Oil & Fuel Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged

/ Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged #1  

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
Okay, with the cold weather coming, I am going to drain out my Rotella 15-40 DINO oil (100 hours of run time) and replace it with Rotella SYN 0-40W. 2 gallons required. Since my New Holland TN70 owners manual states I need to change oil and filter every 300 hours, I am going to leave the filter untouched since I have less than 300 hours on it. New oil and old filter (100 hours on filter).

Am I making a mistake???
Bob

/ Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged #2  
Theoretically, the filter is where all the dirt & "stuff" is trapped. Why contaminate new oil with old junk? Is the filter that expensive?

/ Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged #3  
I'd go by the color of the oil. If dark change filter, otherwise leave it.
You will probably change back in Spring before 300 hours is up anyway.

/ Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged #4  
Doc...big mistake IMO. Especially if you're switching to synthetic. The filter is where the bad stuff gets lodged so you really want to be changing that filter even though the manual states it's premature. With the amount you have invested in the tractor and the fact that you're willing to spend the extra $$ on synthetic, I think it would be in your best interest to start with a new filter.

Jon

/ Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged #6  
Change the filter.

/ Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged #7  
Doc_Bob said:
Am I making a mistake???

100 hours is a lot, regardless of what the manual says. Running oil for 300 hours is outrageous. If you were changing oil every 50 hours, maybe I'd say to change the filter every other time, but at 100, I'd definately do both.

Jay

/ Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged #9  
I agree with the majority sentiment.. Why add high dollar$$ oil, and leave an old used filter.. How much is it? 15$? Why gamble your tractor's engine on 15$.

FWIW.. I do 100hr or better changes on my working tractor.. even though the book says I can go more... Same with air filters..

Soundguy

/ Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged #10  
Change the filter

mark