Oil & Fuel Drain tractor fuel tank every year?

/ Drain tractor fuel tank every year? #1  

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
The owners manual for my NH TN 70 suggest that I drain the fuel tank every year to remove "crud" (my word). TN even has a nice little plug at the lowest part of the tank to allow this to be done. I bought my tractor used and I am sure the fuel tank has never been drained.

So, does anyone routinely drain their fuel tank as part of their maintenance routine?
Bob

/ Drain tractor fuel tank every year? #2  
Doc_Bob said:
The owners manual for my NH TN 70 suggest that I drain the fuel tank every year to remove "crud" (my word). TN even has a nice little plug at the lowest part of the tank to allow this to be done. I bought my tractor used and I am sure the fuel tank has never been drained.

So, does anyone routinely drain their fuel tank as part of their maintenance routine?
Bob

I routinely drain my fuel tank by USING it. That in turn routinely drains my wallet. Sad, but true.

I've got 2 tractors that have been with me for 34 and 28 years. Neither have ever had the fuel tank completely drained. A clean bulk tank, good filters, and I don't see the need.

Your results may vary.

/ Drain tractor fuel tank every year? #3  
If you are having repeated fuel problems and suspect debris / contaminants in tank, then drain the tank to check. Also if the tractor has been sitting a long time and you are worried about condensation you could drain a little out to check for water.

/ Drain tractor fuel tank every year?
onsight said:
If you are having repeated fuel problems and suspect debris / contaminants in tank, then drain the tank to check. Also if the tractor has been sitting a long time and you are worried about condensation you could drain a little out to check for water.

No probelms. I have run it 23 hours (total 193) and works fine. I am just motivated to do what I need to do to take good care of this beast.
Bob

/ Drain tractor fuel tank every year?
Farmwithjunk said:
I routinely drain my fuel tank by USING it. That in turn routinely drains my wallet. Sad, but true.

Good point. Use a lot of fuel, drain your wallet, tank is clean and wallet empty.
Bob

/ Drain tractor fuel tank every year? #6  
I usually drain the fuel tank on my tractor several times a year. :D

It makes it much easier to see the bottom of the tank!:eek:

The worst part is the walk and heavy fuel can!:(

/ Drain tractor fuel tank every year? #7  
There just isn't enough hours in a day to do it all Bob. No, we don't drain out tank, fact is we just replaced our tank not to awful long ago, does that count?

/ Drain tractor fuel tank every year? #8  
If you're itching for piece of mind.. get a pain filter and a clean jug... pull the drain and let a few cups drain into the filter/jug, then repalce the plug... The crap should pour out first.. if you don't see any..or much.. don't worry about it... Pour the filtered fuel back into the tank.

Soundguy

/ Drain tractor fuel tank every year? #9  
Shine a flashlight into your tank, mine's perfectly clean after 500 hours and y years. I change the filter every 100 hours, I do see a little crap in the sediment/filter bowl. If you see crap int he tank, drain it and get a new filter and a new gas cap.

/ Drain tractor fuel tank every year? #10  
I have an old 1910 I bought new and have never drained the tank in over 20 years. The dealer added a water trap when it was new but I have never seen water either. It has always been garaged. I think if you have clean fuel your OK. I do change the filter every year.