How many hours is "heavily used"?

/ How many hours is "heavily used"? #11  
As FWJ said, it depends on a lot of things.

But, that being said, 2500 hours is barely mid-life, if that, on an ag tractor, which, at 52 hp, your tractor pretty well qualifies as one.

I would not consider 2500 hours to be something to worry about, unless:
1. You're burning a lot of oil
2. You have a hard time getting it started in relatively cool weather.

But even with those kind of problems, $30 grand will pay for a bunch of repairs. I think you're better off keeping it and doing whatever maintenance that it needs.

/ How many hours is "heavily used"? #12  
I read in a landscape magazine that a small diesel should go 100 hr. / 1 hp. I have a NH 1620 with 4500 hours on it and I had it overhauled at 2400 hr. It has a seased ring. I also had the hydro pump replaced at that time because it was a minor expence when is all toren down. I have had other repairs of the 3 pt arms and rock shaft that I fix myself.

/ How many hours is "heavily used"? #13  
A modern diesel should go at least 5000 hours before needing any major rebuilds. 10,000 hours is probably the far end where most all tractors will need a rebuild. Clean air from frequent filter changes and good oil will make them last a long long time.

For reference, at 8500 hours my 1963 ford 172 diesel needed a rebuild. It was still close enough for standard bore, but some previous owner had used ether to start it and blew out the ring lands on 2 pistons and that had done some light scoring. A .020 over bore cleaned it up. Crank was also just at the end of standard bore, so it went 0.10 under grind. Had the engine been treated to better maintenace....
jb

/ How many hours is "heavily used"?
Thanks so much to everyone who replied to my post. I had just about decided to muddle on with this one (which just came back from the shop with among other things, a new clutch and a $1600 repair bill:mad: ) until I went out to bushhog this am and the PTO isn't working! The light lights up, but there is no movement. We've had PTO issues before, as well as clutch adjustment problems, fuel line problems, several leaks in various "compartments", and hydraulic issues. We've spent a small fortune and the sorry machine is still usually in the shop.
Neither my husband nor I are mechanically savvy. He grew up in the burbs and although I'm the farm girl, I never learned much beyond where the grease fittings are and changing implements. I've basically decided that this one is just a lemon and/or was not cared for properly in its youth. Although the new ones are pricey, this frustration is not worth it. Figure if I start with a new machine and follow the owners manual re: maintenance, will be better off.
Appreciate any and all suggestions, advice and input. Wondering if we should stick with Massey. We got this one from the local dealer and feel he should make good on it, especially since I think he gouged us on the price back in 2000 ($18k @ 1900hrs., FEL already attached). Then again, our experience with the brand, thus far, hasn't been very sweet.
Thanks,
Joan

/ How many hours is "heavily used"? #15  
Well, I personally wouldn't want to get "bit" again ! Thankfully, my Kubota has been near perfect. Only a couple filter failures at low temperatures. New design filters have corrected that issue, so no worries now.

Remember that all companies make lemons occasionally. Maybe it is time to change camps and check out the new JD's and Kubotas?

Good luck!
jb

/ How many hours is "heavily used"? #16  
$1,600 isn't exactly chump change, but it is in comparison to $32k! Buying a new $32k tractor will cost you at least $5k in depreciation ALONE in EACH of the first 2 years you own it. Something to think about. I would spend the $1.6k and invest the difference and come out WAY ahead financially in the long run.

/ How many hours is "heavily used"? #17  
2manyhorses said:
Thanks so much to everyone who replied to my post. I had just about decided to muddle on with this one (which just came back from the shop with among other things, a new clutch and a $1600 repair bill:mad: ) until I went out to bushhog this am and the PTO isn't working! The light lights up, but there is no movement. We've had PTO issues before, as well as clutch adjustment problems, fuel line problems, several leaks in various "compartments", and hydraulic issues. We've spent a small fortune and the sorry machine is still usually in the shop.
Neither my husband nor I are mechanically savvy. He grew up in the burbs and although I'm the farm girl, I never learned much beyond where the grease fittings are and changing implements. I've basically decided that this one is just a lemon and/or was not cared for properly in its youth. Although the new ones are pricey, this frustration is not worth it. Figure if I start with a new machine and follow the owners manual re: maintenance, will be better off.
Appreciate any and all suggestions, advice and input. Wondering if we should stick with Massey. We got this one from the local dealer and feel he should make good on it, especially since I think he gouged us on the price back in 2000 ($18k @ 1900hrs., FEL already attached). Then again, our experience with the brand, thus far, hasn't been very sweet.
Thanks,
Joan

When you buy a used tractor, regardless of the fact you bought it from a dealer, regardless of its age, you bought a USED tractor. You don't know it's history. The dealer only knows what he was told. I've seen tractors literally destroyed in a couple hundred hours of use. I answered an add a few years back for a low houred John Deere 5410. It was at a rental store.The tractor had less than 500 hours, yet it was needing it's THIRD new clutch.

