Grading Brush hog blade sharpening

/ Brush hog blade sharpening #1  

DCS

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4310
It's time to sharpen the blades on the KK brush hog however, I have noticed there is a tack weld on the nut and bolt that is holding the blade on. Is this normal?

/ Brush hog blade sharpening #2  
DCS said:
It's time to sharpen the blades on the KK brush hog however, I have noticed there is a tack weld on the nut and bolt that is holding the blade on. Is this normal?

I wouldn't think so. But you needn't remove the blades to grind them. Most folks just block the mower up off the ground, making sure it's SAFE to work with your arms under it, then grind the edges of the blades with a 4-1/2" grinder.

/ Brush hog blade sharpening
Farmwithjunk said:
I wouldn't think so. But you needn't remove the blades to grind them. Most folks just block the mower up off the ground, making sure it's SAFE to work with your arms under it, then grind the edges of the blades with a 4-1/2" grinder.

I thought about that, but it didn't look like there was enough room. I'll take another gander at it. Thanks.

/ Brush hog blade sharpening #4  
DCS said:
I thought about that, but it didn't look like there was enough room. I'll take another gander at it. Thanks.
Using a couple of chains, use your FEL to lift it on it's side. You will have plenty of room! Just make sure it is set so if the chains or the FEL fails it will fall away from you.

Gary

/ Brush hog blade sharpening #5  
What Gary said.
rc3x.jpg

Attachments

• rc3.jpg
    rc3.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 369
   / Brush hog blade sharpening #7  
Farmwithjunk said:

Do the same with mine, never leaves the tractor.
Raise it all the way up, use jack stands for safety, done in five minutes, hardest part is locating my grinder. as far as the tack weld, it should not be a problem if you really want to take the blades off.
Buck

/ Brush hog blade sharpening #8  
Mornin DCS,
Your gonna need a angle grinder to do either of those jobs :)
Either sharpen the blades or grind the tack weld off to put new blades on, you cant lose with one tool :)

/ Brush hog blade sharpening #9  
I recently purchased a Howse model 500 RC/ 5 foot and when I sharpen my blades, I will balance them smooth is a good thing.
Jim

/ Brush hog blade sharpening #10  
DCS, you probably know this but since no one has mentioned it I will. But when we talking about 'sharpening' rotary cutter blades, you don't really grind them to a sharp edge. I just take the nicks and dings out and leave a smooth rounded cutting edge.