flipped B2910

/ flipped B2910 #1  

pgilhool

Tractor
Kubota B2910
Any recommendations. I flipped the tractor (bucket on front & RFM on back)on a steep hill. rolled it twice. (ROPS down). I turned if off while it was choking. It stayed on the right side approx 1/2 hr. Neighbor's small John Deere uprighted the machine.
Small amt of hydrualic fluid dripped from the unknown areas from the front hydraulics and less then an ounce of oil from air intake.
I have not started it since. Can I? What kind of things should I be looking for.

/ flipped B2910 #2  
Hope your OK !
Let it sit for a few hours for the fluids to drain back down. Pull the glow plugs before cranking or you could damage the rods from being hydraulic/oil locked in the top of the cylinder. Make sure fluid levels are full. Check the battery too (acid). Crank it to push any oil out of the top of the cylinders. Replace glow plugs and start it up.

/ flipped B2910
Thanks for your help. Now I have to figure out how to change the plugs.

/ flipped B2910 #4  
You don't change the plugs. Just remove them and then reinstall them after cranking it over. But you can also try to rotate the engine by hand to see if turns over without any problem. Could be hard to do though on a diesel. If it is a gear tractor, jack up one rear wheel, put it in high gear and sloooowwwllllyyy turn over the engine several times using the rear wheel to make sure everything is ok. Most likely you didn't get enough oil above the pistons to hurt anything.

/ flipped B2910 #5  
Glad the only thing you hurt was your pride. There has been a lot of traffic here lately about sidehills. Can you post a picture or somehow measure the angle of the hill? I don't like seeing post titles about rolling the tractor over and your experience might help someone else from accomplishing the same thing.

Did you say your ROPS was down?? Seatbelt on or off? Did you ride it out or bail out? I presume if the ROPS was down and it rolled twice you weren't in it?

/ flipped B2910 #6  
kmdigital said:
But you can also try to rotate the engine by hand to see if turns over without any problem. Could be hard to do though on a diesel.
Some time ago I read here at TBN that turning a diesel over by hand is risky, since the diesel might start, since there is no ignition, and it fires by compression.

Something to keep in mind. Don't know how probably a start would be...this is one of those things I probably would not think of myself, so when I read it I burned it into my memory banks...and thought I might pass along here...:)

/ flipped B2910 #7  
I'd check tire pressures too, one of the tires could be a little low which would make it more likely to tip over on a slope.

Last edited:
   / flipped B2910 #8  
Being that it rolled over twice, with FEL and RFM on, was kind of wondering what other damage happened? like twisted FEL arms, banged up mower, 3 pt out of wack etc! can you post some pics?

/ flipped B2910 #9  
Henro,
A diesel won't start when it is cranked over if there isn't any fuel going to the injectors. Either pull the main fuel cutoff, or turn the key off if it uses an electric solenoid, and there aren't any fears of it starting.

/ flipped B2910 #10  
A diesel can fire with oil on top of the piston. It most likly would not while turning by hand, but IS possible. Take out the glow plugs first.