Harming BX 2200 by constant 4WD?

/ Harming BX 2200 by constant 4WD? #1  

carver4591

Tractor
Kubota BX 2200
HI all, I leave my tractor in four wheel drive all the time, am I wearing it out prematuraly? Thanks........Brad

/ Harming BX 2200 by constant 4WD? #2  
Go to page 2 of Owning & Operating, scroll down to "4X4 Question". There are 25 pages you can read about what you want to know about 4 wheel drive. Somewhere in that 25 pages is your answer. Enjoy!

/ Harming BX 2200 by constant 4WD? #3  
I don't use 4WD unless I need it on my BX. It causes unnecessary wear on drive parts at a minimum. The manual specifically says not to use 4WD on hard surfaces. My guess is the front turns a little faster than the rear as some trucks used to do (maybe they still do).

Turning, I can tell if I'm in 4WD or 2. 4WD tears up the lawn more. When I turn on concrete in 4WD, I can feel it hop like my 4WD truck does.

Now, for practical purposes, maybe that means your BX drive train wears out in 15 years instead of 25, I don't know. I'm sure Kubota tests their drive trains by driving them in 4WD on pavement till they fail. Doubt that you and I can ever learn the results of those tests though.

It's your machine and you can use it as you wish. But I'd be upset if you used mine in 4WD all the time.

Ron

/ Harming BX 2200 by constant 4WD? #4  
Sounds as though the BX2200 is like the small JDs. Just take out of 4wd when you're going very far on pavement. Otherwise, leave it in 4wd for safety and traction. In 4wd, you have 4 wheel brakes. Without, you've only 2 wheel braking, more likely to skid the rear tires, especially when going downhill.

Ralph

/ Harming BX 2200 by constant 4WD? #5  
carver4591 said:
HI all, I leave my tractor in four wheel drive all the time, am I wearing it out prematuraly? Thanks........Brad

Yes, No, Maybe, Sometimes, depends on soil, pavement, sun spots, comets passing over, moon phase, wifes phase, what kind of dog you have. I'm so confused and I don't even have a 4wd tractor, just trucks and ATV's. Please follow the link above and shoot me soon after!!! ;) :) :)

/ Harming BX 2200 by constant 4WD? #6  
carver4591 said:
I have a BX 1500. I use the 4WD according to conditions, not because of wear but because it will turn a little tighter in 2wd - - for mowing, etc. Be sure to watch for fluid leaks at the front. Mine leaks a bit, so is often low. Not a big deal if the parts are just turning idly, but yours is under constant load.
Larry

/ Harming BX 2200 by constant 4WD? #7  
dirtworkscheap is right. That thread will cover every possible opinion! The manual for the Kubota B2150 that I used to have said to only have it in 4WD when extra traction was needed, otherwise keep it in 2WD.

/ Harming BX 2200 by constant 4WD? #8  
Well, I'd say I rarely use 4wd. The thing is, if you go into a mess in 2wd and get stuck, you can use 4wd to get out. If you go in with 4wd, and get stuck, you are up the creek.

I know some use 4wd when doing FEL work. I don't but that is because when I use 2wd, I will usually lose traction before I break something on the tractor when I get hung up working with compact hard clay. In 4wd, that tractor seems to want to tear itself up like someone crushing a beer can with their head.

One great use for 4wd is when discing. I did some today. We have deep white sandy soil and we have been in a drought for the past few years so it is all loose. When I drop the discs in 2wd, you can feel the rears start slipping a lot. If you engage 4wd, there might be a little slip but you chug right along.

So, in short, use your own best judgement. I know in 90% of my operating this 90hp tractor, I never have to use 4x4. It may be different for different people/tractors/conditions.