Parade Duty

/ Parade Duty #1  

NewToy

Veteran Member
Tractor
'05 Farmtrac 270DTC
Was wondering what do you folks think about pulling a float in a parade, gear or HST? Which one do you think would be better suited for parade duty and why?

Thanks,

John

/ Parade Duty #2  
My opinion would be an HST model for parade duty because you don't need to use a clutch. And most any newer tractor has some sort of cruise control whether electronic or mechanically controlled. Just set your RPM's and HST pedal controls the speed. No need to change the throttle position. Would also probably be better on a hill or road that has an incline and you needed to stop and go on it.

/ Parade Duty #3  
I have been in dozens of parades with my antique tractors and it is hard on the clutch of a gear drive. You are constantly slowing down and speeding up. If I had a choice I would use a HST for parade duty.

/ Parade Duty #4  
I would prefer the HST due to all the starting and stopping. 4WD might be good too if you are behind the horses ; ) .

/ Parade Duty #5  
Based upon the speeds of my 790 in various gears, I doubt if it matters. One would just have to reduce the throttle speeds to slow down or speed up.

This might be a problem with older tractors, but not for newr (1990 and newer) geared machines.

So...in answer to your question about hydro vs. gear...it wouldn't matter.

I wouldn't run a tractor in 4WD on paved roads...hard on the drive train and tires.

/ Parade Duty #6  
I've only been in one parade, but our float took first place. That makes me an expert, right?
I'm sure the HST would be more convenient, but I doubt there's significant wear on the clutch, compared to, for instance, a FEL. It gives you something to do so you don't have to wear yourself out waving.
I just put it in first at a comfortable throttle (not rattling too badly) and when I'd catch up, stop for a minute.
Put on a good show,
Wm
http://www.wimmark.com/coon_dog_day_2003.htm

Attachments

• tippinghat.JPG
    tippinghat.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 145
   / Parade Duty
I was thinking the gear model would be in there since you could regulate your speed with the throttle and putter along. Thought the HST would be a bit noisier running at higher RPM's. Guess you could flip a coin on this issue.

Thanks,

John

/ Parade Duty #8  
Either would work. But all of the parades that I've been in have the same problem: they don't just keep changing speeds, they also have dozens and dozens of stops and starts. The antique tractors that I've owned are all gear drive and I love them, but given the simple choice as to which type of tractor is best for parade duty with frequent starts and stops: no question HST!

/ Parade Duty #9  
I've run my gear in a parade without any trouble. I just put it in one gear and adjusted with the throttle. Easier on the folks on the trailer. Going to be pulling a swim team in our 4th parade next week.

/ Parade Duty #10  
I run a gear tractor, 'cause that is what I have it for. I have a '41 Farmall-A that has decent paint. I have towed floats for our Cub Scout Pack; 2 of 4 years we took first place in the Placerville Christmas Parade.

The biggest thing of note is the clutch. Most tractor clutches are not made to be slipped... You have to be careful not to jerk/lurch when you start to move.

I have both; the Farmall, and a mid 80's Kubota with HST. The Kubota is an awesome tractor. It aint got the character of the Farmall for parades though...