Listening to music (etc...) on the tractor??

/ Listening to music (etc...) on the tractor?? #1  

Royboy

Hi all-
I have a pair of "Worktunes" headphones that allow me to listen to AM or FM radio while on my tractor, but I want to listen to other things. In order to listen to a book on CD or MP3 music I have been putting those little 'earbuds' under my worktunes headset (not turned on) to block out enough noise to allow me to listen while working but the combination of the two is uncomfortable to me. What I would like to find is a pair of ear protection headphones that simply plug into a cd player or mp3 player like a regular pair designed for indoor use, but the the needed ear protection for working on the tractor for hours. I have done searches on the internet, Amazon, etc... and all I can find are regular indoor sets (which do not block out enough tractor noise) or pain old hearing protection headsets that do not have earphones intgrated into them to plug in to something.
In the hopes that I have described what I am looking for in a way that makes sense...
Has anyone run across a pair of such headphones?
Thanks very much!
Roy

/ Listening to music (etc...) on the tractor?? #2  
At my age, listening to anything but the tractor is a distraction to me and possibly dangerous. I wear ear phones that cut the noise down a lot to protect my bionic right ear, but, for me, listening to anything over the phones would be unsafe.

I can drive a car while listening to the radio, but not the tractor.

Ralph

/ Listening to music (etc...) on the tractor?? #3  
   / Listening to music (etc...) on the tractor?? #5  
I went to WalMart and bought a pair of $10 headphones (not the earbud type, but the kind that "sit" on your ears), then went to the hunting section and bought a $15 pair of hearing protectors (Silencio folding type, black). I snapped the earpiece off the headphones and wedged it into the foam in the ear cup of the hearing protectors on each side. I can listen to my MP3 player with the volume turned way down (very nice to not have to blare the music to hear it). I've been real happy with this setup all summer.

/ Listening to music (etc...) on the tractor?? #6  
you can get an FM transmitter for your iPod and still use the worktunes--advantage is no wires to deal with. The griffin iTrip is usually about 20 bucks.

/ Listening to music (etc...) on the tractor?? #7  
Go to a store selling headphones ( cans ) designed for pro audio applications.. often called studio or 'reference' muffs. ( very rarely radio shack will have them.. since they carry a small line of pro audio gear ).

Those bigg muffs are designed to hold back the blasting music of a band and allow the sound engineer to solo channels on the mixing console and hear what is going on. Many times the ambient volume is about 95 DB at the mix position, and with good muffs, you can hear a low volume instrument in the headphones. Now.. just get one with the 1/8 plug or adapt it to 1/8 and you are ready to go. That's what i do / did. i bought 2 sets of studio muffs on my last shopping spree. One set goes tot he gig with me.. the other on my tractor with either my arm band radio for the tractors with no radio.. or the fender mounted radio for the big tractor..

soundguy
Royboy said:
Hi all-
I have a pair of "Worktunes" headphones that allow me to listen to AM or FM radio while on my tractor, but I want to listen to other things. In order to listen to a book on CD or MP3 music I have been putting those little 'earbuds' under my worktunes headset (not turned on) to block out enough noise to allow me to listen while working but the combination of the two is uncomfortable to me. What I would like to find is a pair of ear protection headphones that simply plug into a cd player or mp3 player like a regular pair designed for indoor use, but the the needed ear protection for working on the tractor for hours. I have done searches on the internet, Amazon, etc... and all I can find are regular indoor sets (which do not block out enough tractor noise) or pain old hearing protection headsets that do not have earphones intgrated into them to plug in to something.
In the hopes that I have described what I am looking for in a way that makes sense...
Has anyone run across a pair of such headphones?
Thanks very much!
Roy

/ Listening to music (etc...) on the tractor?? #8  
I like to listen to the motor.

/ Listening to music (etc...) on the tractor?? #9  
Since I fly a lot, I have a couple pair of the Bose Quiet Comfort 2 headphones as someone mentioned earlier. My tractor is a cab model and I just use the XM and MP3 player in there, but when mowing on my ZTR mowers, I always use the Bose QC2's as does my wife. They work great for that and I've not had any issues with them in the last couple of years of weekly use outside. I did buy one of the new Bose Quiet Comfort 3 headsets. One word; mistake. Bose went backwards with their new model. First, they do NOT cover your ear and do a crappy job of blocking ambient noise. Worse yet, they have an internal rechargable battery that dies at the worst times and does not last as long as the single AAA battery in the 'old' QC2 headsets. Although they will cost you about $250, the Bose QC2 are the way to go. Nobody here uses the old YardPhones that hang on the wall in my barn or any of the other cheapy similar setups. The active noise cancellation on the Bose QC2 really does work at killing the drone of the tractor engine.

/ Listening to music (etc...) on the tractor?? #10  
Soundguy said:
( very rarely radio shack will have them.. since they carry a small line of pro audio gear )..

soundguy

Glad you didn't recomend Radio Shack-------

Beat me about the head with a board full of rusty nails before you send me to another Radio Shack.:(

All the Radio Shack locations around here must be the model for our local Home Depot stores and our neighborhood TSC. No help, total confusion, and always a hassle over the simplest things.

I recall the day when they were "the place" to go for electronic needs.