If you were to buy a "second" tractor...

/ If you were to buy a "second" tractor... #1  

Laminarman

Gold Member
Tractor
TC40DA
If you were to buy a \"second\" tractor...

This is somewhat related to my other post ("Pulling Tractors"). If any of you were to buy an old, second hand, but serviceable tractor for tillage, general work, hauling, mowing...etc, what would you choose (assuming light duty, less than 75 acres of land). I don't plan on buying, but am curious. Around here (upstate NY) Ford 9N's and 8N's (?) are very popular on the used market, as are old blue, boxy Ford's of some type dating from the 1970s (??). I think the old red tractors look neat. It's appealing to dream of having the money to just "buy one on a whim" as a second toy. Would you folks insist on diesel or could you live with a gas tractor??

/ If you were to buy a "second" tractor... #2  
Re: If you were to buy a \"second\" tractor...

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If any of you were to buy an old, second hand, but serviceable tractor for tillage, general work, hauling, mowing...etc, what would you choose (assuming light duty, less than 75 acres of land).)</font>

My current tractor would become my second hand tractor and I would buy a larger 100hp 4wd model with cab and hydro.

/ If you were to buy a "second" tractor... #3  

I have them. My Kubota B8200 is primary. It has loader, rotary mower ect. My Farmall-A is my "toy". I use it in parades, and move trailers around the property. I have a sickle bar mower I am sssllloooowwlllly rebuilding.

Red. Farmall Red /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ If you were to buy a "second" tractor... #4  

My next tractor would be larger. At least 70HP and hopefully 90hp. I would take the loader off my 50hp tractor and put on it. Then the 50hp would be used for small shredding, fencerow spraying, and such. The larger tractor would go to the hay field. My 4320 JD would still be for large tillage projects.

/ If you were to buy a "second" tractor... #5  

I buy one that runs! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ If you were to buy a "second" tractor... #6  
I have a 21-hp Kubota B7510HST with LA302 FEL.
It's too small for tillage so I'm looking for a 1960s pre-owned utility tractor in the 40-50 hp range. Candidates include MF 135/150/165, Ford 900, 3000, 4000 series, John Deere 2000 series.
Hope to latch onto something real soon.

/ If you were to buy a "second" tractor... #7  
can my first tractor count? I have a 1988 Ford 2910 that I bought just because I wanted one. My house is in town and I can just barely turn the tractor around in the yard. I keep it at a friends house (27 acres) and use it to plow,plant,bush hog,spray,post hole dig and box blade at several other friends properties. In fact most of the people that thought I was crazy for buying a tractor have asked to have some kind of work done. edited to add tractors dont run on gas.

/ If you were to buy a "second" tractor... #8  
My primary tractor is a Kubota L4330 HSTC. My secondary tractor is an Antique Allis Chalmers D14. It is about the same size but it goes to parades, tractor pulls, tractor shows, etc...

Attachments

• scan0034 (Small).jpg
    scan0034 (Small).jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 136
   / If you were to buy a "second" tractor...
"edited to add tractors dont run on gas"

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure there were gas tractors at one time....

/ If you were to buy a "second" tractor... #10  
My primary tractors are a Kubota L3430HSTC and a Kubota F2260 front mower. My secondary tractors by order of hours used per year are; 1957 Allis Chalmers D14 (35 HP), 1974 Allis Chalmers 620 (20 HP), 1954 Allis Chalmers WD45 (45 HP) and 1937 Allis Chalmers WC (30 HP).

The AC D14,15 or 17 are great "second" tractors. 35 to 55 HP with a "utility-like" build, they are easy to operate and very reliable. Most are wide front and easily converted to 3 pt hitch and run about $2500 to $5000 in price. Parts and service are readily available through AGCO dealers.

OrangeGuy