Oil & Fuel fuel can nozzle part dropped in fuel tank

/ fuel can nozzle part dropped in fuel tank #1  

wilkesland

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 1260
I am not having a good day. Just finished fueling my MF 1260 and while fueling, the nozzle assembly on the fuel can came apart, with the plastic end piece dropping into the fuel tank. (Multiple expletives deleted) Attached is a photo showing what I am talking about. The nozzle on the left is as it should be, the one on the right is missing the end cap, which is now in my fuel tank. This is a spring loaded mechanism (which I find terribly aggravating to use, but that is another story.) Fortunately, neither the spring nor any of the other metal parts dropped into the fuel tank.

Will it be ok just to leave that plastic cap in the tank and hope it disintergates over time, or do I need to remove it? If it needs to be removed, how?

Thanks in advance for the advice/help.

Attachments

• Image002.jpg
    Image002.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 376
   / fuel can nozzle part dropped in fuel tank #2  
Try a wire with a hook in the end to pull it near the surface, then some sort of a grab tool to get it through the opening.

It might be easier to wait until the fuel level goes down.

/ fuel can nozzle part dropped in fuel tank #3  
I would want it out.

Tool called mechanics fingers and more cussing.

Different lengths are available, squeeze the button on the end and the jaws open up on the other end, then let go and they retract and close.

No fun, but the only way I am aware of to fish it out.

http://www.setools.com/mechfing.shtml

/ fuel can nozzle part dropped in fuel tank #4  
BUMMER :(

I would wait until you run low on fuel then take a flashlight and one of the 3 pronged grabbers and go fishing. be careful not the mess with the float for the fuel gauge sending unit.

If all else fails drain the tank, pull it and do the shake-shake-shake upside down.

/ fuel can nozzle part dropped in fuel tank #5  
I'd try the hook first, then the "grabbers". If all else fails, sharpen the best point you can on a piece of coathanger wire and try to harpoon it. ("Grill skewer" might work. It would probably help if you drained as much fuel out as possible in order to see it better.

Any way you shake it, you're in for some real "fun". :(

/ fuel can nozzle part dropped in fuel tank #6  
Farmwithjunk said:
I'd try the hook first, then the "grabbers". If all else fails, sharpen the best point you can on a piece of coathanger wire and try to harpoon it. ("Grill skewer" might work. It would probably help if you drained as much fuel out as possible in order to see it better.

Any way you shake it, you're in for some real "fun". :(

Be very careful with sharp objects, especially if your tank is plastic. This comes from a TBN member that just recently had to replace his fuel tank. :(

/ fuel can nozzle part dropped in fuel tank #7  
Agree with others here. Let the fuel level get down a ways then go fishing. You want it out though. Could get caught over the fuel drain and restrict flow. If it disintegrates, small pieces could come apart and get sucked into all kinds of places you don't want them.

Assume this is not floating, right? If not, could park it on a bank or one side in a ditch to get it to roll to the bottom side of the tank. Might just save a little time fishing around in there. Agree with others, the "pick" fingers tool should do the trick.

Good luck.

/ fuel can nozzle part dropped in fuel tank #8  
i wouldn't worry about it.

/ fuel can nozzle part dropped in fuel tank #9  
i'm surprised its not floating. someone needs to invent a plastic magnet.

/ fuel can nozzle part dropped in fuel tank #10  
PineRidge said:
Be very careful with sharp objects, especially if your tank is plastic. This comes from a TBN member that just recently had to replace his fuel tank. :(

Good catch. I'm just a bit "out of the loop" on tractors that have plastic ANYTHING. That's reason # 763,897 on my short list of reasons why I own old iron only.