What am I not getting... 3 pt and trailer

/ What am I not getting... 3 pt and trailer #1  

SmoothSippin

Tractor
Deere 2305 Deere 757
Ok, so I have a JD2305. I also have a small trailer that I would like to drag behind it. Well, seems the 3 pt is in the way of hooking it up (to the tractor hitch behind the lower arms). Am I missing something here, or do I need to remove the arms to hook up the wagon? Sorry for the ignorance, but I am a newbie to the 3 point world. For your amusement, I detached my box blade for the first time yesterday. I believe my neighbors (who live very far away) got a lesson in articulating foul language . Guess I will be getting an Quick hitch soon as well. One would think that, by now, someone would make moving the lower arms (I am sure they have a proper name) off the implement a TAD easier. Gee I cannot wait to hook up the PHD.

BTW, this site has been very helpful to me! Thanks all.

/ What am I not getting... 3 pt and trailer #2  
You should have a draw bar that inserts/or not right under the rear axle housing that has a hole it it for a trailer ball or clevis or trailer that doesn't need a ball.
You should not have to remove the lower 3pt arms to tow a trailer.

/ What am I not getting... 3 pt and trailer #3  
the easy way may be to get a drawbar to hook between the lower links.
Imagine a rectangular bar with holes in it for the trailer ball and pins that go into each lower link. Any tractor store can sell you one. If there is a Tractor Supply Store near you they have them and a little clip thingy to keep the bar from rotating so the ball always stays upright. This gives you the advantage of using the 3pth to raise and lower the tounge of the trailer.

/ What am I not getting... 3 pt and trailer #4  
SmoothSippin said:
seems the 3 pt is in the way of hooking it up (to the tractor hitch behind the lower arms). Am I missing something here

Did you raise the 3-point hitch all the way? That usually gets the lower arms high enough to be out of the way.

/ What am I not getting... 3 pt and trailer #5  
firemanpat2910 said:
the easy way may be to get a drawbar to hook between the lower links.

This is a working solution many of us have used countless times.

Since the poster indicates he's new to tractors, think we should warn him that if he uses this and places a load too far behind the trailer axle, the trailer can unexpectedly tip back raising the lift arms and drawbar in the process.

Like everything else, care and common sense is required for safe operation.

/ What am I not getting... 3 pt and trailer #6  
The info the others gave you is correct.. you can use a swinging drawbar if you have one.. or a 3pt drawbar and stays.. just be carefull .

Now.. as for the quick hitch. While you may end up getting one.. i urge you to do it 'manuall' just for a bit.. My guess is that with some practice.. you will be fine. When i got my first tractor, it took me 30 mins to hitch my mower to my tractor.. takes less than a minute now... practice.. practice practice.

Soon you will learn exactly where to back up, and where your lift arms need to be.. and also where to drop the mower when unhitching. Sometimes new lift arm balls are stiff with paint.. same witht he pins.. this will just atke a bit to wear and lossen up. If you need to nudge things.. keep a 8' 2x4 out where you store your implements. It's a great lever.. you can move a 500# implement with little effort that way.

Soundguy

SmoothSippin said:
Ok, so I have a JD2305. I also have a small trailer that I would like to drag behind it. Well, seems the 3 pt is in the way of hooking it up (to the tractor hitch behind the lower arms). Am I missing something here, or do I need to remove the arms to hook up the wagon? Sorry for the ignorance, but I am a newbie to the 3 point world. For your amusement, I detached my box blade for the first time yesterday. I believe my neighbors (who live very far away) got a lesson in articulating foul language . Guess I will be getting an Quick hitch soon as well. One would think that, by now, someone would make moving the lower arms (I am sure they have a proper name) off the implement a TAD easier. Gee I cannot wait to hook up the PHD.

BTW, this site has been very helpful to me! Thanks all.

/ What am I not getting... 3 pt and trailer #7  
SmoothSippin,...LOL, LOL...
I can already tell I'm going to enjoy reading your future posts, I'm sure.
For your amusement, I detached my box blade for the first time yesterday. I believe my neighbors (who live very far away) got a lesson in articulating foul language . Guess I will be getting an Quick hitch soon as well. One would think that, by now, someone would make moving the lower arms (I am sure they have a proper name) off the implement a TAD easier. Gee I cannot wait to hook up the PHD.
I'm also sure you will get the hang of it very quickly. Post some pictures of your episodes for us.

/ What am I not getting... 3 pt and trailer #8  
For your amusement, I detached my box blade for the first time yesterday. I believe my neighbors (who live very far away) got a lesson in articulating foul language . Guess I will be getting an Quick hitch soon as well. One would think that, by now, someone would make moving the lower arms (I am sure they have a proper name) off the implement a TAD easier. Gee I cannot wait to hook up the PHD.

SmoothSippin,

As a fellow newbie who is just barely starting to get a hold of the 3PH attach/unattach procedure, I found my problem at first was not setting the hitch at the appropriate level when unattaching. For some reason I thought dropping it all the way down was the way to go. I found that if I drop it to just where the front weight of the attachment is on the ground they come off a lot smoother.

/ What am I not getting... 3 pt and trailer
Thanks all,
As usual there is a ton of good advise on this forum. I am sure I will have a ton of "inquisitve idoit" questions for you all.

I will look for this bar at TSC. Thanks.

/ What am I not getting... 3 pt and trailer #10  
Do you have the drawbar under the rear differential? If so, trailering from this will be much safer than trailering from a drawbar on the lift arms. If you're only talking (relatively) light loads, it shouldn't be an issue.

BR