Clearing questions front a newbie.

/ Clearing questions front a newbie. #1  

Blakemorar

Tractor
MF 1547 Hydro
I am new to tractors all together, but have several jobs to do with some property I just bought. I thought about hiring someone to do the initial work and me concentrate on maintaining the property. I have 65 acres with about 17 acres in pasture, 35 acres wooded and the balance is wetland. I would like to cut some trails through the wooded area and clean up around some grandpa oaks and wild Magnolias. How aggressive can you get with clearing 30 year old grown up woods with a 45 hp Tractor, 6 foot heavy duty rotary cutter and a FEL? I have about a $30K investent and I might as well put this baby to work in order to save about $15K (quoted) worth of work. What type of limitations should I be aware of? I can use some guidance.

/ Clearing questions front a newbie. #2  
The 6' hd mower powered by the ample 45 hp tractor should pretty much chew up anything you can push over with the front axle... In keeping with taking care of your equipment.. around here.. it's a fair consensus that 2" green material and 1.5" woody material can be mowed pretty regularly, and the accidental 3" green, and 2" woody every now and then makes alot of noise.. and otherwise doesn't hurt much.. as long as you are not mowing a hedgerow of the stuff.

Small trees that are green and flexible should be pretty easy to push over using mechanical advantage, and your loader... Anything 4" and woody is chainsaw teritory, IMHO.

Feel free to post specific questions.

Soundguy

Blakemorar said:
I am new to tractors all together, but have several jobs to do with some property I just bought. I thought about hiring someone to do the initial work and me concentrate on maintaining the property. I have 65 acres with about 17 acres in pasture, 35 acres wooded and the balance is wetland. I would like to cut some trails through the wooded area and clean up around some grandpa oaks and wild Magnolias. How aggressive can you get with clearing 30 year old grown up woods with a 45 hp Tractor, 6 foot heavy duty rotary cutter and a FEL? I have about a $30K investent and I might as well put this baby to work in order to save about $15K (quoted) worth of work. What type of limitations should I be aware of? I can use some guidance.

/ Clearing questions front a newbie. #3  
You've got enough tractor and a strong mower which will get you going pretty good on much of it. As Soundguy said, I've pushed over many a smaller tree and pulled it out by the roots. Where you problems will begin is with the larger trees. A chain saw can drop the tree but with out a backhoe the stump removal is the problem. Even your size tractor is not going to be very efficent at removing larger stumps with a FEL. Keep in mind that dozers have trouble with stumps until you get to the big dozers.

When clearing questions come up I always think the wild card is the soil that one has to deal with. Your in Florida where many areas have a high sand content. If that is the case where you are you may well be suprised at what you can push over and it will most likely be larger than what I can here. Now bring your tractor up to my Georgia clay in the summer, when it is like concrete, and you will be disappointed.

MarkV

/ Clearing questions front a newbie. #4  
Unless you are pressed for time you've got all the equipment you need. Maybe a backblade or box blade for smoothing trails if you are real fussy.

A word of caution; trees have a tendency to whip back, have the tops fall on you, snag hydralic hoses, put holes in radiators and will come up in the most unexpected of places in an attempt to impale you. Filters may also be in danger so always keep an eye out for oil on the ground.

So use caution ??? [ how is it defined?? ] . Grill guards, be careful of trees slipping over the top of the bucket and whacking you. Try and get the hoses tied up and covered if possible and do wear a hard hat. A face sheild may also be advisable for the slaps it the face. And Ohh, Have fun.:D :D

/ Clearing questions front a newbie. #5  
Unless you have a crying need for the straight line, you can make a pretty good trail by simply driving through the woods with the mower behind you. Just avoid the big stuff, go slow, watch for rocks, etc. The overhead clearance problem should be minimal in a mature woods, but around the edges there will be a lot of low hanging branches to snag your hardhat, ROPS, and lights if they're high mounted. As has been said, watch your filters on the greasy side, too. Some tractors are more suited for woods work than others simply due to the placement of hoses, hard lines, lights, and filters. If you have stuff hanging down that could be snagged, rig it up out of the way. You may want to prewalk your trails for 50 or 100 foot segments before driving/mowing through, depending on how thick the herbaceous undergrowth is. It doesn't take many weeds to hide a serious rock. It might be advisable to set your FEL bucket about the same height as your mower to serve as a "mine sweeper" of sorts.

/ Clearing questions front a newbie. #6  
Egon said:
A word of caution; trees have a tendency to whip back, have the tops fall on you,

So use caution ??? [ how is it defined?? ] . Grill guards, be careful of trees slipping over the top of the bucket and whacking you. Try and get the hoses tied up and covered if possible and do wear a hard hat. A face sheild may also be advisable for the slaps it the face. And Ohh, Have fun.:D :D

GOOD POINT........Trees whip back. I had a good friend killed by a tree springing back... Can't be too careful!!!

Cheers....Coffeeman

/ Clearing questions front a newbie. #7  
Ah, clearing. The story of 90% of the last 280 hours on my tractor. Most of my clearing is done in dense second growth where the maximum tree is 8" across with ultra dense underbrush that can't be walked through. I save the big trees and pull out the smaller ones. I have found that if you try and remove the slash and brush that you end up with a huge problem of tons and tons of slash. If you can mow it and chop it up then you are time ahead. I have had good success with backing into the brush with a raised brushhog and then lowering it slowly, repeat 1000 times. Often, I'll find stumps or logs that can't be chopped up so I go around them. In the end you go back through and push this big stuff into a pile for burning or rotting.

If the area to be cleared is thinly vegetated and you can see well enough to go around stumps then just mow it like an overgrown lawn. As you push trees down and keep going forward to mow them remember not to change direction as the freshly mowed trees will pop up like spines on a porcupine and impale your tractor. I have mashed filters and plumbing, dented hood and fender but have never gotten a flat tire.

The deer seem to really enjoy the forest when it is cleared of underbrush but the large trees remain.

/ Clearing questions front a newbie. #8  
Blakemorar said:

Keep your eye on the temp gauge when using your mower in the weeds. It's easy to get the radiator screen partially clogged and overheat the coolant. My Kubota B7510HST has a nice sliding screen in front of the radiator that keeps most of the debris out of the radiator core. When I mow my 7+acres of weeds, I usually have to stop 2 or 3 times to clean that screen.

/ Clearing questions front a newbie. #9  
Blake, what tractor do you have? How wide is it? Im asking because my experience is with a 5' JD Bushog - - always only as wide or narrower than the tractor used. I believe the narrower than tractor setup is best for woods work, along with moving exclusively forward as much as possible. That way the tractor folds down everything the bh is going to chop. This spares the bh frame from the high forces needed to push a tree over far enuff for the 45 HP axe to get to it. Once youre there just go very slow and the bh will cut it and loosen and fray the stump. It is a problem to mulch up a big trunk, but there are ways around that. The 6' is a little big for the woods IMO. You will certainly need a slip clutch instead of a shear bolt or you wont be able to do anything but small stuff.
Larry

/ Clearing questions front a newbie. #10  
I also have done this a good bit. Make sure you have a good set of ear muffs on because the noise can really hurt your hearing. I learned the hard way and now I always wear muffs when doing that kind of work.