Got stuck last weekend, this pic makes me feel a little better.

/ Got stuck last weekend, this pic makes me feel a little better. #11  
Several years ago I purchased a 60 acre piece from my neighbor. I hopped on the Massey 85 to so a survey and found in the far corner an old well that in the spring has enough water to flow right out of the top. I drove near to look around and the next thing I knew the Massey was up to it's belly in the mud.
I thought If I got a long chain and pulled on it while my son drove it I could get enough traction with the old 8N to get it out. Wrong, now both were stuck in the mud.
I went and got the Oliver cletrac and when the tracks started to spin, I shut it down and took off the chain before I got everything stuck.
I was explaining the stiuation to my neighbor who was a logger. He said if I could wait a couple of days he was about finished with a job and would be bringing his TimberJack home..we were able to winch the two out with his equipment.
The dumb feeling lasts for a long time.

/ Got stuck last weekend, this pic makes me feel a little better. #12  
I wish I had pics of this deal several years ago. A local contractor was building a bridge over our "river", which in a good year might be 2ft deep. They had built a retaining wall to divert water out, and drove some equipment in, like a coupla drag lines and backhoes. They were safely dry inside the retaining wall.

Well, over the weekend, there were a couple of back to back 6 inch rains, swelling the river. The water went over the retaining wall, and only the derricks of the drag lines were showing.

I think some of the crew got down there in time to drive a backhoe or two out, but the rest had to wait for the water to go down. And then the rebuild of course...............

Ron

/ Got stuck last weekend, this pic makes me feel a little better. #13  
wonder how they got that thing out?

/ Got stuck last weekend, this pic makes me feel a little better. #14  
frank_f15 said:

With a bigger thing. ;)

Sometimes you just have to wait until the water receeds and the mud dries out a bit. The original photo looks like a flood situation.
I was flying out of MN one summer and looked down to see a very large MF articulated 4x4 with duals front and rear, way out in a field and sunk to the top of the tires in mud. I asked a local what the heck they do when they get something that big stuck. He said they wait until winter when the mud freezes up a bit and they can break it out. That would be one depressing walk back to the farm house :(

I got my last truck stuck in the mud once. It was a 3/4t 4x4 extra long wheel base job. We creaped it out with a 200hp JD field tractor. Pay back from my Karma bank because I sure have pulled a lot of other people out! Never got any of my tractors so stuck I couldn't get it out myself. See me knock on wood!

/ Got stuck last weekend, this pic makes me feel a little better. #15  
In 1977 I drove my 1977 (yes brand new) topless Jeep CJ 5 around the backside of a dirt dam. The grass was thick and lush and unknown to me covering muck. It sunk to the frame and when I stepped out I went hip deep. My buddy's K 5 Blazer would not budge it hooked to a cable 150' away on hard ground. His 8,000# winch stalled. We called in the big guns. It was a BIG 4 wheel drive Massey Ferguson that had duel tires all the way around. When he started pulling the grass and muck began rolling up in front of the jeep. I yelled WHOA WHOA he thought I was saying GO GO so he opened the throttle. The mud pushed in through the grill and shoved the radiator around the fan blade. Then it piled up and over the hood to the point it broke the windshield over. It took the rest of the day shoveling and washing mud then another repairing the damage. I guess what I am saying is when you get stuck be careful about calling in one of those big MF's cause sometimes BIGGER ain't better.

/ Got stuck last weekend, this pic makes me feel a little better. #16  
frank_f15 said:
Sikorsky Sky Crane?:)
John

/ Got stuck last weekend, this pic makes me feel a little better. #17  
Stubble, I think I know the operator's ID # it is 10T.

ID10T

Pat

/ Got stuck last weekend, this pic makes me feel a little better. #18  
While it aint' a "stuck" story, recently I was sent a picture of the aftermath of an excavator being moved down the interstate.

The hauler appearently didn't know his height and the excavator departed the trailer after embedding itself (several feet) in the "low" overpass.

I can see the Master Card commercial now...
One excavator, 80k
One overpass, 1.5m
moment if impact, priceless

Sorry guys, I can't seem to find the pic.

/ Got stuck last weekend, this pic makes me feel a little better. #19  
When I was in high school we used to hunt on one of the old plantations down in Charleston, SC along the Ashley river. There was a patch of pines that had been cleared and they brought in 3 of the biggest Cat bulldozers I've ever seen to clear the area for pasture. Well, it had been rainy and wet and they got all three of them stuck.

I didn't see it happen but I saw them out there in that swamp and it looked like one got stuck and then the other two got stuck trying to get it out. The one that was fartherest in was buried up to the cab. Nothing but the roll cage and cab roof showing. The next one was buried up to the hood. The third one a little less. They somehow got the third one out but the other two stayed in that muck for over three months until it was dry enough to get them out. There was no way to bring in heavy lifting equipment because this was over six miles from the nearest paved road.

It was a sight to see those enormous machines buried in the mud.

/ Got stuck last weekend, this pic makes me feel a little better. #20  
IslandManMitch said:
In 1977 I drove my 1977 (yes brand new) topless Jeep CJ 5 around the backside of a dirt dam. The grass was thick and lush and unknown to me covering muck. It sunk to the frame and when I stepped out I went hip deep. My buddy's K 5 Blazer would not budge it hooked to a cable 150' away on hard ground. His 8,000# winch stalled. We called in the big guns. It was a BIG 4 wheel drive Massey Ferguson that had duel tires all the way around. When he started pulling the grass and muck began rolling up in front of the jeep. I yelled WHOA WHOA he thought I was saying GO GO so he opened the throttle. The mud pushed in through the grill and shoved the radiator around the fan blade. Then it piled up and over the hood to the point it broke the windshield over. It took the rest of the day shoveling and washing mud then another repairing the damage. I guess what I am saying is when you get stuck be careful about calling in one of those big MF's cause sometimes BIGGER ain't better.

Mornon Mitch,
Excellent story :) I bought a brand new CJ-5 in 1978 and did get it stuck on occassion but never nothing like you encountered :) Thanks for sharing that story!

And N80, another good story, I cant even imagine walking away from two huge machines like that and come back a couple months later to dig them out !!! Im sure your just like me in that you wouldnt be able to sleep until you got your tractor back home in the barn again :)