Tires Can wheels be removed/swapped when tires are filled?

/ Can wheels be removed/swapped when tires are filled? #1  

ratter

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1540
Sorry, a difficult question to word well...

My rear tires are fluid-filled. But I made an oversight when I ordered my tractor...I should've specified that the rears be set at the maximum width (my tractor has 4 different width settings), but I didn't. So they're set at the narrowest. Can a dealer or tire shop change things around now that the tires are filled, or would they need to empty them first and refill them?

Thanks,
-Mike

/ Can wheels be removed/swapped when tires are filled? #2  
You can probably do the work your self but with the extra weight of the filling in the tires you may get a hernia if you try it yourself with out help. Use a jack and lift one side of the tractor and move the wheel to where you want it. Lower the tractor and repeat on the other side.
Farwell

/ Can wheels be removed/swapped when tires are filled?
The centers of the wheels need to be removed from the rims, and reversed, and then reattached. I don't see any way that I could this myself. My concern was more along the lines of whether or not this was going to be an easy (read: cheap :D ) job or something more difficult for a tire shop to do...

/ Can wheels be removed/swapped when tires are filled? #4  
It can be done, but be carefull! Those things are HEAVY. I've removed and re-installed fluid-filled tire/wheels before by using a "cherry picker" engine hoist. Best to have a helper or two handy when you do it. (I had to unbolt the flat-top fenders on my tractors when I did use the engine hoist)

/ Can wheels be removed/swapped when tires are filled? #6  
Cheap is relative but it most certainly can be done. I would call someone who sells/services farm tires.

/ Can wheels be removed/swapped when tires are filled? #7  
If you've got a smooth concrete floor to work on...llike your garage, I'd consider using a pallet fork and a buddy.

/ Can wheels be removed/swapped when tires are filled? #8  
3RRL said:
If you've got a smooth concrete floor to work on...llike your garage, I'd consider using a pallet fork and a buddy.

Make that 2 buddies!:D

/ Can wheels be removed/swapped when tires are filled? #9  
It is not that bad of a job, but if you can get help from someone who has done it before, do it. A smooth, level concrete floor helps a lot and I would not try it anywhere else. Put the tractor in first gear and shut it off. Block the opposite side. Jack up the side you are removing until it clears the ground. Add a jack stand or blocks set so that the wheel remains just off the ground when lowered (within 1/2"). I try to split the load between the jack and the stand/blocks. Remove the lugs with an impact wrench but leave a couple on loose. Carefully remove the last couple lugs while holding the wheel upright. Grab with both hands near the top of the tire (10:00, 2:00 positions) and carefully wiggle it towards you while keeping it upright untill it clears the studs. Roll the wheel over to a post, wall, etc and tilt it slightly to it. Block it to keep it from rolling. Change out the parts to get your required spacing. These hubs are usually not that heavy as most of the weight is in the tires. Reverse this procedure to put the wheel back on but first shift the tractor into neutral to simplify aligning the lugs. I have tackled this job myself without mishap many times on ag tractors but the first few times I made sure I had an experienced helper or two.

/ Can wheels be removed/swapped when tires are filled? #10  
When I had to work on the filled tires on my TN (call them very heavy), I used a loader on a second tractor and did it in the middle of the woods. If you can get you hands on a second tractor with loader and a chain, you can do it yourself or with one friend. You could also do it yourself you park very close to a tree or wall so that the tire can only lean a few degrees. You don't really jack the tractor off the ground, you just barely take the weight off the bolts.

Andy