Steiner lawn tractor

/ Steiner lawn tractor #31  
eddieb
thanks for your reply! I recently spoke with a dealer rep of Mast Lepley out of apple creek, ohio (they are the largest steiner dealer in the usa). I was talking to him about how I love my machine but its underpowered. He claims that kohler has a 30 hp engine that is a retro fit for any steiner. He says its actually smaller in size than my 18 hp b & s.

He said it would be $3,500 for the kohler put in. I would rather put it in myself for the cost of the engine if it is viable. You mention the axles possibly busting with say.... a rototiller. Is there a way to "beef up" the axles? I know that you said you think I should sell it and get another machine, I think your right but i just want to make sure I give it my all before I go that route. Thanks again for your insight!

Judd

/ Steiner lawn tractor #32  
Judd,The roto-tiller itself isnt all that heavy,but some attachments can be over 550 lbs.Loading rear weight and using a heavier attachment will break your axles.They went to a larger dia. axle on the newer machines.You can find specs on Tecumseh-Peerless transaxles on their website.If you are going to put 3000.00 in your machine,I would look at some of their used equipment,you could go with a heavier unit for a little more money.Anything with the peerless 2600 transaxle would be an upgrade for you. Eddie

/ Steiner lawn tractor #33  
Eddie
Thank you for your insight. I can only trust a sales man with dollar signs in his eyes so much. To get insight from some one that has "been there" is priceless.

So my next questions are as follows.... The steiner, as is, could it spin a 60 inch deck? Or am I stuck with the 48 inch? You think I could run a slip scoop with mulch or top soil in it? The reason I ask these is because I have a family member that would be interested in it, if I chose to sell it.

Thanks
Judd

/ Steiner lawn tractor #34  
Judd,I think you are ok for power with a 60" ,where you would be in trouble is lifting the deck and transporting it.You will bounce some and may stress the axles.I can put a load on the slip scoop that I can barely pick up,it will flatten my tires pretty good so I transport very slowly.Point being, all the load on your smaller front axles would not be a good thing.The front transaxle would be as bad to remove as the rear and I really dont want to do that again. Steiner didnt recommend the duals or 72" deck on the 415, it wasnt a power issue,the drivetrain isnt as heavy as the 430.

/ Steiner lawn tractor #35  
Eddie, all due respect to you as I've found your responses to be very informative, but I believe you may have made an error in suggesting anything of the Peerless 2600 series transaxle or higher would be an upgrade. I believe even the 430 (at least until 2003) had the Peerless 2500 which is equal in axle diameter to the tuff-torq K92 and superior to anything Hydro-torq manufactures (and much superiopr to either in torque output). Steiner 230 does have the Peerless 2600, but that is the two wheel drive model. Yes, I realize I'm a couple years late in this post. :)

/ Steiner lawn tractor #36  
Well after years of waiting, my customer with the Steiner 430 finally sold his property and was ready to sell the Steiner. I had hoped to get it for around five grand and ended up paying nine! Diesel, nice shape, two hundred hours, slip scoop, areator, snow blower and side discharge mower.

And I still don't see what all the hype is about! It's a miserable machine on so many levels! Aside from not even being able to take a bite out of a pile of 'A' gravel, the controls must have been designed by a complete idiot! If it were to have foot controls for the hydro, it might be a useable machine IMO. I really wish that there was a retrofit available for this. That and a joystick.

Another thing that I find strange, given the engine and supposed available power is that the machine does seem under powered. Cutting moderate grass, going up a good grade, and it just starts to die. This can be overcome, by slowing down the drive, but I do have experience in many diesel powered hydros, and something here just doesn't seem right. I mounted the snowblower when we had just a little snow a while ago and again found that it was quite gutless!

Other drawbacks? Knees hitting the instument panel, knee hitting keyswitch, shutting machine off unexpectedly, typical of articulated machines, very dangerous and unstable on steep slopes having just single wheels, no hydraulic power to do anything serious with, two speed gear selection requires tools!!!

Well, I will see what happens when we have some real snow, and make my decision then. A friend is bugging me to sell him the machine, (for what I paid)despite me trying to convince him otherwise!

/ Steiner lawn tractor #37  
Well after years of waiting, my customer with the Steiner 430 finally sold his property and was ready to sell the Steiner. I had hoped to get it for around five grand and ended up paying nine! Diesel, nice shape, two hundred hours, slip scoop, areator, snow blower and side discharge mower.

