Tires Should I put water in the tires?

/ Should I put water in the tires? #1  

45er

Tractor
New Holland 1925
I have a New Holland 1925 tractor. I bought it used and it came with turf tires. While they have been "OK" for use on my very sandy soil, they do slip a lot. I began looking for some new tires and rims and found a new set of "take off" R4 tires that will fit on my tractor. However, they are $1150. A friend told me that these R4 tires would dig into the sandy soil just as fast as the turf tires, and suggested I just fill the back tires of the tractor with water. He said this would give me the traction I need without spending a bunch of money (which I don't have an abundance of). What are the general thoughts on this? Is there anything I should add to the water to inhibit corrosion? Should I bite the bullet and buy the new tires? (By the way, a new set of R1 tires/rims for my tractor would be about $1550). Thanks.

/ Should I put water in the tires? #2  
The R4 tires should give you a little more traction, but, not sure if in sand this will not make a big difference - especially for $1150.

Not sure of your location, but obviously you need to be aware of the water freezing if you are in area that gets below freezing. Also, there are other options to water that are better. I would avoid anti-freeze due to environmental and risk to animals if it leaks. Can use windshield wiper fluid, beet juice and calcium chloride - can do a search of these and find a lot of good pro and con discussions of each. A few of these will also be heavier than just "straight" water. Making sure that the rim is covered will also help fight corrosion. You also want to make sure the tires are almost full to avoid sloshing and possibly decreasing the stability while moving and stopping.

Eddie

/ Should I put water in the tires?
I live near Bellville, Texas and the tractor will stay inside a closed barn. I doubt that freezing the water in the tires would be a big concern, so water should work. I am concerned about corrosion though. How do you go about protecting the rims from the exposure to water? Are there any environmentally suitable additives that would help?

/ Should I put water in the tires? #4  
I suppose you could put tubes in the tires. I had a 1300 with turf tires and put a set of chains on it. They didn't seem to chew the turf up too much and gave me considerably more traction.

/ Should I put water in the tires? #5  
45er said:
I live near Bellville, Texas and the tractor will stay inside a closed barn. I doubt that freezing the water in the tires would be a big concern, so water should work. I am concerned about corrosion though. How do you go about protecting the rims from the exposure to water? Are there any environmentally suitable additives that would help?

I used anti freeze for freezing and for corrosion protection. My pets live in my shop and wouldn't drink antifreeze if it was in their water bowl. Windshield washer fluid is for freezing but don't think it does anything for corrosion. You can buy a corrosion preventative at a parts store like O'Reilly's. I recommend corrosion protection, but I'm thinking very long term.

/ Should I put water in the tires? #6  
45er said:
I use water in mine for the major convenience of dealing with it at whim. I have formulated a plan for corrosion but havnt yet put it in effect. It is - "air" the tires with nitrogen a couple times to flush out oxygen, then fill with water to the desired level. Maintain pressure with nitrogen. Some of the tire centers are using nitrogen these days - it is extracted from compressed air by a device added on to the compressor system. You could probably get it from them pretty cheap.
Larry

/ Should I put water in the tires? #7  
Subject 'freezing' I bought my old man a small garden tractor with blade back when I was in the service. When I retired it tried to use it to plow snow one day - nope, froze solid, by the feel they were about 3/4 full of water (ice). Talk about a strange, rough ride.

Harry K

/ Should I put water in the tires? #8  
ovrszd said:
I used anti freeze for freezing and for corrosion protection. My pets live in my shop and wouldn't drink antifreeze if it was in their water bowl. Windshield washer fluid is for freezing but don't think it does anything for corrosion. You can buy a corrosion preventative at a parts store like O'Reilly's. I recommend corrosion protection, but I'm thinking very long term.

Pleased do not follow this advice. Antifreeze has a sweet taste that is very attractive to drink. Please do not let antifreeze get anywhere a human or animal can get at it.

Andy

/ Should I put water in the tires? #9  
AndyMA said:
Pleased do not follow this advice. Antifreeze has a sweet taste that is very attractive to drink. Please do not let antifreeze get anywhere a human or animal can get at it.

Andy

Excuse me Andy, I didn't offer any advice. I simply stated what I do. I never suggest you or anyone else do what I do. I only state what I do for a general consensus to the person asking the question. As I stated "MY" pets would drink out of my sewer lagoon before they would drink Anti-Freeze. My grandkids know what anti-freeze is before they can talk well enough to say it. If there are those of you out there that have kids around that don't know to not drink anti-freeze, while you are teaching them not to, I suggest you also teach them to stay out of the medicine cabinet and out from under the kitchen sink. :)

/ Should I put water in the tires? #10  
If you use water use RV type anti-freeze mix 1/2 just like you put in car .
dealer put mine in but used regular anti-freeze always use tube in tires .