Neck injuries

/ Neck injuries #1  

DCS

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4310
My neck has been hurting for 6 months or so, off and on. I finally went to the Doc about it and he seems to think it may be a torn rotator cuff. I asked him how in the world could that have happen. After discussing my activities and bringing up tractor work, he seems to think operating the tractor and looking backwards at lot (which I do spend a lot of the time watching the mower or the BB) may have caused the torn rotator cuff. Have you guys ever experienced any problems like this?

/ Neck injuries #2  
My stepfather fell off a bull dozer a few years ago, and put his arm out to catch himself, and the force of him hitting the ground forced his arm up, and his rotator cuf was torn.. i don't see how just looking over your shoulder would cause it to tear though..

Soundguy

/ Neck injuries #3  
I'm not an orthopedist but I also don't see how truning your neck a certain way would damage your rotator cuff unless the position also caused unusual strain on your shoulder. It does not require a violent injury to develop a rotator cuff tear but it is the more common cause depending on age. How old are you?

/ Neck injuries #4  
Afternoon DCS,
I had a similar injury to Soundguys father in law. I fell and put out my left arm to break the fall. On top of hurting my left shoulder I did a pretty good job on my wrist also :( :confused: It hurt for a few months and finally went away but I do occassionally get arthritic pain in the wrist :(

I hate goin to the Doc for stuff like that unless I break something:confused: :) It just causes you to spend money on something that will take care of itself eventually !

/ Neck injuries #5  
A torn rotator cuff can be much worse than a broken bone and a badly torn one will not get better, only worse....

/ Neck injuries #6  
Have you seen a Chiropractor?

The first time I hurt my back I went to the Doc In A Box, then the ER at 2:00am, and finally to "my" doctor per the health plan. He put me on 800mg of Motrin, hypercodeine, a muscle relaxer, and a steroid. It eased the pain but I was out of work for a week crashed on the couch.

A year or so later I hurt the back again buildng a retaining wall foundation. I felt the pain starting to cycle up so I went the bone cracker my wife swears by. So on a Friday I see him. After Xrays and an exam he sent me home with three instructions:eek:

He said to ice my back for 10 minutes every hour for as many hours a day that I could. Then come back on Monday. :eek::eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad::mad: I looked at him like he was some sort of monster from outerspace. Given what happened the year earlier I knew without meds I would be in the ER that weekend.

His second instruction, as he handed me his phone number, was to call him if the pain got worse. :eek::eek::eek:

Oh, yeah, he said I could take some Ipuprofin to help with the pain and inflamation. :eek::eek:

I thought the guy was out of his gourd.

I went home.

I did what he said.

I fet better. The pain cycled down. :D

Monday we started the actual bone cracking.

Basically the ice, the goofy pump up contraption for around my neck, and the bone cracking took away the pain. It took a weeks for the pain to go away. Or go away as much as it ever will. But at least I was able to function instead of being a veggie on the couch.

I was beyond skeptical about Chiropractors. Not no more.

Find a good bone cracker and see what the Doc says.

For use cold packs have been wonderful. And they are cheap. And they don't put me out of work. Or turn me into a veggie.

Maybe a Chiropractor can help?

Later,
Dan

/ Neck injuries #7  
I am a bit confused. What does a injured rotator cuff have to do with a pain in the neck/neck injury? The rotator cuff is on the shoulder joint close ot where your deltoid muscle is.

/ Neck injuries #8  
When you are looking back on your tractor, do you lean on your elbow? I ask because when I worked as an engineer for the railroad, I worked on a yard job. Switching cars and I would lean on my elbow with head out the window to watch the people on the ground for signals. I was walking around with my neck sore and stiff constantly. Finally, after several dr.'s and lots of pain and muscle relaxants, I went to see a chiropractor. Relief after a few weeks of adjustments. He also had me go to a massage therapist. Worked wonders, it seems the muscles were all knotted up from leaning on my elbow constantly and straining to see people on ground. I didn't get the full body massage just neck and shoulder area. But if you have never had a full body massage, it is worth it. Feel like a new man. Go see a chiropractor, I too was doubtful as the help it could offer, but now go on a regular basis!

/ Neck injuries #9  
Evening DCS.
Never heard of that before,but why not....take care of rotator cuff.
Maybe swivel 12 degree seat for future use???

/ Neck injuries #10  
DCS:

I used to work with geriatric clients. I have to quote one of them (a feisty 80 year old woman who talked her way out of a traffic violation on her electric wheelchair): "you do not age gracefully nor well". Hang in there- Jay :D!