"Cat I and II Hitch"

/ "Cat I and II Hitch" #1  

LeadPoison

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M4900
My Kubota M4900 spec sheet says it has a Cat I and II hitch. I have spacers that I put on my harrow pins so they fit the lift arms. On my Woods 720 medium duty cutter the lower pins fit without the spacers on the hitch, which makes me think it's a Cat II implement.

Question: Does a Cat I and II hitch mean that it's really a Cat II that can pull Cat I stuff with pin spacers? Or am I way off and does it mean something entirely different?

/ "Cat I and II Hitch" #2  
Yes, The difference between them is the geometry of the 'triangle' that makes up the 3-point hitch. I don't have my chart handy but basically as you go from CAT 0 to 1 to 2 the pins get larger and spacing gets wider. You can use CAT 1 tools on CAT 2 hitch with bushing but you have the possibly of over stressing the CAT 1 implements.

Dave

/ "Cat I and II Hitch"
So my M4900 is a Cat II hitch with the ability to pull Cat I implements with bushings.

Here are the specs:

Category 0
For Tractors with up to 20 Horsepower
Top Link Pins are 5/8 inch in Diameter
Lift Arm Pins are 5/8 inch in Diameter

Category 1

For Tractors with 20 to 45 Horsepower
Top Link Pins are 3/4 inch in Diameter
Lift Arm Pins are 7/8 inch in Diameter

Category 2

For Tractors with 55-65 to 90-95 Horsepower
Top Link Pins are 1 inch in Diameter
Lift Arm Pins are 1 and 1/8 inch in Diameter

Category 3

For Tractors with 95 to 100 Horsepower and Up
Top Link Pins are 1 and 1/4 inch in Diameter
Lift Arm Pins are 1 and 7/16 inch in Diameter

/ "Cat I and II Hitch" #4  
I don't own a Kubota, but I suspect it's like my Case-IH in that the lower lift arms have Cat I links on one end and Cat II links on the other. You reverse the ends of the links to use the size you prefer. It sounds like yours is set for the Cat II on the implement end. If it wasn't set that way, you would have to replace the pins on your mower with cat I pins.

/ "Cat I and II Hitch" #5  
LeadPoison said:
My Kubota M4900 spec sheet says it has a Cat I and II hitch. I have spacers that I put on my harrow pins so they fit the lift arms. On my Woods 720 medium duty cutter the lower pins fit without the spacers on the hitch, which makes me think it's a Cat II implement.

Question: Does a Cat I and II hitch mean that it's really a Cat II that can pull Cat I stuff with pin spacers? Or am I way off and does it mean something entirely different?

I have the same setup with my L5030 and I have the same exact Woods 720 cutter with cat II lower pins.
I noticed the bushings/spacers provided by Kubota were short, sometimes allowing the bushing to almost slip out of the 3 pt lift arm hole. I went to TSC and purchased longer ones to better stay in place. The cutter is the only cat II implement I have, but I was careful to purchase cat I implements rated for the tractor pto hp (43), so that I hopefully won't overpower them.
Terry