How much tractor do I really need?

/ How much tractor do I really need? #1  

2manyhorses

Responses to my other post have made me question the assumption that we really need a full 52 (gross) HP tractor.
We run the 6' Bushhog on the apprx. 40-50 acres that are cleared or in the process of being reclaimed. Have a heavy, ancient manure spreader, so rusted I can't read the name, that the neighbor virtually gave us...8 horses and counting-I do some rescue. Use the FEL (w/spike)for round bales, and for moving everything from large rocks to mulch and gravel. Also have a 6' heavy duty scrape blade and a 6' box blade (half mile gravel driveway... washboard summer and up to 2' snowdrifts winter). We have major hills and feel better with a 4WD. If I could get away with a smaller tractor, would be thrilled, just don't want the frustration of finding I have less than I need.

/ How much tractor do I really need? #2  
whats the reason for asking?

having trouble justifying the larger $$?

looking used?

if all other things equal, (if i had the space) id rather have the larger tractor for the same money.

lets look at it another way... if you did get the larger one... what would make you say "man this was a mistake" . Obiously if you get the smaller one its easy to say "this was a mistake" when it wont do what you want....

from what ive seen fuel usage is relitive (larger machines use more, but can get things done quicker) they use some sort of hp/gal/hr or something weird like that.

Im shure you can always find more uses for larger equip, than for smaller.

/ How much tractor do I really need? #3  
2manyhorses said:
Responses to my other post have made me question the assumption that we really need a full 52 (gross) HP tractor.
We run the 6' Bushhog on the apprx. 40-50 acres that are cleared or in the process of being reclaimed. Have a heavy, ancient manure spreader, so rusted I can't read the name, that the neighbor virtually gave us...8 horses and counting-I do some rescue. Use the FEL (w/spike)for round bales, and for moving everything from large rocks to mulch and gravel. Also have a 6' heavy duty scrape blade and a 6' box blade (half mile gravel driveway... washboard summer and up to 2' snowdrifts winter). We have major hills and feel better with a 4WD. If I could get away with a smaller tractor, would be thrilled, just don't want the frustration of finding I have less than I need.

52 HP isn't really "that big" to be considered "too big" in my book. Once you get used to a certain size tractor, it's difficult to go smaller. Weight is as critical as raw HP. (especially when moving round bales)

From the sounds of your "chore list" I'd stay with the same size OR even consider BIGGER. I farmed for 35 years. After the 3rd year, I never went smaller than 60 HP. I keep that tractor around nowdays just because I'm used to having it around.

/ How much tractor do I really need? #4  
schmism said:
if you did get the larger one... what would make you say "man this was a mistake"

Something that might make you regret a bigger tractor is space to work, store, etc. In my case anything much bigger that what I have would be hard to fit into most of the places I use it in, but I only have a couple of acres and it's pretty broken up with fences, buildings, etc.

If you've got the space and the money, get the bigger tractor.

/ How much tractor do I really need? #5  
Hi Joan,
I have to agree with FWJ. You have a pretty significant piece of property and to go much smaller would be a mistake IMHO. I mean really you might get away with a Massey 1540 to do what you need but I would go bigger. I have a 32 HP diesel and only maintain 10 acres and a couple of acres that I cut for a friend that is to wet to hay and I would never go smaller. If I had the money I would go with the Massey 451 or 471. Thats just my opinion. Go get some prices and sit down and compare, and think about what you need to get done with the machine!

Good Luck !:)

/ How much tractor do I really need? #6  
Lots of good advice so far.

I don't know how often you have to bush hog that 40 to 50 acres, but that has got to be a lot of seat time with a 6-foot mower. A bigger mower sure would make that go a lot faster. But, a bigger mower probably means a bigger tractor.

Your present MF-1180 is obviously moving your bales without a problem. But, I'd be concerned about going very much smaller (lighter) and still safely moving bales, especially in hilly areas. You probably can lift them OK with a smaller tractor, but you sure would need a lot of ballast to keep a smaller tractor from tipping if you've got 5 - 6 foot bales on a spear mounted on the loader.

Your MF-1180, especially if it is 4WD, is also probably at the very high end of the maximum horse power rating for the implements you describe. So, with a bigger tractor, you are probably looking at a bigger box blade and a bigger rear blade.

