Make your living with your tractor?

/ Make your living with your tractor? #11  
We just park next to it and toss it in. All light weight material. If we do run across something heavy, just keep it in the fel, drive the tractor to the dumpster and dump it in.

Paul

/ Make your living with your tractor? #12  
The truck mount works great and can go into half ton trucks. The disadvantage is that you no longer can store as much in the pickup box because of the dumpbox. Also it is a pain to remove but if you have a dedicated truck to put it in then it is a great alternative. What I liked about the trailer is if you are loading at one site you can leave the tractor there to load and dump at another site and when you are done get your tractor. All of EZ dumpers products are well made and they have a product to meet just about everybodys demand. Cost wise you would have to figure out which would work the best, we went with the UDT because it allowed us to hual more material then the truck mounted unit. If you already have a trailer to haul your tractor then the truck mount would probally be the best way instead of licensing two trailers but if you don't you could kill two birds with one stone. No offense to Bird /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif.

/ Make your living with your tractor? #13  
Are you looking at construction jobs like some of the guys have mentioned or ag related jobs? If you're looking at ag related jobs there is quite a bit in doing custom farming jobs but the equipment costs are high. That's why alot of guys with not much ground contract out the work. I know a few guys that do this and they make a very comfortable living.

/ Make your living with your tractor? #14  
Paul,
Which of the two JD you rather use?

/ Make your living with your tractor?
Richard,

I would probably do some of each. Construction/clean-up because there is a lot of that around here and light ag because I have some of the equipment, rotary mower, finish mower, box blade, rake etc. I am not sure what you mean by custom farming.

/ Make your living with your tractor? #16  
Mike,
I was talking about haying, planting, field work, combining, etc.

/ Make your living with your tractor? #17  
Thomas:

I'd say the 1050. Its a gear tranny, great for the wide open areas. But that can get boring after a few hours. The 955 with the hst is great with a 5' rotary, mainly use that for trimming and the smaller lots. Usually the wife picks the 1050, I run the 955, and I can pick up rocks/concrete as I go.

Paul

/ Make your living with your tractor? #18  
Mike:
Custom Farming Means real big equipment that costs lots of bucks and real big trucks to haul it around with.

Egon

/ Make your living with your tractor? #19  
Egon,
That's not necessarily true. My one friend is a retired foreman from Oscar Meyer and he farmed 250 acres his whole life. He still farms that and he does custom farming for other guys. His total equipment probably wouldn't bring 25-40k at an auction. He's got a bean planter, corn planter, five bottom plow, '77 JD combine with heads for corn and beans, paid $4k for it two years ago to replace a Massey that he had, 12' disc, 4020 JD, and a 3020 JD. He mostly plants and combines for guys that have the smaller farms like his. He told me last year doing it pretty much full-time during planting and harvesting he made about 35k. That's not too bad for working probably three or four months out of the year with 20-35 year old equipment.

/ Make your living with your tractor? #20  
cowboydoc:
Again I stand corrected in the assumption my little world is the universe. Happens all the time and I never learn. I was thinking of custom combining or haying when there are many sections of land involved and 24 hour operation if conditions allow.
I always made the top 99.9% of the class possible.

Egon