Save age for kids to start driving tractor?

/ Save age for kids to start driving tractor? #1  

Mosey

Veteran Member
Tractor
2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.
I don't remember what age I started driving a tractor, but I remember it was on a 1940 Farmall A and a 1950 John Deere B (hand clutch). We still have both of them on the farm where I grew up (where my brother still lives). My twins (boy and girl) are 10 now. They have both been on the Craftsman lawn tractor, both mowing grass and pulling the lawn sweeper. They do OK, but have trouble sometimes keeping a straight line, etc. The storage shed had been hit once, but minor damage to the shed and no damage to the Craftsman mower.

I'm wondering if it would be safe for them to drive the TC29D? I'm thinking about starting them out on the levelig project (see Not sure how to level a large area), since this is pretty much in an open area and not precision work, just driving in all directions while pulling the grader blade to level the ground.

Opinions?

/ Save age for kids to start driving tractor? #2  
I don't really know if age is how to make that call. I know I started very young but that was a working farm in the fields. I think you have to make a judgment on the character and maturity of your children. These are not big toys as much as us alleged adults like to think they are. In the mind of a child they look like big toys and children can be blind to the danger that they can be.

/ Save age for kids to start driving tractor? #3  
I agree with timber.

It's got to be a case by case basis. I'd almost lean to whatever guidlines are used fro kids to ride gokarts and atv's

Local terain and specific equipment will also be variables. The operator must be able to safely reach all controls at all times.. And soda cans taped to the pedals don't count.

Soundguy

/ Save age for kids to start driving tractor? #4  
I agree with the others that it is more a maturity and understanding thing then a strictly age thing.

My 10 year old son is now regularly operating the NH 1925 (similar to yours)

He moves the mulch and woodchips around the yard as needed.

When it was time to pull some logs on a hillside I got him off and got on myself.

He is not comfortable running the bobcat, nor does he like loading the trailers because he knows I will be upset if he hit's one, and at this point, he would never load a customers vehicle.

Not sure I would let him on the tractor if it was gear, with the Hydro, if things go wrong, most times he can just let off the pedal and everything stops.

One other twist that I found is that we are now taking a sign language class together. With him on Babe (the little blue Ox NH1925) and me on Bob (Bobcat 610) talking to each other is pretty pointless. A freind of our was teaching a sign language class in church so now the whole family is going. It is a neat thing for me to do the class with my wife and kids.

Good luck, sounds like you have the right project for them to work with.

/ Save age for kids to start driving tractor? #6  
As a Scout leader, with various aged kids active, many of whom I have seen grow from Cubs to various ranks as Scouts, I think it really depends on the kid. In this case, I have some expierience with my kid driving too. He is 12; he has driven the Kubota for a couple of years. It depends on thier individual maturity and skill levels. I see some who are already taking leadership roles at a young age, while other's dont develop that until later.

In my sons case, he is great with the tractor. I only let him use the loader and scraper though, mostly for moving light materials. And, he is always supervised. We go over operations and safety still; before it was every time he used the tractor; now it is every couple of times. I also hold him in low or mid range on the HST; no high speed.

He does not though, drive the Farmall. That's partly because it is hand crank start. And, I have the seat set back a ways too.

It is really a judgement call, one where it is best to be overly cautious to boot.

/ Save age for kids to start driving tractor?
I just noticed I made a typo on the title of this post, I meant to say "Safe". Is there any way to fix that?

/ Save age for kids to start driving tractor? #8  
No need to.. i think everyone is picking up the meaning at least thru context... or they didn't notice the error in the first place... Thankfully there are only a few @n@l retentive people here that employ red herring argument techniques and pick a simple spelling or grammar mistake apart as opposed to adding something usefull to the conversation.... Concerning those few.. i think they missed a good calling being a politician... As they would rather dwell on minutia, vs real issues..

Soundguy

/ Save age for kids to start driving tractor? #9  
Soundguy said:
No need to.. i think everyone is picking up the meaning at least thru context... or they didn't notice the error in the first place... Thankfully there are only a few @n@l retentive people here that employ red herring argument techniques and pick a simple spelling or grammar mistake apart as opposed to adding something usefull to the conversation.... Concerning those few.. i think they missed a good calling being a politician... As they would rather dwell on minutia, vs real issues..

Soundguy

I always tell people "This is the internet-----NOT a term paper"

Mistakes are OK. They may be even better than OK. It just proves we're human.

/ Save age for kids to start driving tractor? #10  
Farmwithjunk said:
Mistakes are OK. They may be even better than OK. It just proves we're human.

You used the plural sense to denote 'mistakes' and then used the plural pronoun 'they' and yet you then used the singular form 'it' which does not agree with the plural forms with which you began your statement. Also, in formal circles 'OK' should be spelled o_k_a_y. ;)

Seriously though, I think that everyone is right about it depending more on the individual kid more than an arbitrary age. However, I also think a lot depends on the task. I let my 15 year old son drive the tractor around, carry stuff in the loader and bush hog the open, level fields. I do not yet let him mow on the slopes or hilly, curvy woods roads, etc. It is not a matter of trust but one of experience. He will gain that experience but it will be over time and under controlled circumstances.