1 of my other tractors

/ 1 of my other tractors #11  
RobertN said:
I found one that drives me bonkers. Our fire station has a GMC Topkick with a Detroit 8V and a 10spd Road Ranger, carrying 2800 gallons of water plus fire equipment. Most of the time, that thing drives me nuts. Just something about the Detroit and that 10 spd. I'll get through a few gears, and lose it. Can't catch a gear for the life of me.

I drove an old buddies Freightliner 10 wheel dump with the same tranny mated to a Cummins. Did just fine. Got back on that water tender, and missed gears, had to stop and start from 1st.

I'll sound like some weird, guru, spiritual twirp here. It's all about being one with the vehicle. Completely understanding the relationship with rpms, ground speed and desired result. When you are in neutral and lost, your salvage is in your right foot and an understanding of what I just said. Make a decision about what gear you desire to be in and adjust the rpms accordingly as you gently apply pressure to the shift lever and it will slide right in there. When you see those guys smoothly going thru shift changes while consistantly gaining speed they are "one with the vehicle". As I said earlier, it's a beautiful site.

When you see a "cowboy" jamming gears and jerking the throttle causing the truck to lunge, belch smoke, make noise and generally hop along it's sinful and there should be a law!!!! When you look around to see a truck making all kinds of noise and doing that, you are not witnessing a truck driver, you are witnessing a cowboy!!!

/ 1 of my other tractors #12  
Timber I had to laugh after seeing your picture of your big-rig backed up to the house.

With our Internet business we get semi's in and out of here all the time. Most guys have sense enough to back in our 650' drive so they can be easily off-loaded before they are back on their way.

Then a few tell me they can't back their big-rigs into a 15' wide drive, it just can't be done.

Then there's the type that came in yesterday to deliver a load of bubble wrap. He pulled straight in and after he was unloaded asked me how he was going to get back out...... I offered to drive the big-rig for him, but he just wasn't having any of that. I just looked out the window and he's not here this morning so he must have finally figured where reverse gear was. :rolleyes:

I guess the best of trucks is only as good as the driver behind the wheel, and that's especially true when it comes to big rigs.

/ 1 of my other tractors #13  
ovrszd said:
I'll sound like some weird, guru, spiritual twirp here. It's all about being one with the vehicle.

Oh, 100% in agreement. I just have a hard time tuning in to this particular rig. When working closely with a vehicle, you get an idea for the sound, the speed, the motion, the vibrations, ect.

In this case, the tender goes out infrequently. while the engine may go out 12 times a day, the tender might go out once every week or two. When it is needed though, they really need it.

ovrszd said:
When you see a "cowboy" jamming gears and jerking the throttle causing the truck to lunge, belch smoke, make noise and generally hop along it's sinful and there should be a law!!!! When you look around to see a truck making all kinds of noise and doing that, you are not witnessing a truck driver, you are witnessing a cowboy!!!

Yup. It is cool listening to someone rowing through the gears on a big rig when they know what they are doing. Some of our guys are extremely smooth with this water tender. Feels smoother than an automatic. Just not me yet :D

/ 1 of my other tractors #14  
RobertN said:
Oh, 100% in agreement. I just have a hard time tuning in to this particular rig. When working closely with a vehicle, you get an idea for the sound, the speed, the motion, the vibrations, ect.

In this case, the tender goes out infrequently. while the engine may go out 12 times a day, the tender might go out once every week or two. When it is needed though, they really need it.

Yup. It is cool listening to someone rowing through the gears on a big rig when they know what they are doing. Some of our guys are extremely smooth with this water tender. Feels smoother than an automatic. Just not me yet :D

Been there!!! And doesn't that just get to ya!!! Makes you want to volunteer to drive it every chance you get to conquer it. At the same time, don't wanna do it when anyone's watching!!!! Thats how I was trying to learn to drive the old mechanic 5x4 trannies. These were a 5spd synchro main box and a 4spd non synchro aux box. To best make the split shifts you used your left hand on the main box lever and your right hand on the aux box lever. But once you got it figured out, it was smooth as glass. Enabled a little Chevy 427 V8 gasser to move some huge loads!!! Stick with it, you'll get it!!! :)

/ 1 of my other tractors #15  
You guys are killing me here, making me miss the "old days" Monday was the 4 yr anniversary of the 1 1/2 hr extrication from my Freightliner. Been permanently retierd from trucking ever since... that's ok though... this desk and office is better for the family and my body. I still get to move some around from time to time and have had to offer to park rigs in my docks for knuckleheads who tried to tell me something couldn't be done. I used to pull and oilfield tanker so I have backed in and out of LOTS of hairy places. I was one of only a couple of drivers who were allowed to haul some leases because they were tricky. He knew I would not get stuck or lay the truck over. That truck was my baby though. Interior was spotless and organized.. I could get that truck to 60 **** fast with those 4:10's and Jaking between gears. That Jake was one of the reasons that my horses are spook proof... they listened to that Jake rumble every night when I came home. I actually miss the stress and pressure of doing things and going places other drivers told me I couldn't. There is no phrase I hate more than "I can't." We don't even allow our daughter to say that. ok ok I'll shut up... you all know I miss my truck by now...

/ 1 of my other tractors
I'm with there; I have been off the road now for almost a year since I came inside. I didn't want too but heading up this division wasn't my choice. I landed hear by default since that last guy just up and left. It was bigger than me though because there was more than me that needed the job so I stepped up to the plate because it was the right thing to do. I do miss the road and the customers. I would have never applied for this position but I don't think I could leave it now unless I left the company. I do take the power units home though and take a run out now and then when some one is out

/ 1 of my other tractors #17  
rback33 said:
. I could get that truck to 60 **** fast with those 4:10's and Jaking between gears. That Jake was one of the reasons that my horses are spook proof... they listened to that Jake rumble every night when I came home. ...

As a non truck driver, could you explain what "jaking" is? There is a sign I drive by on the highway all the time that says "No Jaking". I always thought it was a misspelling.:eek:

/ 1 of my other tractors #18  
IslandTractor said:
As a non truck driver, could you explain what "jaking" is? There is a sign I drive by on the highway all the time that says "No Jaking". I always thought it was a misspelling.:eek:

"Jake Break".... uses engine compression from the exhaust to slow the vehicle.. more correct term is an "engine break" or "Exhaust break" I have know people to avoid tickets for using them because it was not a "Jake Break" which I believe refers to a specific design. It's a wonderful sound to me.

/ 1 of my other tractors #19  
IslandTractor said:

On another note.. (stereotyping on purpose here and not trying to offend anyone :D )

I have a great use here on TBN now... as a translator... since I am a permanently retired truck driver that has a BS in Biology that was heavily focused on A & P and Chem (incomplete minor.) The fact that I work for a loader manufacturer is a secondary usefulness. l:D

sorry... had to have a LITTLE fun

*peeking back to the tetanus thread*

/ 1 of my other tractors #20  
rback33 said:
On another note.. (stereotyping on purpose here and not trying to offend anyone :D )

I have a great use here on TBN now... as a translator... since I am a permanently retired truck driver that has a BS in Biology that was heavily focused on A & P and Chem (incomplete minor.) The fact that I work for a loader manufacturer is a secondary usefulness. l:D

sorry... had to have a LITTLE fun

*peeking back to the tetanus thread*

Hey, I need all the translation I can get. I've missed out on a lot of practical mechanical things over the years and am trying to catch up before it's too late.:D That is one of the great things about this site, everyone can contribute and everyone can benefit.:cool: