Stuck in the mud

/ Stuck in the mud #1  

MadReferee

Elite Member, Rest in Peace
Tractor
Kubota B2710, IH TD6-62 dozer with Drott 4n1 bucket loader
This afternoon my son got the Kubota stuck in some mud.

A few days ago I had cleared an access from my driveway to my back clearing project and the dozer caused a few ruts about 2 feet deep. The ground is naturally soft with a high water table. My son took the Kubota over to get some wood I had cut and didn't realize just how soft and slimey the ground was, especially since we had a good hard rain just 2 nights before.

Well, he got stuck good and the front tire was just about burried. And as he tried to get out he just made it worse as the R4's fron and rear just filled with slime and became slicks. I ended up using the dozer to pull him out, which was a chore in itself since a big tree and my CoverIt shelter were in the way.

The pictures aren't all that great but here they are.

Attachments

• stuck tractor.jpg
    stuck tractor.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 2,491
  • stuck tractor 1.jpg
    stuck tractor 1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 3,207
  • stuck tractor 2.jpg
    stuck tractor 2.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 2,260
   / Stuck in the mud
Here are some pictures of me using the dozer to get him unstuck.

Attachments

• dozer ready to pull.jpg
    dozer ready to pull.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,304
  • dozer and tractor.jpg
    dozer and tractor.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,458
  • tractor out.jpg
    tractor out.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,111
   / Stuck in the mud
And now the mud hole.

Attachments

• mud hole aftermath.jpg
    mud hole aftermath.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 1,280
  • mud hole aftermath 1.jpg
    mud hole aftermath 1.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 924
   / Stuck in the mud #5  
That looks familiar, I have a catch dam for the dirt to settle in from the terraces. After it dries out some, it never dries out except on top. Once you drive on it a while or start digging it out its not uncommon to have the front end sink to the axle. I've always been able to use the bucket to lift the front so the rears can pull it out and/or the bucket curl trick to get out. The tires don't look slicked over. Once the fronts and backs sink it gets harder.

/ Stuck in the mud #6  
Mud vs. Tractor....I put my money on the mud every time. Especially a 4wd cut or scut, those I go double.

Nice pics!

/ Stuck in the mud
ttowne66 said:
Mad

Looks like there was no effort to use the FEL. I believe that would have got this out.
Wouldn't have helped. The mud was almost 2 ft deep and the ground under the mud was soft too. That area is always soft no matter what time of the year. He also didn't want to dump the load of logs into the mud :rolleyes: :D . He actually fought it for a bit before he came to the conclusion that he was just getting stuck even worse. The dozer and a 1/2" tow chain made short work of the job. It's always nice to have your own heavy duty recovery equipment.;)

/ Stuck in the mud
CTyler said:
The tires don't look slicked over. Once the fronts and backs sink it gets harder.
That front tire doesn't look it in the picture but it was stuck. The mud was thick and heavy and it was preventing the axle from moving. Both rears were on relatively solid but slimey ground. The R4's were just spinning. I could get it to go a bit forward but not backward. Going forward just made the front dig in deeper.

/ Stuck in the mud #9  
I think a lttle rear end weight and it would have walked right out. You just wanted a reason to use the dozer. Then you tell everyone what a tough day you had with a big smile on your face. Two toys in 1 day,,,, " PRICELESS"

/ Stuck in the mud #10  
ttowne66 said:
Mad

Looks like there was no effort to use the FEL. I believe that would have got this out.

I agree,I have had my tractor in a lot deeper holes than that and used my loader/bucket to push my self backwards or pull myself forward.
What really is a pain is to get one buried axle deep and have the back blade on,it aint easy getting a blade off when you are in mud knee deep.