Is $300 to much for mowing 20 acres?

/ Is $300 to much for mowing 20 acres? #1  

scesnick

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
My buddy knows a guy who has a field that is between 20-22 acres. He asked me if I wanted to mow it last year. I did mow it and when the guy asked how much I told him $250. He got all bent out and asked if I was going to bail it also. So, I said o.k., $200. He reluctantly paid me the $200.

Now, this year he called me and asked if I wanted to mow it again , I told him that since the price of diesel has went up so much I would have to get atleast $300 to mow it this year. He said no way.

It took me 2 full days to mow this field and about 20 gallons of fuel. It is on the side of a pretty good hill also. That is less than $15 an acre not to mention trailering my equipment up to his place and the wear and tear. Now, If he was not " Well Off " I would have probably just done for what he could pay me ( I have done that before for people) But this guy has 3 Cadillacs, Giant house and a big ol' John Deere. I guess he is just too lazy to mow it his self.
Am I being unreasonable or is he just one of those guys that wants something for nothing ? What would you guys charge to brush hog this field?

/ Is $300 to much for mowing 20 acres? #2  
I wouldn't mow it at all. Let him find someone else this year who will do it for less than you asked. I'll bet he can't. The $300 you're willing to do it for seems to be too little for 2 days work, 20 gals of fuel and transport to and from the job. Any small breakdown and you're running a deficit.

/ Is $300 to much for mowing 20 acres? #3  
I guess I'm getting synical in my old(er) age.

I don't need to work for minimum wage and/or not make enough to afford my equipment.

FINE, if the guy can find someone cheaper to mow it, good for him!

If people question me on my bids, which they seldom do, I simply say "I've bought this equipment, and I'm trying to pay for it, and make a reasonable return in my business. The bid I gave you is fair, but it is your decision if you want my services or not. If not, no harm, no foul. If you do, I'll do a great job for you for the price I quoted."

I don't need more seat time working for someone else and NOT makin' any money for the effort.

Just my style..............

Ron

/ Is $300 to much for mowing 20 acres? #4  
Thats cheap, I wouldnt do it for $600.

/ Is $300 to much for mowing 20 acres? #5  
Yeah you were way too cheap. No one else will mow it that cheap.

/ Is $300 to much for mowing 20 acres? #6  
scesnick said:
My buddy knows a guy who has a field that is between 20-22 acres. He asked me if I wanted to mow it last year. I did mow it and when the guy asked how much I told him $250. He got all bent out and asked if I was going to bail it also. So, I said o.k., $200. He reluctantly paid me the $200.

Now, this year he called me and asked if I wanted to mow it again , I told him that since the price of diesel has went up so much I would have to get atleast $300 to mow it this year. He said no way.

It took me 2 full days to mow this field and about 20 gallons of fuel. It is on the side of a pretty good hill also. That is less than $15 an acre not to mention trailering my equipment up to his place and the wear and tear. Now, If he was not " Well Off " I would have probably just done for what he could pay me ( I have done that before for people) But this guy has 3 Cadillacs, Giant house and a big ol' John Deere. I guess he is just too lazy to mow it his self.
Am I being unreasonable or is he just one of those guys that wants something for nothing ? What would you guys charge to brush hog this field?

I get $45 an hour to bush-hog with my L3430, regardless if they drive Cadillacs or Kia's. I have no problem getting mowing jobs. That's why he has what he has, he doesn't want to pay his hired help the going rate. Let him buy a mower for the JD.

Bill

/ Is $300 to much for mowing 20 acres? #7  
NO

He said no way. (This was good for you!)

It took me 2 full days to mow this field and about 20 gallons of fuel.
(20 gallons X $2.50 + $50.00 That is less than $10 an hour, not to mention wear and tear on tractor, truck and trailer, fuel for truck.)
I guess he is just too lazy to mow it his self. (So he needs to pay someone a fair price!)
What would you guys charge to brush hog this field? (Unless it is monthly, not less than $600 and more than likely more.)

/ Is $300 to much for mowing 20 acres? #8  
I wouldn't even consider $300 for that many acres. Maybe at $750. A friend of mine just paid someone $400 to mow his flat 2.5 acres behind his house. No rocks, few small trees. The past two years I let him use my tractor and mower for free. He lives 1 mile away and drives my tractor to his property. I think he feels a little guilty for letting him use it for nothing. This year a neighbor next door was having his mowed and he told the guy doing the mowing to also mow his property without asking the price. I think he will be back next year to borrow mine.

/ Is $300 to much for mowing 20 acres? #9  
Yeah, that sounds way too cheap to me also.

/ Is $300 to much for mowing 20 acres? #10  
I mow 2 one acre lots for a couple of my neighbors. Being friendly I told them $30 each and they jumped on it. The previous person was charging $70 per lot. Obviously I'm not getting rich, but I figure 1hr and 1 gal fuel per acre( I've only got a 4ft brush hog) so I felt it was a fair deal for all of us.