Harley Diesel

/ Harley Diesel #3  
Looks like they need to change the front grill, tires, and horn too :)

Maybe it's just me, but a diesel 2 wheeler? Think I'll keep my gasser :D

No offense intended.

/ Harley Diesel #4  
Since most bikes seem to be about high rpm and horsepower and diesels are about torque at low rpm, I just have to wonder WHY?

As a "simple" exercise in seeing if it will work, okay. But is there any practical reason to convert a bike to an oil burner?

/ Harley Diesel
I think it is more the point of doing it, because he can. Apparently my brother slightly knows the guy and he did another one of these with a Deere motor and painted it up green/yellow to give it that John Deere look. Aren't most of the eccentric projects you see out there done just because someone wants to see if they can? Anyway, people look at me as crazy, because I have a tractor in the backyard. A little odd maybe, but crazy....

Darrell

/ Harley Diesel #6  
Just for fun makes sense to me. I was just wondering if there was some practical advantage to having a diesel bike.
There are so many street rods that show up at our annual rod run that it makes you wonder what could have been accomplished if all that ingenuity and skill had been focused on one project. Some of those guys do amazing work, spend thousands of hours and dollars, and their only tangible reward is a people's choice trophy worth about $5. It's the intangibles that make it worth doing.

/ Harley Diesel #7  
Hope that idea never catches on...but than again I am kinda old fashion.

/ Harley Diesel #8  
daTeacha said:
As a "simple" exercise in seeing if it will work, okay. But is there any practical reason to convert a bike to an oil burner?

The military has a Kawasaki KLR650 conversion with a diesel engine. It was done so only diesel fuel need be transported into battle. That's the only reason I can think of.

/ Harley Diesel #9  
I wonder what kind of fuel economy this would get. I know my brother had a little VW diesel car and it got incredible fuel economy. You may get upwards of 100 MPG.

While we're on the subject of motorcycles and tractors, take a look at the top picture at this link...

Motorcycle-engine powered Tractor

Last edited:
   / Harley Diesel #10  
Since most bikes seem to be about high rpm and horsepower and diesels are about torque at low rpm, I just have to wonder WHY?

Aren't ALL Harleys "oil burners" ?