Steiner lawn tractor

/ Steiner lawn tractor #1  

sandman2234

Tractor
JD2555 and a few Allis Chalmers and now one Kubota
OK, so maybe it isn't a tractor, but so close it seems like it. I purchased one last year, that was ten years old, sight unseen. It was a "non run" at an employee's only auction, but my friend had it running before I got there. It has it's problems, but all in all it is a pretty decent lawnmower. 4 wheel drive, hydrostatic, Kubota 23.5hp diesel, articulate steering, cuts 5' and up to 84" decks are available. Many more attachments than you would expect from a lawn mower. I got a pair of 60" decks, and a leaf blower for mine, and since then have purchased two 76" reel mowers (3 gang), and a 10KW generator. The reel mowers mow too close for my yard, so they are sitting out back doing nothing. One was for parts in case the other one broke.
I was recently contacted by another TBN member that uses Steiner equipment on his vast acreage, which is what promped me to write this post.
The question is, do any of you guys have Steiner lawn mowers, and which model? What attachments do you have for them, and what do you do with them?
Mine is a 1996 Steiner 525 and I mow about an acre of my 2.5 plus my MIL across the street has about 2 in grass that I mow every other week.
David from jax

/ Steiner lawn tractor #2  
Hey David from jax, Steiners are cool! You have any pictures to post of yours?

/ Steiner lawn tractor #3  
I have had 2 Steiner 420s, a 430, and now have a Ventrac 4200. The Steiner brothers who designed the original Steiner tractors sold the company several years ago and formed a new company, Venture Products, to design and manufacture Ventrac equipment Ventrac. Great machines! I was first attracted to these tractors because when equipped with dual wheels, they can safely operate on slopes of up to 30 degrees.

JackIL

/ Steiner lawn tractor
MossRoad,
Sorry, but I have never taken any pictures of my Steiner. Guess I can wander out there with a camera sometime in the near future. I had some of the generator attachment I purchased, built by a shop, using a Steiner generator as a pattern, and a Harbor Freight PTO generator head. I bought it to replace the Miller Bobcat portable welder (8Kgenerator) that I sold, but they got dumped in Sept when my computer died.
Maybe somebody can post some of theirs to hold you over till I get a chance to take some.
David from jax

/ Steiner lawn tractor #5  
sandman2234 said:
OK, so maybe it isn't a tractor, but so close it seems like it.
Sure its a tractor. Ugly and odd, but darn they work well, and they do it where other tactors fear to tread!

Like Jack, I also own a Ventrac (just as ugly as a Steiner). I looked at the Steiners, Ventracs and Power Tracs. In my case, Ventrac had the best machine for what I needed to accomplish, given that I have some other tractors for other tasks. But the Steiners were just as interesting and just as capable.

There is one model Steiner that I am particularly attracted to, and might get at some point in the future if I get rid of one of my traditional tractors. The UtiliMax is an nifty design. 1/2 UTV and 1/2 Tractor. :)
Steiner - Utilitmax: UM428

/ Steiner lawn tractor #6  
Bob_Skurka said:
Sure its a tractor. Ugly and odd, but darn they work well
i dont think steiners are ugly or odd, they are just about the coolest things out there. they look meaty and ready to work, a real mans machine. haha

/ Steiner lawn tractor #7  
dirtdude007 said:
i dont think steiners are ugly or odd, they are just about the coolest things out there.
I admit that I love them (and Ventracs and Power Tracs too) but I still think they are ugly. But as they say. . .Beauty is in the eye of the BEERholder :D

/ Steiner lawn tractor #8  
I've got a sentimental attitude toward the Steiner and Ventrac since they originated not too far from here. I used a Steiner when working as a Naturalist -- the kind that wears clothes and leads nature hikes -- for MWCD. I made a mile long nature trail through the woods by simply driving the mower along where I wanted the trail to be. It worked great.

The Steiner attachment list is almost endless. The major drawback I have is that the FEL does not lift very high at all.

The 3 wheelers were interesting -- the single rear wheel did the steering, offering more maneuverability than the articulated 4 wheeler. You can get them in 2 wd also, and they make some pretty large ones for the commercial market. We have a big dark green one here at school.

/ Steiner lawn tractor
Dark Green? Does that one fall under the Steiner name, or Ransomes?
For those not in the loop with Steiners, the ownership transferred overseas for a while, and the company produced machines under another name. Then they were bought out by Textron(?) and returned to the Steiner name.
I have a Ransomes walk behind that is too fast for me. I bought it from a guy with a limp that said he couldn't keep up with it, on his small yard. I figured it would be ok on my larger lot, but I don't use it, really prefer the Steiner.The walk behind is too much work for me, when I can sit down and do the same thing.
David from jax

/ Steiner lawn tractor #10  
The custodial supervisor calls it a Steiner. He's a cousin or something to the guys who started the company. The thing is probably 50% bigger than the usual red ones you see on college campuses or mowing some private lawn. I haven't seen it up close and personal, just from a distance.

EDIT: I just saw Vince and asked him about it. He said it's a Ransome, but they come down the same assembly line, just some get green paint and some get red. The green ones are supposedly for foreign markets or something like that. Take it for what it's worth.

Last edited: