ATV/small engine advice

/ ATV/small engine advice #1  

Trahere

Bronze Member
We have several small engines on our weekend property we try to keep trickle charged, but after extended periods they may be uncooperative.

The question is, what are the best methods to crank a small engine after an extended period of rest.

Specifically, Briggs and Stratton, Kawasaki, Tecumseh, Honda, Koler.

Thanks for your help,

Trahere

/ ATV/small engine advice #2  
If extended means like after a full summer or full winter, then...

You have to start by running the last few tanks with stabil or similar and fogging it with fogging oil before you shut it off 6 months ago. Then pull the plugs out and crank it over a few times to get the fresh fuel and oil where they need to be. Then put the plugs back in after cleaning, checking and setting gaps.

They should start up nicely.

jb

/ ATV/small engine advice
Thanks John_Bud,

Yes, extended does mean weeks, but I have had trouble with the engines after one week! What I'm looking for is a general suggestion on small engines. Maybe I need a small engine blog!

/ ATV/small engine advice
Look I don't need a lot of !

/ ATV/small engine advice #5  
I sometimes leave my honda motorcycle, a 400cc dirtbike, unstarted for several weeks at a time. Every gallon of fuel year round has stabil in it. The typical small engine does not care if it is left for a few months, that is just fine.

A couple of things you can do are to turn the fuel petcock to off and then run the engine until it dies in order to empty the carb of fuel. The other is to bring the piston to top-dead-center on the compresion stroke to ensure that all the valves are closed and that the combustion chamber is as small as possible.

You seem to be having more trouble with keeping a battery topped off. I would either manually disconnect the battery or install a marine type of battery disconnect switch to isolate the battery from the machine.

For long term storage like over the winter I would agree with pulling the plug and oiling the cylinder.

/ ATV/small engine advice #6  
Trahere said:
Look I don't need a lot of !

Huh??

I also agree with the suggestion to add disconnects on the batteries. In general all battery connections should be coated with dielectric grease. Home Centers and large hardware stores should carry it. Put it on the battery posts and on the connection to the starter. On heavy equipment like tractors or high compression engines adding a ground wire directly to a starter bolt also helps reduce parasitic voltage drop giving a faster start.

Are you storing the equipment in a dry area or damp? Some metal sheds seem to collect moisture and transfer it to the contents. Ventilation and a waterproof floor can cure most of that (if it's an issue). If it's a shed, roofing membrane covered with 1" rock to a thickness of 3-4" then filled with sand or crushed stone works well.

jb

/ ATV/small engine advice #7  
Any small engine that isn't regularly started, I try to run its carburetor dry. I do this on my generator with a fuel cut-off valve. On my chain saw, I empty the tank and run it until it dies.

At the end of the season, I run my lawn mower engine until it runs out of fuel.

On startup, a shot of ether helps a lot, particularly if it isn't too warm out.

I switched to Mobil 1 in all my air cooled engines. On the 2 cycle ones, I haven't done anything to them except to run them dry on shut down at the end of the season or every time on the chain saw.

Sea Foam is supposed to be especially good for both 4 cycle and 2 cycle engines to clean them out before shut down. Some choke them down with too much of it to shut them down. I haven't done this yet, but I have to do something to my 35 year old Stihl. It started the other day instantly with some ether and usual full choke, fire, half choke startup. When I got ready to take it off half choke and use it, it died and wouldn't restart. It's gonna be a bear to get restarted with fuel left in the carb. Left fuel in the carb ONCE in its life and had a time getting it going.

My experience on any 2 cycle engine is you GOTTA open their throttles wide open to start them. The Stihl has a throttle stop that keeps it open when cranking, but on my little multi-use 2 cycle engine I just hold its throttle wide open. The Lawnboy is wide open with full choke to start it.

Ralph

/ ATV/small engine advice #8  
Brigs and Tec are particularly prone to have sticky carb floats/needles once they sit. i reccomend the stabil'd gas too.

Fogging never hurts either.

Soundguy