Oil & Fuel Old diesel fuel/ proper diesel

/ Old diesel fuel/ proper diesel #1  

tb1472000

Tractor
JD2520
Does old diesel fuel cause the same problems as old gasoline does in lawnmower engines?

It gets cold here in the winter. I understand the diesel fuel stations have the proper additives already in when it starts getting cold. How do I know whether the fuel I buy in September will work in December?

Is there an instructional site about diesel fuel that will bring me up to speed on these issues?

Thanks,
Bruce

/ Old diesel fuel/ proper diesel #2  
It depends on how old the fuel is most summer fuel is cut 20-25% for winter useage some suppliers also add a anti-gel to the fuel If the fuel is to old it will have a growth in it and then you will need to add a product to kill the growth in it.

/ Old diesel fuel/ proper diesel #4  
I bought a 5 gallon diesel can in july and I recently noticed transparent black streaks in the can, is this bacteria growth? What anti-growth product is best?:confused:

B3030, 403 Loader, 72"MMM, 60"Landpride BB, 6 ft. RB

/ Old diesel fuel/ proper diesel #5  
tb1472000 said:
Does old diesel fuel cause the same problems as old gasoline does in lawnmower engines?

It gets cold here in the winter. I understand the diesel fuel stations have the proper additives already in when it starts getting cold. How do I know whether the fuel I buy in September will work in December?

Is there an instructional site about diesel fuel that will bring me up to speed on these issues?
If you are worried about fuel gelling (that's what happens when it gets too cold) then add some Power Service to your existing fuel. Most people add PS no matter what the time of the year it is.

A good diesel fuel website is Chevron Diesel.

/ Old diesel fuel/ proper diesel
I've not (hopefully) updated my profile. Here is in Indianapolis Indiana.

/ Old diesel fuel/ proper diesel #7  
Dirthog said:
It depends on how old the fuel is most summer fuel is cut 20-25% for winter useage
The ULSD (which is all you can legally buy now for on-road fuel) is NOT cut with kerosene unless they somehow have ULS kerosene. Winter refined ULSD is already being produced by the refineries and should be in the pipeline system by now.

/ Old diesel fuel/ proper diesel #8  
To my knowledge, there is not ULSK being produced in the Northern Hemisphere.

But ULSD is all over, the deadline was October 15, 2006. :D

/ Old diesel fuel/ proper diesel #9  
The deadline for ULSD is Jan 1, 2007. It was Oct 15, 2006 for California.

Black streaks in your fuel can, yup, it's bacteria. Pick up a bottle of Power Service Anti-Bacteria additive. I add it to all my diesel fuel and home heating oil.

If you got your diesel fuel in the summer it is probaly not winterized. Just pick up a bottle of pour point depressant to add to your fuel and it will be winterized. Pour point depressants prevent the wax in diesel fuel from separating and crystallizing which is what causes it to plug up your fuel system in the winter. With the new ULSD fuel spec they will no longer be able to cut the diesel fuel with Kerosene unless they start making ULSK which I don't see happening any time soon. Just another reason ULSD is going to cost more. It will take more additives to treat fuel than it did before.

/ Old diesel fuel/ proper diesel #10  
DieselPower said:
The deadline for ULSD is Jan 1, 2007. It was Oct 15, 2006 for California.
I don't think so. According to the information posted by Chevron and the Clean Diesel Fuel Alliance regarding on-road ULSD switchover:
  • Refineries must have 80% of their volume ULSD by June 1, 2006
  • Bulk distribution facilities that carry ULSD must be switched over by September 1, 2006
  • Retail facilities that carry ULSD must have switched by October 15, 2006
  • The California dates for the above were June 1, July 15 and September 1
  • LSD may still be sold until December 1, 2010.
All highway diesel must be ULSD by 12/1/2010. In other words LSD cannot be sold after this date.

Sources for the above info were Chevron Diesel and the Clean Diesel Fuel Alliance and the EPA.