Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota R510, JD 6200, JD 770, Cushman 6150, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Steiner 430 Max w Kubota Gas, Kawasaki Diesel Mule

Default Re: Steiner lawn tractor

Cantoo. Yes, it was the Jutzi auction. I too bought the machine for the blade. Never noticed the pieces missing for the PTO! The engine and drivetrain are all right, and remarkeably, it doesn't leak oil. But the machine is rough. I may keep the wheels and seat, using the wheels to make duals and part the machine out. The gas kubota purrs like a kitten, but like any carburated gas engine, I can't stand dickering with the choke!

I paid way more than I should have, and hope I can get out of this mess alive!

Sure they can put in more horse power. Means a heavier drivetrain. Possibly heavier tires. More heat, bigger rad. Probably heavier attachments. All this puts it into a higher and much more expensive class of machine!
    Last edited by Industrial Toys; 05-23-2012 at 04:01 PM. Reason: More to ad

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ventrac, Steiner

Just read the entire thread. I bought a Steiner 430max , used, several years ago at an estate sale. It only had about 100hrs on it so it was same as new. It came with the trencher, stump grinder, dozer blade, slip scoop, pallet forks, dual wheels, and 60in mowing deck. I ran it for about 100 or so more hours and bought the ventrac 4200 diesel. All the steiner attachments fit. I dont know how many hours are on the Ventrac now, hr meter broke years ago. The Steiner has sat unused, except for the occasional crank to move out of the way, ever since I bought the Ventrac. Surfice to say, I like the Ventrac a lot more than the Steiner. My problem now is the Ventrac is pretty much used up, Hydraulics weak, and motor blowing oil. The machine was used commercial in sevier conditions for to long. Looks like I will soon be bringing the Steiner out of the mothballs if I cant find some good parts to fix the Ventrac with. If anyone had a good used pump to fit the Ventrac, I am interested in buying one, am also interested in a good used engine, prefer diesel, but one of the Vanguard gas would work. Bigger the hp the more interested I would be in the engine.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L35 TLB

Industrial, sorry I missed your response. That machine was rough but the blade made it a decent deal. I ended up buying an anniversary model that Kitchener Tractor had sitting on their lot. More than I wanted to pay and it only has the 20 hp motor on it but we had too many lawn sweeping customers lined up and I needed one right away. Did a lawn reno with it, some lawn rolling and all the sweeping. Just did a bunch of spraying with it so now it'll sit until next spring. I'm still going to buy another 1 or 2 if I can find some deals, always looking for them. I'll likely see you at another Jutzi sale, I don't miss too many. I usually have my white dodge with flatbed on it pulling a black trailer. Name is on the truck, Dalbet Grass Cutting. I'm the guy running everybody up, say Hi it'll likely end up saving you some money.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota R510, JD 6200, JD 770, Cushman 6150, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Steiner 430 Max w Kubota Gas, Kawasaki Diesel Mule

I didn't make the auction yesterday. Nothing major I wanted and it isn't worth getting up early and driving for the small stuff. Great auctions though. No buyers premium. There was another Steiner I noticed. I just finished fixing up that old Steiner 430 MAx, kubota Gaser from the auction. Must say, I am so impressed, I thought about keeping it. Just got a stump cutter, so have a fair number of attachments, and sometimes it would be nice to have two machines on the go. Bought a dual wheel kit for my 430 Diesel. Did a job in the fall leveling some mud, I couldn't even walk in. Never realized so much mud was getting in between the wheels, which later froze and I couldn't get the **** things apart.

Built a really neat front mounted rake with floating tines for gathering up debris from felling trees. Then cut part of my finger off! Found a nasty pinch hazard, taking it off in the dark! Steiners are so much fun!

The longer I use the 430, the more I like it. It really is quite a friendly, capable little tractor, if you acknowledge its limitations. I don't know it it is the small fuel tank, or the thing is thirsty, I'm speaking the Diesel now) but it is perpetually close to empty.

I am working on a small forklift attachment for the front. Made out of an old walk behind hydraulic load lifter. Sounds kind of like an invitation for some other interesting accident! I am curious, what it will lift and if I need to worry about the Axles. It was a late 90s model I believe. I am thinking that given the weak hydraulics, I won't be close to carrying any huge weight up front.

Tractor
    Ventrac 4231 Gas

I love my 4231 Gas Liquid Cooled - I had around 900 hours on the first one when I found out that they were not going to be offering the same engine any longer. I traded the 2004 in for the 2011. I am happy with the Gas engine and believe it would be worth your effort to put a new engine in the tractor if you can find one. Ventrac (in my opinion) is a better built tractor than the Steiner. The Steiner brothers decided to build the Ventrac heavier and stronger than the Steiner after the Steiner brand name was sold.

Quote Originally Posted by muddstopper View Post
    Just read the entire thread. I bought a Steiner 430max , used, several years ago at an estate sale. It only had about 100hrs on it so it was same as new. It came with the trencher, stump grinder, dozer blade, slip scoop, pallet forks, dual wheels, and 60in mowing deck. I ran it for about 100 or so more hours and bought the ventrac 4200 diesel. All the steiner attachments fit. I dont know how many hours are on the Ventrac now, hr meter broke years ago. The Steiner has sat unused, except for the occasional crank to move out of the way, ever since I bought the Ventrac. Surfice to say, I like the Ventrac a lot more than the Steiner. My problem now is the Ventrac is pretty much used up, Hydraulics weak, and motor blowing oil. The machine was used commercial in sevier conditions for to long. Looks like I will soon be bringing the Steiner out of the mothballs if I cant find some good parts to fix the Ventrac with. If anyone had a good used pump to fit the Ventrac, I am interested in buying one, am also interested in a good used engine, prefer diesel, but one of the Vanguard gas would work. Bigger the hp the more interested I would be in the engine.

Tractor
    AC

They use to make forks for the Steiner. There is a set on Ebay for sale.
    steiner mower | eBay

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by lawntamer View Post
    They use to make forks for the Steiner. There is a set on Ebay for sale.
    steiner mower | eBay
    expensive at 1500.00
    Murph ------------

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456