Time to put up or shut up!

/ Time to put up or shut up! #1  

Farmwithjunk

Tractor
Where do I begin.....
Every few months, there's a post where someone wants to know "how much to charge" for various tractor related chores. Quite frequently it's regarding bush hogging. I've replied to a few. Obviously there's a great disparity in pricing from state to state. Here in Kentucky, a person will be LUCKY to get $45 or $50 an hour for 45 to 60 HP/6' to 7' mower under normal conditions.

Well, I got lucky.

During the summer, I started trying to get bids on mowing a large acreage belonging to a family trust (wifes family) It's over 100 miles from home, so I wasn't really interested in doing it myself if there was someone who'd do it at a fair price. We found that. It's now contracted through this time next year.

What followed was unexpected. During the process of bidding the work, the court appointed trustee started "working" me to price mowing properties they manage that are near my home. Most are 10 to 50 acre average, semi-rural to suburban settings, and previously kept mowed. Not tough jobs to speak of.

I was offered $75 an hour, travel time included, $250 per job minimum, and I dictate WHEN they get cut. (Don't let them get over-grown.... Probably cut 4 to 6 times per year) I'm estimating 16 to 20 hours per week at the max based on list of properties now in their control. Should work load increase significantly, I already have 1st employee in line.

Looks like I'm going to take a stab at it. Already have insurance policies, my accountant is onboard, and equipment is ready. Train leaves the station first thing next spring. Probably won't have to add on to the bank vault, but I reasonably expect to make a few bucks.

/ Time to put up or shut up! #2  
F.W.J.: You know, I never gave the "court" a thought, but trustees and estate executors are not usually "picky" about pennies. Sounds like you slipped in the barn and fell into a pile of ......roses. You know once this gets out, the rest of locals are gonna be knockin' on that trustee's door....Way to go! BobG in VA

/ Time to put up or shut up! #3  
Hey, you done good!

I've been in on several of these bid threads. I think there are a few rules I go by when I bid jobs:

** Never bid a price where you don't make a profit. After all, I can leave my tractor parked and come out ahead over buying fuel, spending my time, etc, just to make the monthy payment.............

** Since my jobs are generally one time deals, I add in an "unknown" factor. I've not worked a job yet where the person didn't want me to do "just one more thing" or more often, I find out they didn't clean out the firewood like they said they were going to, or I have to do several small tasks before I can do the real job.

** When I take a job, I do it like it should be done. I don't shortcut it just cuz I mis-bid it. This last weekend job, I cleaned up an area, moved a compost pile, dug out some landscape timbers, and planted grass.

What I didn't do in the bid process this time, which I will ALWAYS do next time, is take a shovel and dig a few test holes. The "garden" area I tilled used to have a rock drive there, so my tiller hammered and banged the whole time I was tilling.

I don't have the space for one now, but someday I might buy a 40HP tractor and bush hog, and just pick up jobs moving properties near our city. The city hassles people to keep these areas mowed. I think there's money there, especially if I can find a good deal on a utility tractor........

Have fun,
ron

/ Time to put up or shut up! #4  
Go for it once you have the insurance worked out.
Bob

/ Time to put up or shut up! #5  
Sounds good. Nice to have enough work lined up so that you can concentrate on doing it and not always be looking for more.

Andy

/ Time to put up or shut up! #6  
F.W.J.
That's great,maybe you will have to get the F40 MF50 restored a little ahead of time. A lucky break for you and I am sure you deserved it.

Stanley

/ Time to put up or shut up! #7  
16 to 20 hours per week at $75 per hour would make a nice retirement income for someone who did not want to work a full 40 hours. Of course, it's seasonal, but still a very nice deal for anyone. If you have the time and equipment while you keep your regular job, that will work too.

Congratulations! I think you've found a nice deal, but be sure to report back on how the job(s) turn out.

/ Time to put up or shut up!
jinman said:
16 to 20 hours per week at $75 per hour would make a nice retirement income for someone who did not want to work a full 40 hours. Of course, it's seasonal, but still a very nice deal for anyone. If you have the time and equipment while you keep your regular job, that will work too.

Congratulations! I think you've found a nice deal, but be sure to report back on how the job(s) turn out.

That's the plan anyway. (retirement income) I can take my lunchbox and march out the door in less than 3 years. I've made a few good choices over the years on saving enough to retire on, plus have a good pension coming. But I'd still like to have enough coming in from a part-time source to cover living expenses. My son will help me as needed. (He's that "1st employee" I was referring to) I'm not interested in making this a fulltime (40 hrs +) job. The 20 hour figure looks good to me. With normal growing seasons here, I can expect to stay busy 7 months a year.

The more I think about it, the better it seems! ;)

And it sure beats being a WalMart greeter :)

/ Time to put up or shut up! #9  
I think you did real good. Hope there are lots more jobs headed your way.

/ Time to put up or shut up! #10  
There seems to be an amazing number of guys around here who are in the lawncare/mowing/yard maintainence business. Many of the McMansions in town hire out the yard work. We had a guy teaching here last year who built up his mowing business over a couple of years and then retired in the middle of the school year when he got his 30 years in to go cut grass and move snow. He mows around the shopping area, homes, other businesses, clears parking lots and driveways, and is making more money than he did teaching.

Another guy retired from being a Captain with the Sheriff's department and set up a mowing business and a lot of guys get into it right out of the box.

It's pretty common, like I said. Of course, we also have the OSU/ATI (Agricultural Technical Institute) where they offer degrees in landscape management and stuff like that.

Even so, I'm always amazed at the number of different signs on the trucks pulling trailers filled with mowers and such.