pros and cons to running a 4WD tractor in 2WD

/ pros and cons to running a 4WD tractor in 2WD #1  

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
What are the pros and cons to running a 4WD tractor in 2WD? I know that NH makes a sensitrack that does it automatically. So obviously it is okay. Does running in 2WD do damage to a tractor if there is no wheel slippage? Is fuel consumption increased in 2WD versus 4WD (assuming no wheel spin)?

Bob

/ pros and cons to running a 4WD tractor in 2WD #2  
Should be no problem <font color="blue"> to running a 4WD tractor in 2WD </font>
Some feel running in 4WD while on hard surface (like concrete or asphalt) causes wear and tear on the front wheel assist.
Fuel consumption might be slightly increased in 4WD vs 2WD (more work).

/ pros and cons to running a 4WD tractor in 2WD #3  
"Some feel running in 4WD while on hard surface (like concrete or asphalt) causes wear and tear on the front wheel assist. "

It's not an opinion...running in 4WD on paved sufaces do lead to tire and drive train wear. The Deere CUT manuals reccomend not operating the machine in MFWD on paved surfaces. There should be not need to, with one exception: if one is towing a load, operating in 4WD adds to engine braking which can be important.

Otherwise, most of the CUT four wheel drive system are an assist to traction when necessary.

Personally, I only use the 4WD when I need it, not as a matter of normal operation.

/ pros and cons to running a 4WD tractor in 2WD #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Personally, I only use the 4WD when I need it, not as a matter of normal operation.
)</font>

EXACTLY !!! why would you want to run in 4wd when it is not needed? The tractor will let you know when it needs 4wd.

/ pros and cons to running a 4WD tractor in 2WD #5  
For many operations like soil tillage, fuel consumption is significantly increased when operating in 2wd. This is because a lot of power is wasted pushing a "dead" axle thru the ground. If you ever want to check this out, notice how much more throttle it takes to pull a disk when you are in 2wd than it does in when in 4wd. Most folks here realize that fwd lets a smaller tractor do the work of a larger 2wd. Smaller tractor, same work=less fuel. If you have fwd the only time you should not use it is on the road. As fuel costs have risen, the popularity of 2wd has decreased, especially for ag operations.

/ pros and cons to running a 4WD tractor in 2WD #6  
Another way to look at it:

On my plow truck, more than a few times driving out of a snow packed driveway onto bare asphalt in 4WD mode (with a turn into traffic) I have snapped a u-joint RIGHT THERE! (like there is no question as to why and what was the cause)

Also you will note that in turns in 4WD there is always one front wheel that slips as the outer wheel has a longer distance to travel.
That in itself indicates the additional stresses on the front diff as well as wear due to slippage of that tire.
The whole effect is minimised when on an agragate or soil surface due to easy slippage.
But not on asphalt! (or concrete)

/ pros and cons to running a 4WD tractor in 2WD #7  
Doc,

There were a few threads awhile ago about some kubota's not having the correct tire lead and were either neutral or lagging. What's lead and lag? Lead is where the front tires are rotating more than the rear and lag is where they are rotating slower. Ideal situation is with Lead, where in 4wd the front tires rotate 3-5% faster than the rear tires. This gives you the optimum traction and handling/steering. Most tractors are set up from the factory correctly with this amount of lead. This is no problem at all when the tractor is operated on soft natural surfaces. The ground gives way slightly and no problems occur. Even after thousands of hours of operation.

Now imagine this same situation with the tractor operated on a hard man made surface like asphalt. The slip is either with the tire surface or some thing inside the tractor. Best case the front tires wear fast, worse case, you have to spend lots of money.

/ pros and cons to running a 4WD tractor in 2WD #8  
EXACTLY !!! why would you want to run in 4wd when it is not needed? The tractor will let you know when it needs 4wd.

One morning I took took my 3010 with R4's out to cut and started down one of my back hills. I forgot that I had taken it out of 4WD to run down the road the day before. Well the grass was wet and swoosh,,, I went for a very suprisingly quick ride as I slid down that hill. Needless to say I reach a new pucker level that I had never experienced before /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. I put it into 4WD went back up the hill and came down without spinning a tire. It stayed in 4WD after that.

/ pros and cons to running a 4WD tractor in 2WD #9  
The lawn gets torn up a lot more when you make sharp turns in 4wd than it does in 2wd. I only use 4wd when it's needed.

Ken

/ pros and cons to running a 4WD tractor in 2WD #10  
Running a 4wd tractor in 2wd is like buying a Ferrari to drive in a parking lot....Ha ha, well, almost.

Better traction all the time in 4wd-
Better loader use in 4wd-
Better braking in 4wd-
Better steering response in 4wd-
Better fuel consumption in 4wd-
Better over all stability and mauverablility in 4wd-
Safer in 4wd for the above mentioned-
Also, 4wd is a good reason to stay off pavement and on your dirt.
Your tractor has it, use it. If you're worried about wearing it out from use, then worry about the rest of what you use becasue it will wear out too.
Let's be realistic.
Improper use of ANYTHING can result to damage....even proper use sometimes. Just my 2¢ from what I've learned using my 4wd.