Releasing 3 point hitch ?

/ Releasing 3 point hitch ? #1  

bcarwell

Gold Member
Tractor
Kabota 7500DT
I'm a rookie. Just bought a Kubota 7500 with a brush hog attached to the 3 point hitch.
Can somebody please tell me what the trick is to disconnecting the hitch from the brush hog ?
After releasing the quick release pins on the two outsidelinks, I can't seem to get the links to move outwards beyond the pins on the hog. The hitch was moved so the hog is resting on the ground. I've tried lifting the hitch a little and that seemed to help remove tension on the links so they could move a little. But I still needed to go about 1/2 inch outwards for the links to be completely free from the hog's pins. And for the life of me, the links won't budge any farther outward.
What is the trick ? It's a pain to keep draggin' that hog behind me... Thanks for any help for this Newb.

Bob

/ Releasing 3 point hitch ? #2  
Loosen the turnbuckles beside the lower arms to let the arms move more freely. It will help to lower one arm a little and pull it off first, then pull the second arm off while the first one slides below its pin. That way you only need to gain the length of one pin at a time.

I hear that a really good help is to set the stump jumper of the brush hog on an old tire before you unhook. That way you can rotate the implement without using a huge prybar and hurting yourself. I have not tried it, but only because I don't take the time to go get the tire before I unhook.

One thing's for sure: it went on, so it will come off.

This topic comes up fairly often, but you'll get it with just a little practice. Soon you'll change it out in just minutes without any worries or choice words.

Good luck!

- Just Gary

/ Releasing 3 point hitch ? #3  
My B7100 was a pain to hook/unhook from the hog, too. My bush hog was just a little too wide for the reach of the lift arms and I had to horse the thing around every time I needed to put it on or off. I used a large pry bar against the lift arm and the A frame of the hog. You might want to reverse the lift pins on the hog so you move the lift arms inward to unhook. I did that on my carry-all.

/ Releasing 3 point hitch ? #4  
Bcarwell,

There are usually pins that keep the arms from swaying, I am assUming that you have taken those out.

Next, you have to horse it off. To make the job easier, I set the hog down on a 2x4 or 4x4 with a piece of steel on top of it. That way the hog deck is sitting on steel and will be able to be moved easer. Try and do this in it's final resting spot (under a roof). Then you can use a long 2x4 or 4x4 to pry the arms off. I went and bought a 36" pry bar and a 60" chisel ended rod and use them to help with both on and off.

Unlike the PTO connector with it's secret release button or pull back collar (there's two hints for future use!), getting stuff on/off the 3pt just takes muscle and a mule head.

Enjoy

jb

/ Releasing 3 point hitch ?
Great guys ! Thanks. I'll give it a shot today. At least its good to know I wasn't missing something obvious like a button or lever or something.

I have seen advertised some kind of "quick release" things you can buy for 3 point hitches. Didn't seem very expensive and if they <work>, sure seems like they'd be worth it to avoid the aggravation and horsing described.

Does anybody know if they work, are worth it, and would make this easier on a Kubota 7500 ?

Thanks again for the advice...

bob

/ Releasing 3 point hitch ? #6  
Yes the quick hitches work but need to be set up for each implement. Also if it is available as an option on your tractor telescopic draft links make it easier to install and remove implements. They move in and out as your draft links move outward to remove the implement.

/ Releasing 3 point hitch ? #7  
Once you do it a couple of time, it really isn't too bad. Things move somewhat to make it easier, like the A frame on the bush hog. If your's has been on there a while it could be rusted in place, too. After you horse it off, give everything a light coat of engine oil -- the pins, the inside of the ball ends, the outside of the ball ends, the lift arms where they connect to the tractor, etc. Make sure you have all tension off the lift arms, either up or down too. You want it so the hog just sets on the ground and the arms aren't supporting it, nor is it supporting the arms. It really isn't too bad.

Telescoping link arms are very handy, but you still need to have the height right. With your 'bota, there is a turnbuckle like link on the right side lift arm. This will allow you to move the right arm up or down in relation to the left one and often lets you take some tension off things. Ditto the top link. It should be loose in the connection between the hog and the tractor before you try to take it off.

/ Releasing 3 point hitch ? #8  
bcarwell said:
Great guys ! Thanks. I'll give it a shot today. At least its good to know I wasn't missing something obvious like a button or lever or something.

I have seen advertised some kind of "quick release" things you can buy for 3 point hitches. Didn't seem very expensive and if they <work>, sure seems like they'd be worth it to avoid the aggravation and horsing described.

Does anybody know if they work, are worth it, and would make this easier on a Kubota 7500 ?

Thanks again for the advice...

bob

Due to slight differences in many manufacturers representation of 3pt hitch specs.. sometimes the quik hitches work you harder than just the 3pt.

Just practice, practice, practice.

When i got my first tractor.. I bet it took me 15 minutes to hitch up a mower... that job takes me less than a minute now...

Even hitching big implements like my 10' and 15' mowers are done in a couple minutes or less.... It just takes time for you to know exactly whe to back up.. and where your hitch arms need to be, and then what adjustments the tilt and toplink needs to be.

Don't worry.. you will get the hang of it soon enough.

Untill you do.. keep a 2x4 hand out where you store your implements. an 8' spruce makes a good pry bar to nudge 500# implements.. and is real easy ont he paint..

Soundguy

/ Releasing 3 point hitch ? #9  
bcarwell said:
I'm a rookie. Just bought a Kubota 7500 with a brush hog attached to the 3 point hitch.
Can somebody please tell me what the trick is to disconnecting the hitch from the brush hog ?
After releasing the quick release pins on the two outsidelinks, I can't seem to get the links to move outwards beyond the pins on the hog. The hitch was moved so the hog is resting on the ground. I've tried lifting the hitch a little and that seemed to help remove tension on the links so they could move a little. But I still needed to go about 1/2 inch outwards for the links to be completely free from the hog's pins. And for the life of me, the links won't budge any farther outward.
What is the trick ? It's a pain to keep draggin' that hog behind me... Thanks for any help for this Newb.

Bob

Remove the top link from the mower, With your foot, push the impliment all the way to one side, pull off the lift arm on the side you pushed the impliment away from. Set the arm on top of the pin you just took it off of, go to the other side and push the impliment back about 3 inches, remove the other lift arm and your done. Setting the impliment on something it can easily slide on is a big help.

As far as the quick hitches go. Catagory 3 and catagory 2 impliments are standard, meaning any properly built quick hitch will match up with an impliment. There are so many companies making Catagory 1 impliments, and no one uses a standard (compared to other companies), it's kind of a crap shoot whether you will get your impliment to work with the quick hitch. It's the same as hydraulic connectors of the past. Everyone had their own style, now day's the standard is pioneer, pretty much everyone uses pioneer fittings now.

/ Releasing 3 point hitch ? #10  
From what the pics show, Pat's quick hitch advertised here is adjustable, but only fits the lower links, unlike something like a JD system. You might want to check that one out.