Leveling a yard

/ Leveling a yard #1  

JHohler

Tractor
Kubota B7610
I have about 4 acres of established yard (Bermuda Grass). Over time it has become uneven, (some holes, dips, etc. Does anybody have any recommendations on how to level it without totally destroying the current yard?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

/ Leveling a yard #2  
If the holes (dips) are not too deep, I've had OK luck spreading sandy/loam on top of the existing grass and let it grow back through the new soil. If you have a good solid sod then you could cut out sections fill in and relay the sod.

/ Leveling a yard #3  
Adding sandy loam a little at a time will help in the smaller areas. Add some sandy loam, wait until the existing grass grows through, add some more and keep this up until you get your lawn level. If you need a lot of leveling in some areas add enough sandy loam to get your level and then re seed this area like you would a new lawn. Works for me. I have a water filled roller that I pull behind my riding lawn mower that I use to knock down lumpy areas.
Farwell

/ Leveling a yard #4  
While having a new leech field put set me back I've had a lot of luck filling the holes with compost a layer at a time and then letting the grass grow through/over. Besides it can't hurt my rock hard clay.

/ Leveling a yard #5  
Another method to consider is use a sod cutter and open a seam where the dips/ holes are. Fill them up and replace to sod. Tamp lightly and water.