I would hesitate to blame the BRAND, no matter what brand, without full knowledge of it's history.

I've owned several Masseys, several John Deere's, a few Fords (now New Holland) an International Harvester, 2 old Allis Chalmers, and one Case. I've had mixed results with both new AND used.

I would take a long look at how the DEALER has worked with you. That may be more telling than anything. If you have ongoing issues with items they've "repaired", you may want to look elsewhere.

For the most part, any GOOD dealership or tractor repair business should be willing to work on any brand. Anyone whos decides to own a tractor, and ISN'T capable of doing their own repairs should find themselves a good tractor mechanic. They're out there. Local John Deere dealership has a few of every color in their repair lot. Local independent repair shop specializing in Masseys has several Kubotas, a Deere, and a couple "grey markets" sitting outside. They don't exclude "other brands". You are under no obligation to patronize a certain brand dealer in order to get good service.

/ How many hours is "heavily used"? #18  
2manyhorses said:
Is 2500 hrs. the point where one would expect to start having problems?:confused:

Hard to put an exact number on what is heavily used. My definition of heavily used would mean major overhaul or repair. For my useage and how I treat a CUT, I would say 4000-5000 hours. For my brother-in-law and a CUT, I would say 2000 hours.:eek: A large fram tractor 8000-10,000 hours. A skid loader 3000-4000 hours. It really depends on how hard they are used and who runs them.
Some brands of equipment and even certain models in specific brands can have known reliability problems. I rarely buy a new model unless it is based on prior reliable models and doesn't have significant changes. I will buy a new model if it has features that I consider necessary or unique to an equipment line. Although I shouldn't say it (please forgive me), when JD first started making their own skid steers and CUTs there were known issues with the early models. (Yes, I own JD tractors.)

/ How many hours is "heavily used"? #19  
2manyhorses said:
We got this one from the local dealer and feel he should make good on it, especially since I think he gouged us on the price back in 2000 ($18k @ 1900hrs., FEL already attached). Then again, our experience with the brand, thus far, hasn't been very sweet.
Thanks,
Joan

Mornin Joan,
Wow, that seems very high !!! I bought my MF-1040 from a local landscape nursery business on January 2004 for $6000 with the loader. He mostly used it to load mulch onto customers trucks. The machine had 1300 hrs on it when I bought it or there about. I have fixed a few things on it but nothing major. The most expensive thing was a set of new front ag tires. But it sounds like youve got a bit more tractor than me, my machine is only 32 HP.

I believe that your dealer should stand behind a machine that he sold you. If you and your husband feel your pumping money into a bottomless pit then maybe consider trading this machine for a new one from your dealer might be the logical way out of this mess !

Good Luck in what ever you decide :)

/ How many hours is "heavily used"? #20  
Joan,
I agree with scott_vt up to the point where he says "your dealer". I'd go elsewhere. Seems like "your dealer" has done you no favors. It appears he overcharged you for your current tractor, could not support the current tractor in a satisfactory way, and now is attempting to overcharge you for a new tractor....or maybe just sell you too much tractor. Time to take matters into your own hands, realistically assess your needs and select the best machine for the job. We're here to help.

I understand your frustration. When you finally find the time to do some tractor work, you go to run the blamed thing and find it's not going to cooperate. That's what finally led me to buy my first new tractor, a Kubota L4300. It's great having something that works.

I see from your photos that the MF appears to be pulling a 6' brushhog. If that and loader work are its primary function, you probably don't need a 32K tractor. Visit a Kubota dealer and ask about their basic tractor line. I'd wager he could fix you up with an L4400, an MX5000 or even an M5040 for much less than 32K including loader, without trade-in. Some on this site are reporting no-trade-in prices of about $20K on an L4400 with FEL. Any of these models would easily pull a 6' brushhog. With the MF trade-in you should do even better.

I quoted Kubota models because I'm most familiar with them. JD and NH have similar models at competitive prices. BTW I shied away from Kubota at the start because I hated the garish orange paint. But it's amazing how that orange grows on you once you realize how reliable the tractors are.

Let us know what the tractor's tasks will be, what implements you have and their sizes and we'll be better able to help you find the bargains.
FWIW
Bob