Steiner lawn tractor

/ Steiner lawn tractor #41  
I like both my steiner's, each have different controls that are model specific. I think the utilimax was best built. Here are a few pics of my 410 and utilimax.

Attachments

• utilimax 005.jpg
    utilimax 005.jpg
    652.2 KB · Views: 7,692
  • utilimax 002.jpg
    utilimax 002.jpg
    540.3 KB · Views: 2,632
  • utilimax 001.jpg
    utilimax 001.jpg
    538.8 KB · Views: 2,910
Last edited:
   / Steiner lawn tractor #43  
Thanks JJZ for sharing the info with the steiner crowd.:thumbsup:

/ Steiner lawn tractor #44  
Thanks JJZ for sharing the info with the steiner crowd.:thumbsup:

I don't know anything about Steiners, but figured what the heck? Maybe someone is close enough to be interested in the machine, especially with that boom mower.

/ Steiner lawn tractor #45  
Steiners look cool with duals and it would certainly be safer on some of the hills that I cut. However, they make the footprint somewhat larger and I really only got this machine because of the handy size.

We did get some snow in the mean time. Nothing at all serious, but there is no doubt, that the blower is underpowered. Maybe, they just have the thing geared too quickly or something. I've NEVER had to go that slow, with that little snow to keep the revs up! Snow seems to shoot out of spots on the chute which is also annoying. In the course of half an hour, my knee hit the keyswitch four times while backing up, shutting the machine off from full throttle! Most annoying. I might have a collar machined to surround the switch. Too bad, because maneuvering around in that ugly little thing is kind of fun!

/ Steiner lawn tractor #46  
I spoke with a very friendly man at Steiner (Schiller) today. And learned something most interesting. I always assumed that the Diesel version of a small tractor or machine was always the most powerful offering. But apparently, here it is NOT the case. The Diesel, is in fact, somewhat underpowered! Something that has been addressed in the NEW 440!

It also, strangely, has foot controls! Hmmm!

I wonder, if they moved the location of the hydraulic remotes, to a more friendly spot?

I notice that Utili-max in this thread. Quite the fancy Pope Mobile! There is a similar, although not nearly as nice one, coming up for auction this weekend. Curious, what they are about. I am told, they are turbo, and possibly this could lead to grief!

/ Steiner lawn tractor
More or less powerful based on what? Horsepower rating? Heck, my Ford F350 has less horsepower than the wife's car, so it must be "less powerful" right? I could probably put her car in the bed (or on it at least) and never notice that it was back there. I KNOW she would notice if I hooked my truck to the back of her car, cause it probably wouldn't move!
Diesel's aren't always more powerful, but usually generate a lot more torque which gives them the impression of being more powerful. Keep them serviced and you can find the diesel still working when the gas engine has long been worn out!!
David from jax

/ Steiner lawn tractor #48  
Industrial Toys, any chance you were talking about the Jutzi sale? Lots of people there and lots of stuff. I was bidding on the Utillitymax but it wasn't something I really wanted, I also ran the 430 up abit because I wanted the blade off it. The 430 was just too tough, even the front idler assembly was missing. I did buy the Kubota 2560 with the leaf blower on it and a bunch of small stuff. I bid on the JCB backhoe for a buddy of mine but it went 1000 more than he wanted to spend, I think it was only worth 16 or 17 and not the 24000 that it went for.

