my $40,000 investments fuel tank. I welcome the Mr. Funnel folks to respond to this post so don't be shy give me your views is it defective or? If the Mr. Funnel folks want to PM me its OK I won't be offended unless you really have something nasty to say. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Steve

/ Mr Funnel getting sticky like its melting
Hi Folks I'm sure the Mr. Funnel folks probably won't appreciate this post especially since they are a sponsor but I bought my Mr Funnel, Funnel its the high flow version when I bought my tractor November of 2004 and have only used it for filling my machine up with Diesel, no gas or any other petroleum product has come anywhere near it and every time I use it, it gets stickier and stickier to the point that while I'm holding it I leave finger prints in it. Has anyone else experienced this or am I unique, it has a lifetime guarantee but I'm getting to the point that I'm not sure I should use it at all for fear its melting down and contaminating my $40,000 investments fuel tank. I welcome the Mr. Funnel folks to respond to this post so don't be shy give me your views is it defective or? If the Mr. Funnel folks want to PM me its OK I won't be offended unless you really have something nasty to say. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Steve

/ Mr Funnel getting sticky like its melting #3  
I am not sure what material Mr Funnels are made of but I am assuming that it is made from some type of plastic. I checked out the Mr Funnel add and it sounds impressive but a little expensive. I have had some plastic products get soft when they came into contact with petroleum products but never any plastic that was made for that purpose. I have a few plastic funnels that are over 30 years old and are still as good as when new. I usually clean them with gas or diesel fuel when they get dirty. Your thread should get some response from the Mr Funnel people soon. Please let us know how things turn out. If they take good care of you and give a good reason for the product failure maybe I will consider ordering one.
Farwell

/ Mr Funnel getting sticky like its melting #4  
I am not sure what material Mr Funnels are made of but I am assuming that it is made from some type of plastic. I checked out the Mr Funnel add and it sounds impressive but a little expensive. I have had some plastic products get soft when they came into contact with petroleum products but never any plastic that was made for that purpose. I have a few plastic funnels that are over 30 years old and are still as good as when new. I usually clean them with gas or diesel fuel when they get dirty. Your thread should get some response from the Mr Funnel people soon. Please let us know how things turn out. If they take good care of you and give a good reason for the product failure maybe I will consider ordering one.
Farwell

Farwell, I'm with you I've got all sorts of plastic funnels and matter of fact gas, diesel and kerosene containers made out of plastic that I've used for many years and I've never seen this happen, it sounds crazy but I just wouldn't believe a funnel made specifically for removing water and other impurities from fuel could have this issue but sure as I'm typing this the funnel is soft and almost gooey all over and your right it wasn't cheap. They sell a metal one but its more expensive yet so I opted for the high volume plastic one, it still strains the fuel fine but the fact that every time I touch it its softer and stickier then before concerns me and just can't be right. I'll keep ya'll posted as to what the Mr. Funnel people say, I feel certain that their company is like most today that build their product from materials that they buy from other companies and they must have gotten a bad batch but as many discussions that I've seen about their use as being a good thing I've never seen anybody complain about it getting soft and sticky so maybe mine is unique after all.
Steve

Farwell, I'm with you I've got all sorts of plastic funnels and matter of fact gas, diesel and kerosene containers made out of plastic that I've used for many years and I've never seen this happen, it sounds crazy but I just wouldn't believe a funnel made specifically for removing water and other impurities from fuel could have this issue but sure as I'm typing this the funnel is soft and almost gooey all over and your right it wasn't cheap. They sell a metal one but its more expensive yet so I opted for the high volume plastic one, it still strains the fuel fine but the fact that every time I touch it its softer and stickier then before concerns me and just can't be right. I'll keep ya'll posted as to what the Mr. Funnel people say, I feel certain that their company is like most today that build their product from materials that they buy from other companies and they must have gotten a bad batch but as many discussions that I've seen about their use as being a good thing I've never seen anybody complain about it getting soft and sticky so maybe mine is unique after all.
Steve

/ Mr Funnel getting sticky like its melting #7  
I've never heard of Mr. Funnel, but I'd be seriously interested in getting something to prefilter my fuel as it goes into the tractor. My Kubota had a screen on the filler neck, but the DX has nothing.

How does Mr. Funnel remove water from fuel? Is there some kind of mechanical separator or is it hygroscopic?

/ Mr Funnel getting sticky like its melting #8  
I've never heard of Mr. Funnel, but I'd be seriously interested in getting something to prefilter my fuel as it goes into the tractor. My Kubota had a screen on the filler neck, but the DX has nothing.

How does Mr. Funnel remove water from fuel? Is there some kind of mechanical separator or is it hygroscopic?

/ Mr Funnel getting sticky like its melting #9  
<font color="blue"> If the Mr. Funnel folks want to PM me its OK I won't be offended unless you really have something nasty to say. </font> /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Why not click on the Contact US link on their site and use the toll free number they have to call after 8:00 am this morning? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Mr Funnel getting sticky like its melting #10  
<font color="blue"> If the Mr. Funnel folks want to PM me its OK I won't be offended unless you really have something nasty to say. </font> /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Why not click on the Contact US link on their site and use the toll free number they have to call after 8:00 am this morning? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif