tractor manuals for free

/ tractor manuals for free #31  
GregH said:
John Bud, You come off as being a real *****. No one said anything about stealing. Most people as straightlaced as you seem to be have other things they are not so straight about. Try not being so abrupt to someone merely asking a question. A simple no would have sufficed. No , you were downright rude. You can get your point across without being RUDE!!!
GregH

GregH,

Thanks for the lesson on etiquette. Maybe you can even learn from your own posting...

jb

/ tractor manuals for free #32  
I need IMT 539 tractor repair manual or something like that< HAs anobody heard for that type of tractor? I m from Serbia, small country in Europe, and that is the most used type of tractor here. I mean IMT! I m layman in this, so please help!:eek:

/ tractor manuals for free #33  
Sorry, but I don't condone theft.

jb

Gee John, That is mean spirited. I have as well found many owners manuals on line for free. Many manufacturers provide manuals to allow parts sales and service. As a matter of fact, if you were to buy an expensive Italian sports car in this country, the dealer must allow you to review or study their shop manuals for free. Yes John for free. It is the law. So you can come down off your high horse indication that you don't condone theft. The man was asking for help, not your judgment. By the way, does anyone know where I can download a free owners manual for a John Deere 6600 combine? I am shopping to buy a combine and this would help my decision to buy John Deere. Not steal one but buy a John Deere. It will also help me learn which headers will fit it so I can buy some of those as well. Thank you.

/ tractor manuals for free #34  
Be careful on the old 8N, keep in mind that the PTO is only in motion when the clutch is out. When you stop the pto stops.

/ tractor manuals for free #35  
not exactly true.. you can be stopped.. in neutral, and have the pto running, as long as your foot is not on the clutch.

soundguy

/ tractor manuals for free #36  
This is an interesting thread. Interesting in that many business models that made sense at on point in time have changed as the information age and the internet have matured.

For example at one time a CD cost $15 or $20. So many people wouldn't buy it for that price that they started to "share" them for free. Sharing of that nature is theft according to copyright laws, but so many people did it that the industry had to search for a different business model. Now you can buy a download for 99 cents from ITunes and it is perfectly legal. This change in business model has meant that huge numbers of people are willing to pay 99 cents for what they could still download illegally for free.

Another example would be encyclopedias. At one time almost every home with kids in school, included a bunch of encyclopedias that the family had paid big bucks for. Now all of that information is available online for free. The business model has changed and instead of making money by selling the books, people make money by selling advertising based on their hit counts.

I would be VERY surprised if every tractor manufacturer did not have digital copies of all of their manuals available to them, and the cost to post PDF copies on their website would likely be negligible. Perhaps if they were convinced of the business value in providing these manuals for their customers, they would be willing to make the effort. There are many legitimate reasons someone might want a download, some already mentioned. I have a manual that I got with my tractor when I bought it used but I can still think of two good reasons to have a digital copy.
- I keep my manual with my tractor at the farm, but when I am in the city or at work I am looking online for info or parts. It is a pain in the butt to carry the manual back and forth. Plus I risk it getting lost or damaged.
- When I am working on my tractor I need to refer to the manual, but I don't want to touch it. It would be nice to be able to print off a "throw away copy" that I can leaf through when my fingers are dirty or greasy. I guess I could photocopy it, but aren't I "breaking the law" if I do that too?

Perhaps the business model that said "Tractor manuals must be a book that is sold to tractor owners" has passed us by as well? Does anyone else think it might be worth it to make a "lobbying effort" by some members of this forum to their favourite manufacturer? Perhaps if some of the companies see the customer interest in digital versions of their manuals, they may be willing to put the work into posting them. Certainly if John Deere already does it (you can search for them here: John Deere Ag - New Equipment: Technical Publications - Equipment Search, then others may be willing to make the effort just to stay competitive.

I have sent my email to Case. :thumbsup:

/ tractor manuals for free #37  
Here is the email I sent to Case IH North America. If anyone else wants to borrow the content and send a similar message to Case or any other tractor manufacturer, please feel free. Copyright laws do not apply to my email message. ;)

http://www.caseih.com/northamerica/Pages/Contact.aspx

Hi there, I am enquiring as to whether you will be offering your manuals online in the future. I received a manual with my old Case IH 1394, but I am afraid to open it and get it greasy , so I don't like to take it into the shop with me. That makes it hard to do repairs.

Selling manuals as books is a bit of an archaic business model. John Deere offers them free on their website John Deere Ag - New Equipment: Technical Publications - Equipment Search
If you have digital versions available to you already, it would be a great bonus to your customers if they could get that information from your website. Many thousands of businesses do that for their products, and more are doing it all the time. It gives their customers a way to "self serve" their support, and it builds customer loyalty if they believe the company cares about product support.
Thank you,
Your Name Here

/ tractor manuals for free #38  
Speaking of encyclopedias. I love my set.. and can read them by candle light if the power goes out.. :)

soundguy

/ tractor manuals for free #39  
Speaking of encyclopedias. I love my set.. and can read them by candle light if the power goes out.. :)

soundguy
... and I'll bet your candle will last longer then the battery on my laptop. ;)

Working on your tractor by candlelight though? Now that is an archaic business model! :laughing:

/ tractor manuals for free #40  
Here is the email I sent to Case IH North America. If anyone else wants to borrow the content and send a similar message to Case or any other tractor manufacturer, please feel free. Copyright laws do not apply to my email message. ;)

http://www.caseih.com/northamerica/Pages/Contact.aspx

So, would you be willing to give up your "shelf queen" Operator's Manual that you cherish so much you won't use it? Perhaps you should have suggested that customers be given the option of a printed manual or one in PDF format when making a purchase. Complaining that you don't want to get your manual greasy is sure to get your email posted on bulletin boards all over the CNH offices.:laughing: People will zero in on your "not get it greasy" comment and may not see your valid point that John Deere makes their Op. Man'ls available for free.:thumbsup:

I am retired from a aviation training company where I helped publish thousands of manuals, printed artwork, and training courseware materials. While our publications were all in digital format, most were not available in PDF format. They were mostly in a desktop publishing software format. It is VERY costly to maintain both printed and PDF formatted documents as well as publish CDs. Anytime there are revisions to be made, the old materials have to be sold or scrapped and new master files updated. This is not an automatic process. It takes manpower and proofreading to ensure the quality of the products. It is true that often the pruducts are driven by what the competition does. The most valid point you make is that John Deere makes Operator Manuals and online parts diagrams available to the public for free. CNH also makes parts diagrams available on their website for free, but not the Operator's Manuals.