I really don't see how you could go with a much smaller tractor. If it were me, and I were buying new, I'd probably be looking at 55 to 65 hp and new implements. I guess I'd also have to ask if you think you might start doing your own bales at some point. That is going to have some impact on the size tractor you need. I wouldn't even consider a 2WD tractor in this terrain. And I'd look for a very heavy tractor.

I think I'd start haunting all the tractor dealers within about 100 miles -- and there are a lot of them. Most have some pretty honest and knowledgable people who can guide you. It's too bad you've just missed most all the county fairs, as they usually have lots of dealers with demo equipment and plenty of helpful people. I'd also keep my eye on the Valley Trader every week, and the outlying newspapers (Shen. Valley Herald, Warren Sentinel, Winchester Star, etc.). Every once in a while, some pretty good used pieces come up with just a few hundred hours on them.

Lastly -- after I mentioned the big new-looking New Holland in downtown Marshall, I noticed it was gone when I drove by last night.

Good luck, and there will always be plenty of helpful people here to bounce ideas off of.

Knute

/ How much tractor do I really need? #7  
I guess what we should ask is why you think a smaller one would be better? I specifically bought a tractor that could fit in my stall doors. Sure makes loading it with new shavings a lot easier since I have bars on my stall fronts. For that matter I drive it in to load the bucket with manure when I muck. But, I only have 2 horses these days and 2 acres. My small tractor is fine for my mowing and other duties. I also buy my hay rather than grow it and I buy the small rectangular bales. Little tractor can lift and stack those fine.

My suggestion might be if you need a smaller tractor for certain chores, maybe own 2 tractors. The big one can take care of the mowing, etc and the small one can be used for whatever chores you want a small tractor for.

/ How much tractor do I really need? #8  
I have 250 hilly acres, mostly wooded but with a number of fields and roads. I have a 45 hp, 4wd tractor that has handled all the bushhogging (6' and 7' mowers) with no problem through pretty heavy stuff at times (tall fescu, small pines, locusts, plums and persimmons). I have cleared approx 3 acres of planted young pines from 4 to 8" in diameter and used a 6' box blade to do some major land scaping on it. I've removed countless stumps with the FEL and maintain gravel roads.

I do not need a bigger or more powerful tractor in any way....would love one but can't justify it. In fact, a phyiscally larger tractor would become impractical in regarding to maneuvering in small fields and woods roads.

It sounds to me like the biggest issue is your round bales. What size? If it is the 6 or 7 footers, you need more tractor than a 45hp like mine if there is going to be a lot of high lifting of the bales. If it is the smaller 3-4 foot bales then no problem.

Finally, one more thing about _physical_ size. I help my B-I-L with his cows and when the cows are in the lot, he feeds them in troughs and puts hay in the pens. All of his tractors are too large to use in the lot and in and around the barn, so we use mine. So for some things, you can go too big.

/ How much tractor do I really need?
Asking because I want a newer, more reliable tractor and the $$ for the larger HP models are incredible. Guess the MF dealer wasn't leading me astray by suggesting we get the same or even larger tractor.
Thanks for all the great info though!
Joan

/ How much tractor do I really need? #10  
N80 said:
I have 250 hilly acres, mostly wooded but with a number of fields and roads. I have a 45 hp, 4wd tractor that has handled all the bushhogging (6' and 7' mowers) with no problem through pretty heavy stuff at times (tall fescu, small pines, locusts, plums and persimmons). I have cleared approx 3 acres of planted young pines from 4 to 8" in diameter and used a 6' box blade to do some major land scaping on it. I've removed countless stumps with the FEL and maintain gravel roads.

I do not need a bigger or more powerful tractor in any way....would love one but can't justify it. In fact, a phyiscally larger tractor would become impractical in regarding to maneuvering in small fields and woods roads.

It sounds to me like the biggest issue is your round bales. What size? If it is the 6 or 7 footers, you need more tractor than a 45hp like mine if there is going to be a lot of high lifting of the bales. If it is the smaller 3-4 foot bales then no problem.

Finally, one more thing about _physical_ size. I help my B-I-L with his cows and when the cows are in the lot, he feeds them in troughs and puts hay in the pens. All of his tractors are too large to use in the lot and in and around the barn, so we use mine. So for some things, you can go too big.

Higher horsepower doesn't link directly to larger physical size. Lots of todays tractors are built on a "common platform" (chassis) with only the engines output as a difference. Farming for my entire adult life has taught me several lessons. One is, plan for FUTURE expansion, and don't limit yourself by todays needs.