Landscape rakes and rocks

/ Landscape rakes and rocks #1  

DCS

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4310
I have a 3 or 4 acre area that is full of softball size rocks that I would like to clear out. I have tried using a box blade, but it just bounces over the top of them for the most part. How well does a landscape rake do at removing rocks. I guess I am wondering if it would bounce over them also.

/ Landscape rakes and rocks #2  
The landscape rake is a lot lighter than the box blade. I'm going to guess that you might need to drop the teeth of the box blade some to loosen things up, then use the landscape rake to gather up the rocks and leave the dirt behind. There are implements made specifically for picking up rocks, but you probably don't want to go to that expense for what you hope is a one time job. Be aware, however, that rocky fields tend to "grow" new rocks every year as frost action works on your ground. If you don't get frost in the ground, it isn't quite as big a problem.

/ Landscape rakes and rocks #3  
Yeah, being in Texas he may be lucky enough not to have new spring rock crops every year!

I say give the landscape rake a try for the same reason. A FEL with a rock bucket would be expensive.

/ Landscape rakes and rocks #4  
Never been to Texas, but I hear the panhandle can get pretty chilly in a winter storm when there's nothing between you and the North Pole except a barb wire fence with two of the wires down.

/ Landscape rakes and rocks #5  
That's about all we have here in Wood County too. Can't get a windbreak up either because everytime I plant trees the farmer sprays them with weedkiller.

/ Landscape rakes and rocks #6  
If the rocks are partially covered I agree with Dateacha. If they are already on top of the ground, you can do it with a rake without bothering the ground too much. I angle my rake so the rocks just slide off the rake to the side. You just keep doing that until most of the rocks are pushed into a row. I guess it is like mowing a lawn. You keep going over the already cut grass a little to move it all into as few rows as possible. After I'm finished, I just pick them up with my bucket.

/ Landscape rakes and rocks #7  
I'm running a 6' landscape rake behind my lawnmower and collecting small rocks as well.

Some caveats:
1. Run the top link on 3 pt long to get aggressive with rake tines and minimize rocks from rolling under tines.

2. Rocks will drop in low spots.

Much faster than my rock bucket on loader. It picks up excessive dirt clods and weeds.

/ Landscape rakes and rocks #8  
Roxy -- Your neighbor should be responsible for his overspray. If it kills your landscaping, let him know about it. He should be willing to pay for the damages he caused. If not, you're out there in no-till country where they value ground cover pretty highly and your windbreak should be something the local SCS office might help you with.