/ Steiner lawn tractor #49  
I just read this whole thread...I have 2 steiner 420 4x4s where i work,and i just bought a Ventrac 4231 for my own business...Ive put over 8000 hrs on 2 steiners in 21 yrs....personally,and my help have run them an additional 5 thousand or so...so i know what breaks and what is strong....overall they are great machines,most models are underpowered,due to space restrictions there just isnt enough room to install a large 3 cyl L/C diesel or gas engine...we demoed a 420 diesel....it was so underpowered we wouldnt buy it...a 60 inch deck on normal growth at 5 mph was too much for this engine,it would chug black smoke and lose RPM....we ended up with an Onan P220 in our first Steiner,it was adequete barely,but ran hot and was pretty bad on fuel....after 5yrs 2000hrs and 3 dropped valve seats we gave up on it,and i put in a P224 Onan that i had to modify to fit,had to swap the 20s oil pan on,and the exhaust was different on the 24,otherwise it bolted in,it was a powerhouse engine but it ate exhaust valves every 800 hrs or so,I got about 2500 out of it before it was worn out....then I put in a Kohler Command 25 after seeing they were standard in the 430s...I simply ordered the 430s driveshaft,muffler,and misc parts and installed a generic 25Hp....that was in 2001,that engine is still running strong 11yrs later and about 4000 hrs,only thing ive done to it is a set of head gaskets last yr and a starter motor....says something for the engine and Shaeffers oil i run exclusively...this machine snapped 3 axles in the first 2 months we owned it,it was ordered with duals and the FEL ,apparently we were beta testers for Steiner,as they kept taking my machine back and installing larger axle shafts and housings,we were afraid to use the loader and duals,eventually we bought a Ford 1910 tractor and i still have the FEL but we havent used it in years,it wasnt cheap.....we use the 60 inch deck the most and pb 100 blower,that blower is awesome for fall clean ups....very powerful,but noisey...our newer machine is a 1997 420 that had a 22 Kohler Command,I repowered after 2 yrs with a 25Hp,since i had a need for a 20hp engine,i used the 22,and got a new 25 for the steiner,this was a nice improvement in power,there is a huge difference in power between a 624cc/22hp and a 724cc/25hp Kohler Command...Ive had both axles out of my machines at different times for snapped axles,and stripped threads in front housing....and they have been thru anything,those things are practically unstoppable with dual wheels...I can mow areas that you cannot walk in with a string trimmer,and mow hills steeper than you can stand on...amazing machines...
I just bought a used ventrac for myself,based on my dealer and research I went with the Briggs vanguard 953cc 31hp LC gas engine,all the info ive found on this engine shows it as basically indestructible,with a big power/ torque advantage over the LC Kubota gas and diesels that come in 430 Steiners...So far its clear to me that my new to me ventrac simply outperforms the older 420 Steiners hands down in most situations...the powerplant differences are huge...Although the steiners can pull incredibly well,I think the ventrac is just a step above....time with tell,I love both machines......
One more thing I wanted to touch on was diesel options,it seems neither Steiner or Ventrac has a great option...the Steiners D722 Kubota is a great engine,but its overrated,its rated at 21hp in a steiner,but in every kubota tractor its rated at 15-18hp at 3600....so it seems Steiner is using an unrealistic peak hp number...I think if they told the truth about it being an 18hp engine,they wouldnt sell any....The Ventrac uses a more powerful Briggs Vanguard LC in both turbod and NA versions,(31hp and 26.5)the only version that will last 1000 hrs in normal use is the NA model,the turbo is known to run hot and crack the head,as well and blow turbocharger from a plugged screen to the turbo,as well as hydro locking from filling oil too fast with a poor crankcase vent system...the NA diesel is the better of the 2 and neither can match the 31Hp gas version of that same engine...which they no longer make...so Ventrac needs a better diesel option as well...again there isnt a lot of room to fit an engine,it needs to be no longer than 15" from front of engine to back....

/ Steiner lawn tractor #50  
Raw Dodge, I think we all agree that Steiners and ventracs are all underpowered, why wouldn't they just lengthen the machine and fit a decent motor in there? Maybe a few more inches for our knees would be nice too. For guys like me the length is never an issue but the lack of power is. They could still have the smaller models for tight areas and little kids to drive. This means bigger axles and bigger, thicker housings too and bigger attachments for all the new power, oops I may have went too far. The trouble I have with mine is that I want to do bigger jobs with it than it really was made for. i have an L36 TLB and before that a Ford 1520, both are/were too big fo some of the work I want to do. PS, we don't usually cut grass with ours, we have Bobcats and a Walker for grass work.
If you are a member of lawnsite I have pics there of my attachments I made. Search under my user name and steiner to find it.