Tires Should I put water in the tires?

/ Should I put water in the tires? #11  
AndyMA said:
Pleased do not follow this advice. Antifreeze has a sweet taste that is very attractive to drink. Please do not let antifreeze get anywhere a human or animal can get at it.

Andy

Easy.. just use eco-safe non toxif antifreeze.

To the original poster... water will add ballast weight. That will help some with traction.. though not much will help with turf tires in 'ball bearing' sand..

Ag's or rice n kane 'paddle' tires would give you the best traction in deep loose sand.

Soundguy

/ Should I put water in the tires? #12  
Oldmax said:
If you use water use RV type anti-freeze mix 1/2 just like you put in car .
dealer put mine in but used regular anti-freeze always use tube in tires .
RV antifreeze will freeze solid, it just doesn't expand. Stick a cup in your freezer if you don't believe me. It would probably be ok in the south, but not around here.

/ Should I put water in the tires? #13  
tawilson said:
RV antifreeze will freeze solid, it just doesn't expand. Stick a cup in your freezer if you don't believe me. It would probably be ok in the south, but not around here.

Get a propylene based af..

Soundguy

/ Should I put water in the tires? #14  
Anti-freeze is best. Your car has rubber hoses to the radiator, doesn't it? Does your engine block rust out with anti-freeze (AF). No. Do your animals drink leaks from under the car? If so, they or their owners are idiots and Darwin would approve.

I saw another thread which suggested filling tires half full with AF to maintain a low center-of-gravity. I like this idea. My question is simple: what do I use to fill the tire with AF?

/ Should I put water in the tires? #15  
Quote: My question is simple: what do I use to fill the tire with AF?

If you have the two piece liquid valve stems on your tractor, various places including Gemplers sell a fill adaptor that lets air escape as liquid goes in. However, with the schrader insert removed these valves give a big enuf hole to siphon fluid thru just using a piece of 1/4" tubing. It will take awhile, but you dont have to sit and watch it except at the last.
Larry

/ Should I put water in the tires? #16  
45er,

Yep, fill the tires with a mixture of water and antifreeze. Being in TX, you will only need a gallon or two per tire for any freeze protection and most corrosion protection. But, I would add a couple cans of the additive stuff NAPA sells to protect against corrosion, just to be sure.

On the topic of antifreeze and animals: They are only at risk if they can get to the liquid. While in the tire, they are safe. Also, in the great state of Texas, if you have a leak it won't stay as a puddle for long with your sandy soil. If you fill with 30-40 gal of solution and 1-2 gal is antifreeze it isn't going to cause great harm to the earth if it does leak. Just for persepective, your radiator is full of 50% antifreeze....

jb

/ Should I put water in the tires? #17  
If everyone is worried about animal impact.. just get the non poisonous AF.. it's readilly available..

Soundguy

/ Should I put water in the tires? #18  
Also, check your tires to make sure they aren't filled already. My dealer told me that mine weren't. I got it all jacked up, popped the valve stem off and got a geyser of anti-freeze in my face....no joke. I was hopping mad, but in the end it was my goof since I should have checked with the valve stem at the 12 o'clock postion. So before you do anything, jack it up, rotate the tire until the valve stem is at 12 o'clock and then remove the end of the two piece stem. As the air is ruching out, rotate the tire until the stem is at about the 3 o'clock position. If no geyser, then you need to fill them.

/ Should I put water in the tires? #19  
"The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified propylene glycol as an additive that is "generally recognized as safe" for use in food. It is used to absorb extra water and maintain moisture in certain medicines, cosmetics, or food products. It is a solvent for food colors and flavors."

id say its safe for an anitfreeze if you were THAT worried about ethylene glycol.

But like most things today for some reason we feel that we have protect ourselves from us. (ie theres nothing wrong with ethylene glycol if you are normally responsible with it)

/ Should I put water in the tires? #20  
Spyderlk: As I recall, sunken steel ships rust underwater ...could there be oxygen dissolved in the water?