Finishing mower vs rotary cutter

/ Finishing mower vs rotary cutter #1  

blackmax

I have a 1030 Massey with a 60" Tebben rotary cutter. We have a campground and I use the tractor to cut the grass areas and the the campsites. Often I run over small stumps and debris like branches etc. I'm considering getting a finishing mower for the open grassy areas because I think that it would make those areas look better when mowed. Does a finishing mowing cut that much nicer than a rotary and how much abuse can you put a finisher through ie: hitting small stumps, branches etc. The rotary cutter leaves behind swaths when the grass is long, will the finisher do any better, mulch them up? thanks.

/ Finishing mower vs rotary cutter
I have a 1030 Massey with a 60" Tebben rotary cutter. We have a campground and I use the tractor to cut the grass areas and the the campsites. Often I run over small stumps and debris like branches etc. I'm considering getting a finishing mower for the open grassy areas because I think that it would make those areas look better when mowed. Does a finishing mowing cut that much nicer than a rotary and how much abuse can you put a finisher through ie: hitting small stumps, branches etc. The rotary cutter leaves behind swaths when the grass is long, will the finisher do any better, mulch them up? thanks.

/ Finishing mower vs rotary cutter #3  
Finishing mowers probably wouldn't handle the abuse of hitting stumps and rocks. If you want to finish cut, you'll really want to clean up the area first. It would have to be "lawn like" to use a finishing mower.
Since finishing mowers are considerably more expensive then rotary cutters....I think you may want to stick with the cutter.

/ Finishing mower vs rotary cutter #4  
Finishing mowers probably wouldn't handle the abuse of hitting stumps and rocks. If you want to finish cut, you'll really want to clean up the area first. It would have to be "lawn like" to use a finishing mower.
Since finishing mowers are considerably more expensive then rotary cutters....I think you may want to stick with the cutter.

/ Finishing mower vs rotary cutter #5  
I have to agree with Roy.

I hit a small stump the other day with my RFM and bend two blades badly.

I do have both rear finishing mower and a rotary cutter and prefer the rotary cutter for my pasture. My lawn gets the rear finishing mower, tho.

Too bad there isn't a rotary finish mower. That would be perfect.

dwight

/ Finishing mower vs rotary cutter #6  
I have to agree with Roy.

I hit a small stump the other day with my RFM and bend two blades badly.

I do have both rear finishing mower and a rotary cutter and prefer the rotary cutter for my pasture. My lawn gets the rear finishing mower, tho.

Too bad there isn't a rotary finish mower. That would be perfect.

dwight

/ Finishing mower vs rotary cutter #7  
A good finish mower gives a manicured lawn look. A well maintained and setup rotary cutter with a sharop blades makes a halfway decent 'long' lawn look.

Yes the finish mower is better... but the first stump you hit with it will probbaly cost you a blade, if you are lucky.. or a spindle if you are not lucky. The branches will probably eat blades as well... both will work over the belts.

That said.. 'stumps' are not great for rotary cutters either... be carefull.

Soundguy

/ Finishing mower vs rotary cutter #8  
A good finish mower gives a manicured lawn look. A well maintained and setup rotary cutter with a sharop blades makes a halfway decent 'long' lawn look.

Yes the finish mower is better... but the first stump you hit with it will probbaly cost you a blade, if you are lucky.. or a spindle if you are not lucky. The branches will probably eat blades as well... both will work over the belts.

That said.. 'stumps' are not great for rotary cutters either... be carefull.

Soundguy

/ Finishing mower vs rotary cutter #9  
A finish mower just isn't made to take the kind of abuse that a rotary cutter is. They cut grass only, not rocks or stumps.

/ Finishing mower vs rotary cutter #10  
A finish mower just isn't made to take the kind of abuse that a rotary cutter is. They cut grass only, not rocks or stumps.