Wood Lot Machines

/ Wood Lot Machines #1  

DAP

Veteran Member
From Orange County NY to Lincoln County ME
Tractor
JD LX288 and a B7800
I have a friend who owns a 50 acre wood lot with a small hobby type milling operation on it.

He's using an old CJ (Jeep) to skid things around but has decided he want's a tractor type device for the lot - for the versatility it might offer (loader, 3ph, hydraulics, etc.)

The main issue as I see it is the requirement for ground clearance. This acreage doesn't have many logging roads (perhaps he'll make some) and it is mostly Maine white pine and some hardwoods. He's looking at 28-35 horsepower CUTs with diesels and 4WD and it is hard to make recommendations because of the clearance issues.

Anyone have any better suggestions regarding a machine for this purpose?

/ Wood Lot Machines #2  
Just a thought, instead of looking at clearance you could look for a shorter wheel base. It might give you less space to get stuck on. That's why jeeps are good at what they do.

/ Wood Lot Machines #3  
Tuff one. I know if my primary use was skidding logs on trails I would not go with a farmtrac compact. Its got way too many things on the bottom that'll break quick-like. I'd check out any company that offers factory skid pan/underbelly protection. I'd also be quite concerned with stability.
I might check out the farmtrac utility line in 4x4. They aren't compacts but they sure look rugged and high up with the R1's.

/ Wood Lot Machines #4  
I have yet to see a CUT that didn't look vulnerable from the underside.

/ Wood Lot Machines #5  
What about a tracked skid-steer (cat, bobcat, etc). Not a lot of ground clearance but it should be able to dodge stumps fairly easily.

/ Wood Lot Machines #6  
any CUT with a few mods of amorment on the bottom should do the trick..

/ Wood Lot Machines #7  
I'm not sure what the terrain is like in Lincoln County, but here in the northwest corner of York County, it is pretty hilly. I also have a woodlot. I'm happy with the job my 36 hp Cub 7360 does hauling logs, etc. But when I bought, I compared similar models of other colors, looking for widest track, longest wheelbase, and heaviest weight. In the hilly terrian, I wanted the largest stance I could find. I also have my R1's loaded to help keep it right side up. I'll probably buys some chains for the winter snow plowing and use them through mud season in the spring.

When I pull the heaviest logs, I pull them backwards. I hook the tow chain to my FEL and keep the leading edge of the log a foot off the ground. That way, the heaviest end of the tractor is opposite the log. I do not have a logging winch on my CUT, although I'd love to have one. I am just super careful knowing that tractors can be operated in a dangerous way and that logging is a dangerous profession.

/ Wood Lot Machines #8  
DAP said:
I have a friend who owns a 50 acre wood lot with a small hobby type milling operation on it.

He's using an old CJ (Jeep) to skid things around but has decided he want's a tractor type device for the lot - for the versatility it might offer (loader, 3ph, hydraulics, etc.)

The main issue as I see it is the requirement for ground clearance. This acreage doesn't have many logging roads (perhaps he'll make some) and it is mostly Maine white pine and some hardwoods. He's looking at 28-35 horsepower CUTs with diesels and 4WD and it is hard to make recommendations because of the clearance issues.

Anyone have any better suggestions regarding a machine for this purpose?

Power Trac with a grapple bucket. These things are beasts, built out of solid steel plating, the entire underside of the unit is a giant skid plate, full time 4wd, articulated steering so it goes places standard tractors can not, 12 degree oscillation between front and rear sections so all 4 tires stay on the groung more often, ROPS and canopy for falling object protection, really too much to list as to why these things are perfect for small scale forestry. Don't worry about ground clearance, that is not an issue with these units. All four tires are the same size. They go in reverse just as well as forward. Also, the quick attach system on the Power Trac would allow your friend to disconnect the grapple bucket and mount any other attachment, like pallet forks, in about 45 seconds. The grapple bucket would be great for grabbing logs either in the middle or by an end and carrying it(not dragging it) out of the woods. This would leave the log in better condition than dragging. Pallet forks are ideal for stacking logs and keeping your wood storage area neat and clean, as well as loading logs onto a sawmill, although the grapple bucket could do that, too.

Check out their website at Power Trac's Website to get an idea of what size units are available. A bonus is that Power Trac lists their prices on their website... no guessing.

/ Wood Lot Machines #9  
Morning DAP.
How much thousands $$'s your friend willing to spend?
Wood lot,is it flat...slopes...wet 50% or more?

There are more and more good used 2WD tractors w/fel & 3pt hitches w/40 hp or more for sale...good set of tire chains one will be surpirse what they can do.

I would also consider cab or some sort of protection when hauling logs...falling limbs,branch can hurt. :(

/ Wood Lot Machines #10  
I got a 38 HP CUT and I skid logs all winter. A little good judgement goes a long ways in keeping a machine running.