And I still don't see what all the hype is about! It's a miserable machine on so many levels! Aside from not even being able to take a bite out of a pile of 'A' gravel, the controls must have been designed by a complete idiot! If it were to have foot controls for the hydro, it might be a useable machine IMO. I really wish that there was a retrofit available for this. That and a joystick.

Another thing that I find strange, given the engine and supposed available power is that the machine does seem under powered. Cutting moderate grass, going up a good grade, and it just starts to die. This can be overcome, by slowing down the drive, but I do have experience in many diesel powered hydros, and something here just doesn't seem right. I mounted the snowblower when we had just a little snow a while ago and again found that it was quite gutless!

Other drawbacks? Knees hitting the instument panel, knee hitting keyswitch, shutting machine off unexpectedly, typical of articulated machines, very dangerous and unstable on steep slopes having just single wheels, no hydraulic power to do anything serious with, two speed gear selection requires tools!!!

Well, I will see what happens when we have some real snow, and make my decision then. A friend is bugging me to sell him the machine, (for what I paid)despite me trying to convince him otherwise!
From what you have described so far..........I would sell it in a heartbeat.

/ Steiner lawn tractor #38  
Industrial, you shouldn't need tools to change the speeds. Just flip the 2 levers, you aren't bolting the little safety tab each time are you?
If you do decide to sell it I would sell it all separate and you might get a few $'s back. The blowers are in real short suppy and are worth big $'s.
They are very underpowerred for the big deck and for blowing heavy snow. I still have all my attachments but haven't found a reasonally priced tractor unit yet. I'm planning to get another gasser as the diesel was a tough start even in only cool weather.

/ Steiner lawn tractor #39  
We still have no snow to speak of! Not complaining though.

Having said that, I drove a hundred miles in a snow storm a few weeks back to look at a Steiner 525, in good shape, going cheap. Seems, the dealer can't find anyone to buy it. They took it on trade for a Kaoti (sp?).

I had to see this (525) thing in person. The foot controls is definitely a VERY nice feature, even though a little hard to use. Probably just takes some getting used to. The machine had turf tires, exactly the same size and profile as another machine I have. A Cushman hydraulic ten foot mower, and I know how easy it is to get those clogged with mud, and your done. One HUGE drawback of that 525, is that it is in fact wider then the only available snow blower. Makes me wonder if the smarts ones left and started Ventrak not being able to take this kind of design and engineering any longer?

Speaking of which. I was driving and spotted a guy using a Ventrak to push snow. It was the first Ventrak I've seen in person. I had thought those had foot controls, but found out some time ago that they in fact do not. However, those controls mounted beside the seat, especially the hydro control with integrated hydraulic control must be a thousand times better (and user friendlier) then that of Steiner!

If I could trade my low hours, prestine 430 into a similar Ventrac, at low or no cost, I think I would do so in a heartbeat.

I am still contemplating ways to cut out of the way grass in wet and swampy areas with the 430. There is also, always the danger of striking the many stones that are around this area so I would not dare use the front mount finishing mower. Unfortunately, the sickle mower (made by Mast) has been discontinued and the rough cut mower is hellishly expensive and rare to find used!

/ Steiner lawn tractor #40  
I had thought those had foot controls, but found out some time ago that they in fact do not. However, those controls mounted beside the seat, especially the hydro control with integrated hydraulic control must be a thousand times better (and user friendlier) then that of Steiner!

If I could trade my low hours, prestine 430 into a similar Ventrac, at low or no cost, I think I would do so in a heartbeat.

I am still contemplating ways to cut out of the way grass in wet and swampy areas with the 430. There is also, always the danger of striking the many stones that are around this area so I would not dare use the front mount finishing mower. Unfortunately, the sickle mower (made by Mast) has been discontinued and the rough cut mower is hellishly expensive and rare to find used!

Ventrac's DO have a foot control option, they are just not standard. But like you said, the hydraulic control is so effortless you will never think about using the foot controls once you get used to it! As far as the rough cut, Ventrac's is cheaper and imo much better than the Steiner rough cut mower. Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done and is built like a tank like all of their other products. I know most of the belt attachments are interchangeable with a belt change, and I would assume the same for the tough cut, but you could always call Ventrac, they probably have customers that use their tough cut on Steiners, but don't quote me on that :D. Just an option for you to check out!

Also, throw some duals on your Steiner (or your future Ventrac :thumbsup:) and you will float over the wet areas that you mow!