Proper Use of Attachments?

/ Proper Use of Attachments? #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
I have to say I have been totally thrilled with this group. I have asked two questions, and each has been answered many times with great advice.

This all said, I would love to maybe start some threads on how to properly use attachments. In my case inparticular, I plan to purchase a brush hog, box scraper, sprayer and one day a chipper. I was planning on a Kubota L3400 Hydro but that may change.

So, to each, what is the proper size vs HP. Are there better brands (I have seen posts on Box Scrapers but nothing on chippers or brush hogs). Any tricks, like shear botls and such, any special maintenance tricks? Just general " fatherly " advice?

I ask because I have few people for advice. I used to live on a farm, but those days are long gone, and my current crop of friends are city folk.

Thanks to all again.

/ Proper Use of Attachments? #2  
woodlandfarms said:
This all said, I would love to maybe start some threads on how to properly use attachments. In my case inparticular, I plan to purchase a brush hog, box scraper, sprayer and one day a chipper. I was planning on a Kubota L3400 Hydro but that may change.

With pictures.
Bob

/ Proper Use of Attachments? #3  
Others will chime in I'm sure, but you may want to give the search engines on this site a whirl. There have been a ton of posts regarding chippers and brush mowers as well as for other attachments. I've found a lot of extremely useful information in these prior posts.

Like you, I am impressed with the folks who hang out here at TBN. They are, as a group, the most helpful, courteous folks I've encountered in participating and lurking in various forums.

/ Proper Use of Attachments? #4  
I'll give you what little advice I have. I have an L3000, so a little smaller than the L3400 you are planning on. I run a 5 foot bush hog on mine and it's all my tractor can handle, sometimes. I'm on some pretty hilly terrain, so keep that in mind, and I let things grow up pretty tall before I get to them. I have to go pretty slow through some of the thicker weeds. Keep that in mind if you opt for the 6 foot bush hog. You might get away with it if you go slower or don't have the thick weeds to go through that I do. I will say that bush hogging is one of the most satisfying things I've done. Very nice to see a big batch of weeds reduced to rubble in your wake!

As far as the chipper goes, I had visions of a chipper at one time, but after reading on here and seeing the cost, I've put that out of my mind. I can go and rent a chipper for a day every now and then and still come out waaaaaay ahead on that front.

I can't help you with the sprayer or box blade, as I have no experience with either.

/ Proper Use of Attachments? #5  
Woodland farms, I'd suggest putting a little more info in your profile so we know where you live, size acreage etc.. It's possible someone who can help lives nearby and can help with your questions.

Harris

/ Proper Use of Attachments?
Sorry for the vagueness.

I bought 40 acres of rolling to severe rolling in Woodland, Washington. It has been neglected for at least 10 years. The blackberries are everywhere, but it is a diamond in the ruff. Just from walking around with a weedwhacker we can see the beauty of the property. Have been speaking to a bunch of the local dealers, one very nice gentleman tried to hook us up with a New Used Kubota 3420 today, but it was sold in just a few hours.

I have the money for 25 to 30 HP, but it looks like I need 40... Wondering now about used.

This all said, my thread was just to get some experienced advice so the curve won't be nearly as severe

All the best

Carl

/ Proper Use of Attachments? #7  
I'd recommend, as I almost always do, a simple basic no frills, but powerful tractor like the Kubota L4400 or the JD 990.

As for attachments, there is a whole forum here for that and enough knowledge here to fill up a book with the finer points of each type. Check out the Attachment Forums and ask specific questions about specific implements. These fine folks got me started too and so far their advice has been right on the money.

/ Proper Use of Attachments? #8  
A rough starting point of at least 5 pto hp per foot of rough cut mower will get you in the ballpark. ( for mowing.. )

As for box blade.. figure on getting one to cover your rear tracks, if possible.. If ya got a wide tractor ( turf tires ).. ya might not be able to achieve that, and will have to downsize due to traction / drawbar hp issues.. etc.

Soundguy

Soundguy

/ Proper Use of Attachments? #9  
When I was tractor shopping quite a few of the brochures available free in the showrooms listed the attachments that worked with the various models. The NH book showed specs for the attachments, too. That kind of stuff should be a good indicator how much implement various size tractors can handle. Of course, you do have go to the trouble of going to the showrooms, looking at the new hardware, drooling all over the place, and maybe buying something, but that's a risk you have to take. :)

/ Proper Use of Attachments? #10  
When shopping for my tractor i was shocked at how cheep the used TC45 (series) were. I could have bought one of them for the same price i payed for my smaller TC33.

but as it is, the 33 is all i need sooooo....